Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St Regis Bermuda - now planning 2019 opening

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St Regis Bermuda - now planning 2019 opening

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2016, 3:00 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
St. Georges area of Bermuda is a strange location. It's far from everything and was mostly run down the last time I was there. Maybe they are trying to build it back up again and make a destination of it again, but I'm very skeptical. There is a reason there are no new hotels in Bermuda.
Well, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve property will open in 2018...so there's clearly more to the anticipated Bermuda market than you may have realized, perhaps.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Well, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve property will open in 2018...so there's clearly more to the anticipated Bermuda market than you may have realized, perhaps.
If the RC actually opens in 2018, then I will believe. But I doubt it based on a lot of experience there.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 6:59 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
SPG.com shows expected opening of the St.Regis Bermuda in January 2019.

The Ritz Carlton is also moving ahead by the way...
http://www.royalgazette.com/opinion/...rward-together
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
This was discussed in another thread, and there I said that the St. Georges area of Bermuda is a strange location. It's far from everything and was mostly run down the last time I was there. Maybe they are trying to build it back up again and make a destination of it again, but I'm very skeptical. There is a reason there are no new hotels in Bermuda. The latest hotel built there is the Newstead Belmont Hills Golf Resort and Spa which opened in 2008.
According to this article (hat tip to controller1) the St. Georges area is undergoing renovation/being built up again.

http://www.royalgazette.com/opinion/...rward-together

"Bermuda is moving through a period of economic stimulation...Hundreds of workers are building the America’s Cup Village...the airport and the St George’s hotel projects are now beginning to create hundreds of jobs...economic benefit to retailers in St George’s will continue with the added ferry lift from Dockyard to the Olde Towne. Further, the 16 cruise ships that will visit St George’s this year will provide an economic windfall for retailers in the town...The Ritz Carlton Reserve at Caroline Bay, The Loren, Surf Side, Coral Beach and Hamilton Princess..."

Cheers.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:43 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Not only is the StR Bermuda set to open in the St. George's vicinity, so will a Ritz Carlton Reserve property.

Clearly, there is a major development potential there. There is no chance that Starwood and Ritz Carlton independently concluded the area was ripe for development. It's ironic that the Marriott merger brings them into the same hotel group.

So enough about the "St. George's area isn't good enough" nonsense, please.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
St. Georges? I am OK with this

This was discussed in another thread, and there I said that the St. Georges area of Bermuda is a strange location. It's far from everything and was mostly run down the last time I was there.
I am inclined to disagree. Have been to BDA 6 times, incl. a visit to a high end condo in St. George's. The area is beautiful, fantastic vistas. # nice golf courses, as I recall.

You know, if STR is opening there, I am certain they have done their homework.

Like many others, I look forward to visiting this property in 2019.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 11:04 pm

SPG.com still shows opening in January 2019, but this says early 2021 which seems more realistic:
House: progress on St Regis Hotel | The Royal Gazette:Bermuda News

Looks like the St.Regis Bermuda will rely quite a bit on private condo sales and fractional ownership.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:51 am

St.Regis condos are now for sale. Hopefully sales will go well because they need the money to keep the project going. If not, then financing problems could halt the project like it did for the Ritz Carlton Bermuda (which has been on hold since March)
St Regis Bermuda luxury condos on the market | The Royal Gazette:Bermuda Business

I doubt there is capacity for both a RC and StR in Bermuda in the short to medium term.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:24 pm

The St.Regis Bermuda working site is active - see the progress below. Condos are for sale between $1.8m and $3.9m which is a very hefty price for St.Georges so I wonder if sales will go as well as they would like. The location is not the best and while I am sure they will do a fine job to improve the beach, it will remain fairly small and not as attractive as those on the south shore.

svo242 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.