Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Latest on the Starwood and Marriott merger : deal closed on 23 Sep.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2016, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Deal closed SEP 23 - http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/marriott-international-expanded-loyalty-benefits/

FAQ :
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#will-rewards-and-spg-be-turning-into-one-program

Will Rewards and SPG be turning into one program?
These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs.

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. We’re working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we don’t anticipate happening until 2018.

You can now link your Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards account with your SPG account.

It will be a 3:1 transfer ratio between MR-SPG
Print Wikipost

Latest on the Starwood and Marriott merger : deal closed on 23 Sep.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2016, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by hhoope01
Not trying to argue with you, but if a hotel decides they don't want to follow the rules, and that does happen, the Lurkers really can't do much and Corp won't/can't do much either. And I've dealt with that a few times especially on the 4pm late checkout time.
Which hotels have not been following the new policy? Just curious.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 9:46 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jimrpa
In retrospect, not surprised, but it seems that some folks are taken aback by some of the Marriott exceptions on Platinum benefits. It seems that SPG also has some exceptions on Platinum Benefits. Just saying', you know

Of course, I didn't cancel my reservation in a huff and decamp to the World Center or the Bohemian or the Gaylord
There is a difference between not providing late check-out at a highly in demand resort versus not providing breakfast at ALL COURTYARDS (where it would probably cost Marriott about 4.99 per person if that much) and not providing it at what seems to be a random assortment of FS hotels that just think themselves special.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 9:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by stc
There is a difference between not providing late check-out at a highly in demand resort versus not providing breakfast at ALL COURTYARDS (where it would probably cost Marriott about 4.99 per person if that much) and not providing it at what seems to be a random assortment of FS hotels that just think themselves special.
......like the Marriott in downtown Philadelphia. Special, yeah, very special.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 10:21 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by jimrpa
I went to the website and read the fine print and found that, surprise, resorts are excluded. Not terribly unlike some Marriott Platinum benefits
You're a SPG Plat and this comes as news?
Old Jun 30, 2016, 11:18 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jjmoore
I'm actually talking about SPG hotels not following their own policy (which has been in place for years.) I travel to the Destin area a few times a year and the 4Pts there "considers" itself a resort, Starwood does not. But the hotel will not honor late checkouts no matter who tries to tell them otherwise (and yes, I've even had the Lurkers try to help out as well.) This has been going on for years and they have never once given me a checkout later than noon.

I was commenting on the implication made that any Starwood hotel that would even think of playing "loose" with the rules would have a hammer brought down on them by Corp. Just like the other hotel programs, Starwood corp's hammer may not be quite a big as some here would like others to believe.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I'm actually talking about SPG hotels not following their own policy (which has been in place for years.) I travel to the Destin area a few times a year and the 4Pts there "considers" itself a resort, Starwood does not. But the hotel will not honor late checkouts no matter who tries to tell them otherwise (and yes, I've even had the Lurkers try to help out as well.) This has been going on for years and they have never once given me a checkout later than noon.

I was commenting on the implication made that any Starwood hotel that would even think of playing "loose" with the rules would have a hammer brought down on them by Corp. Just like the other hotel programs, Starwood corp's hammer may not be quite a big as some here would like others to believe.
So it's one hotel that you've had an issue with basically?

Me, I'd just stay in the room / leave my stuff in there and dare them to kick me out. When you check in, have a copy of the program T&Cs (or just pull it up on your phone). Ask to speak to the manager.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jjmoore
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...late-checkout/
Old Jun 30, 2016, 1:07 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
At least that reader got a response from MaRiot Platinum customer service

http://loyaltylobby.com/2016/06/30/m...response-time/
Old Jun 30, 2016, 9:46 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
So it's one hotel that you've had an issue with basically?

Me, I'd just stay in the room / leave my stuff in there and dare them to kick me out. When you check in, have a copy of the program T&Cs (or just pull it up on your phone). Ask to speak to the manager.
The problem with that is that when they charge you for another day and you have to dispute the charge with your credit card company, you are very likely to lose. Beside, do you really want to p!$$ off a hotel that you are going to be staying at again? If it were me, I'd find another hotel.

Last edited by stc; Jun 30, 2016 at 9:47 pm Reason: someday I will learn to spell, maybe
Old Jul 1, 2016, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stc
The problem with that is that when they charge you for another day and you have to dispute the charge with your credit card company, you are very likely to lose. Beside, do you really want to p!$$ off a hotel that you are going to be staying at again? If it were me, I'd find another hotel.
Well, no - that would be just about the easiest argument for any CC issuer to understand. "I took advantage of this defined benefit, and they charged me fraudulently". Charge immediately rescinded.

I'd find another hotel too, but I also wouldn't be backing down from benefits we're granted.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
So a friend of mine just booked an overwater villa for his honeymoon at the St Regis Maldives for 130K points. At today's rates that would've been over $12000. I've never done this well with my redemptions but we've come close multiple times. How many Marriott points would that have required? 20 million? My god I am really going to miss SPG.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 6:59 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Sabai
You're a SPG Plat and this comes as news?
Um, yea. I just clicked through the licensing agreement without reading the terms and conditions. Doesn't everybody? Frankly it's not a big deal for me. I only brought it up to make a point.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More Marriott fun & games with 4pm checkout

Looks like EVEN after the 4pm "clarification", the official line is "priority late checkout" (which of course is NOT a guaranteed):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26852955-post188.html

Gonna be a blast to fight for earned & published benefits going forward
Old Jul 2, 2016, 8:25 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Looks like EVEN after the 4pm "clarification", the official line is "priority late checkout" (which of course is NOT a guaranteed):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26852955-post188.html

Gonna be a blast to fight for earned & published benefits going forward
Hopefully we can still fight for suite upgrades.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 10:04 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Hopefully we can still fight for suite upgrades.
Our experiences differ. I've never had to fight for anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.