FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Sheraton Stockholm, Sweden [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/460268-sheraton-stockholm-sweden-master-thread.html)

apl175 Sep 25, 2004 2:16 pm

Sheraton Stockholm, Sweden [Master Thread]

After reading several of the great reviews of this hotel, I decided to make a reservation from the 22nd to the 27th of September (yes, I'm here at the hotel right now) for some business that had brought me to Stockholm for the weekend. I found a package deal that included breakfast each morning, and the Stockholm Tourist card (with the first night paid for using Starpoints as this package deal was only for the weekend).

First off, the reservation I had booked wasn't quite right, and there was confusion over the type of reservation I had made. They seemed surprised that the package deal I booked even existed and they were not able to reassure me that I'd get my quoted rate and inclusions during my stay. This problem however was resolved the next day at 10am, when I was told that my Stockholm Cards had arrived. OK - good follow through there.

Secondly, they refused to upgrade me to a higher class room, beyond my booked "Executive Level Room". Others on this forum with gold status seem to state they were IMMEDIATELY upgraded to a "Tower Room", which apparently has better bedding (see below). I was told with a great deal of certainty, that the hotel NEVER upgrades GOLD members to Tower Rooms regardless of the room they book, and that the room I had was an UPGRADE already (which it wasn't - the Executive Room was part of the package deal) and that only Platinum members were entitled to Tower Rooms. The gentleman I dealt with also stated that most of the Tower Rooms were "closed off" due to fire-protection systems work. No other substitute offers were made.
(Some, in the Arabella Sheraton chain have even given me complementary parking, sometimes worth EUR 35,- /day as compensation under these circumstances).

Lastly, the hotel itself isn't quite as nice as everyone seems to make it. Service at the restaurant was quite slow, and logistically challenged (my entree came out about 25 minutes before my appetizer - and my server seemed annoyed at me pointing out that I hadn't received it yet.). There is no in-room internet access, one must sit amongst the smoking crowd on the Mez or lobby to check one's e-mail. The rooms themselves have scuffed wooden flooring, walls and windows that seem to have undergone several layers of repainting, and there was grout-mildew in between the bath tiles.
The beds are of especially poor quality with what feel like "wear spots" in the mattresses where one can feel the wire springs on one's back.

Just to be fair, the hotel does offer a great location close to the train station and T, and the breakfast buffet is rather nice, and the servers at "Die Ecke" where I ate the first night here were actually quite hospitable and attentive. Security is also a bit better, with lift key-card access required to any of the guest floors, and a dedicated lift to the car park.

Still, I've had MUCH better service, and more concerned hotel staff at the Sheraton Danbury in Connecticut! Jeers to the Sheraton Stockholm.

Next time, it's one of the SAS Raddison hotels for me.

venk Sep 25, 2004 3:07 pm

To be fair, the Gold "upgrades" are yet another of those "deceptive" marketing promises from the same people that bring you the "free" things.

You were not entitled to get the Tower rooms. It wouldn't matter if someone else at some point did. Seems like your expectation for the Gold level is a bit too high. At best, you are entitled to a "preferred" (does not equate to best either) room in the category you have booked.

Second, other than the Radisson (and one or two other hotels), Stockholm is the absolute worst European city for hotel/room quality especially given the price. And in that cess pool of hotels, the Sheraton fares relatively well but not as well as the Radisson across the street. So while I agree with the assessment of the hotel, I think the previous comments must be taken in the context of what Stickholm has to offer.

For another example, the Hilton in Stockholm looks like a Motel 6 compared to the Copenhagen airport Hilton and the treatment of elites is terrible. Yet, within the context of Stockholm, it seems like one of the tolerable hotels.

apl175 Sep 25, 2004 3:40 pm

I don't believe it's entirely wrong to base one's expectations on the experiences of others in similar situations - this is what I believe Flyertalk to be about. My expectations for the Starwood GOLD program may seem high, however I believe my expectations are more for the program to be consistent. It certainly isn't as high or as audacious if I had been a Plat member, however there is some expectation for upgrade or equivalent recognition. In the end, I believe I've received neither - which goes directly against my experiences at virtually every other propety within the Starwood family I've stayed at.

I was certainly not asking for their BEST room (the Tower Rooms are not their best rooms, however they are next in line on their room types, next to "Classic" and "Executive" and right below their "Suites"). I wasn't even asking to be upgraded on my free "starwood points" night...only on the nights I paid real money for.

For the benefit of the rest of the audience here's what SPG.com says about being a GOLD member
As an elite member, you don't need to redeem Starpoints for a room upgrade --- you'll automatically be given a Preferred Room at check-in when available.
You are indeed correct...that it's confusing that 'upgrade' is used alongside with the phrase "Preferred Room".

Maybe I'm growing to be a bit too particular and grouchy about things in my older age.....

Originally Posted by venk
You were not entitled to get the Tower rooms. It wouldn't matter if someone else at some point did. Seems like your expectation for the Gold level is a bit too high. At best, you are entitled to a "preferred" (does not equate to best either) room in the category you have booked.

venk Sep 25, 2004 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by apl175
For the benefit of the rest of the audience here's what SPG.com says about being a GOLD member
As an elite member, you don't need to redeem Starpoints for a room upgrade --- you'll automatically be given a Preferred Room at check-in when available.

Maybe I'm growing to be a bit too particular and grouchy about things in my older age.....

Nope it is not just you. I have pointed here before that the exact quote above from SPG.com is sheer marketing hyperbole of the type that gives all marketing a bad name.

I am yet to find a hotel that will upgrade Golds as the norm to a room that general SPG members or non-elites can upgrade to with points. In other words, the rooms you can actually upgrade to with points are almost always rooms that Golds as a policy don't get "upgraded" to. So that claim is vacuous at best. May be there is an exception here and there but it had been clarified here many times that Golds are simply given a "preferred room" which may mean a club floor in most cases which are the same rooms as every other room. Any "upgrades" Golds get is entirely a local decision by the Hotel.

More recently, "best available room" for a plat appears to be moving towards another hyperbole given the practice of hotels.

For a program that actually delivers more than most other programs, I don't know why they have to resort to this unethical marketing from time to time.

Nevsky Sep 26, 2004 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by venk
Second, other than the Radisson (and one or two other hotels), Stockholm is the absolute worst European city for hotel/room quality especially given the price. And in that cess pool of hotels, the Sheraton fares relatively well but not as well as the Radisson across the street. So while I agree with the assessment of the hotel, I think the previous comments must be taken in the context of what Stickholm has to offer.

For another example, the Hilton in Stockholm looks like a Motel 6 compared to the Copenhagen airport Hilton and the treatment of elites is terrible. Yet, within the context of Stockholm, it seems like one of the tolerable hotels.

The Sheraton Stockholm is a fine, if average, property with a friendly staff. The lounge had very nice snacks when I was there awhile ago. My upgraded room was small with a nice balcony.

I later moved to the Grand Hotel Stockholm which is truly grand and luxurious and ranks with the world's best.

suitcasejockey Sep 26, 2004 10:54 pm

I had an AMAZING experience at the Sheraton Stockholm within the past two months. Granted, I am platinum, but still it was great. The only complaint I had was the internet is only on the second floor (meeting room floor).

They upgraded me to an excellent suite, the whole place looked like it was made by ikea out of hardwood. The location was amazing, the price was reasonable, and the lounge was superb. The breakfast in the lounge (free) was amazing for a sheraton lounge, and the open bar happy hour gives free drinks that would cost $10-$20 anywhere in the nearby area. If you were an alcoholic, this would have easily paid for the whole stay ;)

Also the amenity was a really cool Sheraton Stockholm martini shaker, and they had free coke in GLASS BOTTLES in the lounge.

Raffles Sep 27, 2004 6:17 am

Location-wise, for tourists, the Grand and the Strand are the best places to hit. However, room quality is exceptionally variable. The Grand has rooms of 12 sq m - smaller than most hotel bathrooms (not a joke). Many others (even the harbour-side deluxe ones) are shoddy. Snag one of the refurbished rooms overlooking the harbour, however, and it's fantastic.

Platcomike Sep 28, 2004 10:31 am

I am there right now and love the place

I am at the Stockholm Sheraton also, right now. Have been for a week.

I was upgraded to a nice junior suite, and get a lovely breakfast on the "tower" floor and free drinks at night. I am SPG platinum. Choice of a number of "local" gifts for my amenity.

Every day they deliver the Financial Times to my room about 6am.

My two colleagues are gold and both received upgrades to tower level with lounge privileges. They did not have to ask.

The service here is fantastic and the people are just so very nice. My bed is just fine for the wife and I and the suite allows us to entertain our colleagues in the room.

apl175 Sep 29, 2004 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Just to provide some context for your complaints, apl175, have you ever stayed in Stockholm before? How about Europe?

Well, it was the first time in Stockholm for me, while travelling on business. In terms of Europe, I've stayed at Sheraton (and Arabella Sheraton) properties in the UK, Germany, and the Netherlands also while travelling on business.

Other travel through Switzerland (especially Bern, and Zurich), and Austria, date back several years to before I was an SPG card holder, and was still catering towards my HHonors Points+Miles.

RTWSTARALLIANCE Jul 17, 2005 10:44 pm

Sheraton Stockholm report 07/17/2005

Preface: On Star Alliance award. Did CPH yesterday. One night here then onto FRA for my next morning flight. Express tourist.

Rate: I booked online and continued to hope for a lower rate. It never happened. ARN is a expensive place as you will see below. A large Japanese tour group arrived when I did along with I see a Tauck tour. So pretty busy.

Transportation: Here it comes. Upon exiting arrivals look right. You are first looking for a ATM. You will see a exchange booth. Skip that. I changed my remaining Danish money to Sweden crowns. The commission nearly 10% on my amount. Rip. Remember life before euro. The ATM is to the left of the booth.

You are next looking for the Arlanda Express ticket booth. Buy your ticket here. A return ticket is like $50 US. They will take a credit card. The booth is very near the ATM. If you buy a ticket onboard the Express expect to pay a 50 crown additional fee. Now looking at the booth look right. Head towards the elevator lifts along the wall. Take the lift to the Express platform. Now if you think about what I just paid in CPH the Express is a rip. $10 US in CPH.

Upon arrival at the Central Station you need to pay attention. Head towards the Arlanda Express ticket center. Pass thru the center heading straight. Just before entering the actual Station break left and head outside. Look forward you should see a McDonalds. Cross the street. When you reach the other side break a hard right. Keep walking for maybe six minutes and the Sheraton will be on your left. Go around for the entrance. Definitely not a cab ride unless you have lots of luggage.

Check-in: This process was a little slow. Remember that Japanese tour group. Two agents finally appeared which speeded up the process. I knew from looking at my res online I had already been upgraded to a junior suite with Lounge access on 8. The gentleman was very professional and noted my Starwood Amex card, status and amount of points in my account. That works. As a P amenity you have a choice of mini bar credit, movie or wines. With deep regret the martini shacker is nolonger a option. He did offer to look. Out of stock.

Perks: As noted above along with my late check-out. The Lounge is a very small size with limited service on weekends. That means no hot items yesterday evening (Sunday). During the afternoon the Lounge is open and you can have soft drink / bottled water. The Lounge has a terrace with excellent views of the water. I took some pictures from there. During the evening a lady with a liqour cart appears. No charge for liquor. Not self serve. The spread is the morning is supposed to be good. Given the space I do not see how you would get much variety. In addition there are only three large tables so seating is limited. I am trying to buffet instead.

Room: As noted upgraded to junior suite. Upon entering you have a closet and ok size standard bathroom. Shower is not separate. The bed is set atop a small riser. You also have a desk in this area. The desk has a hsia cable but I was reluctant to use it. $. You pass thru to a living room area with two decent size sofas. You have a large glass table in this area along with a tv. OK. I have a large picture window and you can see to the side a nice view of the water. In fact a very nice view if you do not look right. The window by the bed has wooden blinds and the curtain was very difficult to bring down. I actually had to stand on the bed to get it to work.

Communications: As noted in previous FT reports there are two computers on the M level. In the morning the M level is not accessible via the elevator bank. Walk up from the lobby. You can either use the computers or bring your laptop down and unplug the cable. It works and saves lots of money.

Location: Good. I did find this is not a walk around city like CPH. I intend to take a tour as my time is limited. The tours depart from a square about five minutes walk from here. The Hotel has a brouchure. You can buy tickets at the square. I did walk down the pedestrian shopping street yesterday. Not much variety. Food choices ok.

Closing: I would stay again without doubt. I was trying to be conservative and found the Scandic Continental for 50 euros. If you are thinking about that they are bad at HHonors benefits. This was a much better choice even given the crazy rate. That being said I see ARN as a one time stop for this express tourist. Regards from ARN. I will advise on buffet.

GUWonder Jul 18, 2005 2:37 am

There is a direct bus option from ARN to nearly the same spot (actually facing the train station) in downtown Stockholm where the ARN Express drops passengers off. It's much cheaper than the ARN Express and actually a few steps closer to the Sheraton Stockholm.

I find Stockholm to be a great walking city, and much better than Copenhagen at that. Stockholm is just not as "centered" (on one or two touristy "strips") and is not as tourist accessible as Copenhagen since it requires more walking to hit more of the spots and a little more research than CPH.

RTWSTARALLIANCE Jul 18, 2005 5:58 am

One of the most beautiful cities I have every visited.

GUWonder Jul 18, 2005 9:12 am

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
One of the most beautiful cities I have every visited.

Enjoyed the walk, I see. :D

RichardInSF Aug 7, 2005 2:24 pm

Sheraton Stockholm [Master Thread]

When my kids were young, I visited Stockholm frequently and eventually made the Sheraton Stockholm my regular hotel. There is still a photo in my office of my older kid at around age 4 or 5, looking out over Gamla Stan from a room in the front of the hotel.

My older kid is now 21 and today I returned to the Sheraton Stockholm for the first time in at least 5 years. Everything pretty much looks the same as it did when my kid was 5. They've updated the furniture -- once, some years back; there's high speed (expensive) internet access; and they are advertising more comfortable beds, but the look and feel of the hotel is still the same as it was so many years ago,

What does that mean?

--tiny bathrooms, tiny rooms (mostly), tiny windows
--no individually controlled thermostats in the rooms
--no in-room safes
--a vending machine-like fridge, with no space for my stuff
--half the rooms still overlook a gloomy central rectangular courtyard
--tiny, ancient TV sets
--gloomy flourescent light fixtures
--towels parcelled out like they were made of gold

Yeah, the hotel is OK, maybe even good, by Scandinavian standards. But I feel like I am back into the 80s, and it is time to move on. But then, there may not be any decent competition in town, so they don't have to.

craz Aug 7, 2005 6:14 pm

I didnt get that impression at all. I was in the lobby last Mon 8/1. Had a Day room down the block at The Scandic Continental. it was a windowless room with a single bed, seemed like an inside cabin on a ship. But it served its purpose and for 250 sek cant be beat.

But when we walked in to The Sher and saw the Sweet Sleepr there in lobby, we almost simply jumped over the ropes to get our bodies onto it.

Theres a Scandic Sergel Plaza that Ill probably stay at the next time in town.

dont feel so bad, I was at a Sher in Frankfurt on Tues 8/2 and they shut the AC down at night or leave it at a very high temp. Woke up 3 times in a sweat and had to take a couple of showers and thats after a 10 hr drive from Sweden. The GMs reply to me was, we checked the room and it was working perfectly, sure it was at maybe at 74 degrees and not the 67 or so I tried to get it down to so that I could sleep. The person who checked me out said its done to save $$$$, well I could have stayed down the block for less than 1/2.