Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Latest on the Starwood and Marriott merger : deal closed on 23 Sep.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2016, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Deal closed SEP 23 - http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/marriott-international-expanded-loyalty-benefits/

FAQ :
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#will-rewards-and-spg-be-turning-into-one-program

Will Rewards and SPG be turning into one program?
These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs.

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. We’re working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we don’t anticipate happening until 2018.

You can now link your Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards account with your SPG account.

It will be a 3:1 transfer ratio between MR-SPG
Print Wikipost

Latest on the Starwood and Marriott merger : deal closed on 23 Sep.

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2016, 4:42 pm

Programs: MR rewards
small Q
Im a Marriott platinum never stay SPG
My next stay on SPG chain for 2 nights worth around 1000 USD , care about Marriott points the most, I know i can earn miles in SPG but can i keep the points then transfer them to Marriott later ?

Note: I fly emirates also i put my Skywards and SPG account together so when i stay SPG i got the miles ..

to me the important is
1-Marriott points 1000 USD give me 15000 Marriott points ..
2-Skywards 2000 miles
3-SPG ??!! and i don't care because i don't use them except when there is no Marriott ..

Thanks
Old May 23, 2016, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Someone mentioned in the Marriott forum that a former assistant general manager at the Chicago Magnificant Mile Marriott has been propmoted to corporate to manage the integration of SPG and Marriott Rewards.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26662627-post30.html

There's also a suggestion there that the merger will be completed in 2018.
I saw that too and I thought that was news but googling seems to confirm what they said earlier: http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rew...rger/letter.mi
Old May 23, 2016, 7:57 pm

Programs: Trying my best to love Le Club Accor (Gold)
I've got a surprise email from MR about double elite status nights for every paid stays....how sweet. Perhaps a targeted offer...do you guys received it?

Too bad i've just pledge my allegiance with Accor & about to sign up for Accor Plus while enjoying the remnants of my SPG status.
Old May 24, 2016, 1:32 am

Hi!

So you want to be able to transfer your potential SPG points to Marriott later?

If I were you I would just find a Marriott to stay in. Because nobody knows how SPG points are going to be converted to MR points. You might lose out and get less than 15,000 MR points.

If you are flying Emirates, you have "no choice" and have earn it as SPG points. But treat that as a bonus.

Originally Posted by weld3z
small Q
Im a Marriott platinum never stay SPG
My next stay on SPG chain for 2 nights worth around 1000 USD , care about Marriott points the most, I know i can earn miles in SPG but can i keep the points then transfer them to Marriott later ?

Note: I fly emirates also i put my Skywards and SPG account together so when i stay SPG i got the miles ..

to me the important is
1-Marriott points 1000 USD give me 15000 Marriott points ..
2-Skywards 2000 miles
3-SPG ??!! and i don't care because i don't use them except when there is no Marriott ..

Thanks
Old May 24, 2016, 5:42 pm

Programs: MR rewards
Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
Hi!

If I were you I would just find a Marriott to stay in. Because nobody knows how SPG points are going to be converted to MR points. You might lose out and get less than 15,000 MR points.

If you are flying Emirates, you have "no choice" and have earn it as SPG points. But treat that as a bonus.
The problem is my next stay there is no Marriott hotels actually its 2 stays not 1 so yes i well transfer them to miles ..
Did the calculation if i pay with Amex i well got something around 6k miles which is not bad at all for 2 stays , yes i hope to transfer them to Marriott but i well not gamble!! miles are also important to me ..
Old May 25, 2016, 1:14 am

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
Hi!

The best analogy is that when United and Continental merged, and flyers were members of both, there was an option to merge both accounts. It was easier for them as a mile is a mile is a mile. Maybe there'll be a "merge accounts" option and an agreed conversion rate (and a combined status re-assessment). That is what computers are for, right?

Has any non-status SPG member flashed their status Marriott card when checking in to a Starwood property in the hope of getting some sort of benefit and been successful?
Old May 25, 2016, 1:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RTWFF
The best analogy is that when United and Continental merged, and flyers were members of both, there was an option to merge both accounts. It was easier for them as a mile is a mile is a mile. Maybe there'll be a "merge accounts" option and an agreed conversion rate (and a combined status re-assessment). That is what computers are for, right?

Has any non-status SPG member flashed their status Marriott card when checking in to a Starwood property in the hope of getting some sort of benefit and been successful?
I sure hope not. Marriott elites don't even get elite benefits at Marriotts, so I don't want them to come over to Starwoods and claim suite upgrade any earlier than absolutely necessary, hopefully after 2018.
Old May 25, 2016, 2:00 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I sure hope not. Marriott elites don't even get elite benefits at Marriotts, so I don't want them to come over to Starwoods and claim suite upgrade any earlier than absolutely necessary, hopefully after 2018.
Fully agreed ^
Old May 25, 2016, 12:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
The merger hasn't even closed yet. Starwood is still an entirely separate company. Even after the merger closes, Starwood will initially just be a wholly owned subsidiary of Marriott International. Then the hard work of combining the two companies can begin.

I'm sure some elite members tried to get status-based benefits at Marriott properties with SPG elite and at Starwood properties with MR elite as soon as the merger plans hit the news. Was anyone successful? I doubt it.

Oh, come on!

I'm a Marriott Platinum. I always get elite benefits at Marriott properties. Sure, benefits vary depending on which Marriott brand it is and on the particular hotel. But, especially at full-service brands (Marriott, Renaissance, JW Marriott, Autograph Collection), I almost always get some sort of upgrade, ranging from executive level rooms to spacious suites. I get lounge access or breakfast. I get free faster tier Internet. I get a welcome gift ($10 f/b credit or 500 points). My reservation is backed up with guarantees that make it extremely unlikely the hotel will walk me or give me the wrong bed type. And I get 20 points per dollar spent (10 base + 5 Platinum bonus + 5 Marriott Visa).

I'm sure there will be some sort of reciprocal elite recognition before SPG and Marriott Rewards are fully combined. Those who are elite with either program will benefit because we'll have more places where we can get benefits.

Is that really so bad?

Last edited by Horace; May 26, 2016 at 8:58 am
Old May 25, 2016, 3:52 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Well, if you've *earned* top status in both programs, you don't want to suddenly be competing with everyone coming with elite status from the other (only one) program.
Old May 25, 2016, 8:47 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Well, if you've *earned* top status in both programs, you don't want to suddenly be competing with everyone coming with elite status from the other (only one) program.
That sentence doesn't even make sense. Or to put it a different way, it goes both ways. Marriott elites will have SPG people competing (your term) for bennies when they stay at Marriott properties. It's not just a 1-way flow.

This thought that one program is the 2nd coming of you know who & the other is the anti you know who gets a bit old. Both programs have pros/cons. And lest it be said that SPG is perfect as some have suggested, I've been reading threads on this forum that indicate not all is 100% paradise. (FWIW - that's true of any program as far as I'm concerned so not a diss on SPG, other than those who make SPG sound like the second coming of you know who).

Here's my take for both sides. The merger is happening like it or not. Get over it/deal w/ it. Once the details are announced a year from now, elites from either/both programs can make a decision on what works best for them (which quite frankly IMO they should do each year of all their programs & not at all related to merger). They can leave, they can go. But the them/us stuff will eventually go away as it does w/ all mergers (and yes I miss the original United so I do understand some of the angst).

Cheers.
Old May 25, 2016, 9:37 pm

Gee. He/she just asked if anyone had any luck doing this. Why can't we just answer the question?

OP: I don't have status at MR so I can't answer. You'd probably have better luck asking this in the MR forum.
Old May 26, 2016, 9:00 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
I sat next to a young SPG loyalist the other day on the airplane. He was unfamiliar with MR, but very concerned about the change.

We compared notes on award prices, bennies, suite upgrades, etc. He had been very unsuccessful trying to use his suite certs, and eventually had given up, while I had had several nice experiences. Also, it seemed like the cost of an award room was (relative to point value) lower for MR. It was enlightening for both of us.

I think the "doom and gloom" may be a little hyperbolic, unless they trade points at 1:1
Old May 26, 2016, 10:23 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
I sure hope not. Marriott elites don't even get elite benefits at Marriotts...
Um, where are you getting this from? I'm LT PLAT at Marriott at Plat75 at SPG. I've no idea what you're talking about. Marriott properties have always afforded me published benefits (and depending on the property, sometimes, above and beyond).

Marriott really is more than a collection of tired FIs and CYs. And not everyone wants every single hotel stay to be at a W with a DJ spinning deep house and trance in the lobby from 5:00 PM to 2:00 AM.
Old May 26, 2016, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Horace
But, especially at full-service brands (Marriott, Renaissance, JW Marriott, Autograph Collection), I almost always get some sort of upgrade, ranging from executive level rooms to spacious suites.
Bolded emphasis mine...I think that's one of the key differences between SPG and MR elites. Not making any judgment on it...but MR folks seem to consider "executive level" rooms as upgrades, whereas for SPG folks, that's not an upgrade, that's just a room on a higher floor. Just different POVs.

IMO "upgrades" are suites, jr. suites, maybe the equivalent of a W Cool Corner room, etc. YMMV of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.