Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Sunsational Savings "4th night free" -- Beware

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2016, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador

So i know SPG promos are usually too good to be true (Cyber Monday Sale! etc), But i have found good value with "stay 3 get 4th night free" rates around the world. In my experience, what happens is you dont pay for the 4th night and the other 3 nights are perhaps a little more expensive than usual, but still a good deal overall...But I've found this "Sunsational Savings" rate at St Regis Punta Mita and the way they do it is they supposedly pro-rate the nights, meaning you book assuming the 4th night is free, but in small type they say the free night is already factored into the rate, which you pay for all 4 nights, which is also strange, because you end up paying a 10% service charge and Resort Fee for all 4 nights -- even though the 4th night is supposed to be free...

Never seen this. Beware. I nearly booked this non refundable assuming the 4th night was actually free.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by JBauer
But I've found this "Sunsational Savings" rate at St Regis Punta Mita and the way they do it is they supposedly pro-rate the nights, meaning you book assuming the 4th night is free, but in small type they say the free night is already factored into the rate, .
...and are they right? ie. when compared to the flexible rate is there really a saving of one night's rate?

Also I thought the Sunsational rates are refundable or does that also vary per property?
Old Apr 6, 2016, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
good questions.

- you do NOT save 1 night rate over the regular rate. Over the course of 4 nights the rate comes to about $200 cheaper than the regular rate (but nightly rates range from $500-$600)

- agree it says refundable some places-- then non refundable others...on the booking. I see this a lot on SPG, but didn't pursue because of the poor "deal"
Old Apr 6, 2016, 6:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You would normally pay the 10% service charge (and any taxes that are assessed as a percentage of the cost) on the total amount you pay, so that it's the same total cost whether they show a reduced rate for four nights or an equivalent higher rate for three nights with a fourth night at zero. Similarly, even free nights can be subject to resort fees IIRC, so it shouldn't matter.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 5:23 am

Programs: SPG Plat, DL Gold
It is a poor misleading choice of words. Stay four nights and you will get a cheaper rate is actually the plan. 4th night free is disingenuous at the least and dishonest at the most. Starwood is supposed to be better than this.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 6:01 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've had AmEx PTS/CTS agents be confused about fourth night free rates. When they quote a price per night, it can be ambiguous about whether it's the rate for each of the first three nights, with the fourth night getting a rate of zero, or whether they're seeing the average rate for each of the four nights. Apparently there's no uniformity on how this is handled.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hyatt does the same with their 4th night free promo.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 5:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
4th night free "Sunsational Savings"

Wondering if anyone has booked this and how the credit was issued.

"4th Night Free with Sunsational Savings! Credited at check out, Breakfast for 2 daily @ Restaurant La Villita
No penalty for changes/cancellations until 10/11/2016
No deposit required"

I'd like to book this through Citi Prestige concierge for 4th night free. If Sheraton credits the full 4th night, it will be redundant. If they credit 25% or whatever, then it will be awesome.

Any data points?
Old Apr 15, 2016, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
There was this thread a few days ago.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...ee-beware.html
Old Apr 15, 2016, 10:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Have any of you actually completed a stay booked with this rate and seen the 4th night not "free" but the overall rate less?
Old Apr 15, 2016, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
There was this thread a few days ago.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...ee-beware.html
Thanks! I searched the Starwood forum but this didn't pop up. That thread is exactly what I was looking for.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Have any of you actually completed a stay booked with this rate and seen the 4th night not "free" but the overall rate less?
This is industry standard practice. You will be charged full rate for first three nights and none for the fourth. For programs like Hyatt where free nights don't qualify, you will only receive three elite qualifying nights. You will not be charged average nightly rate as displayed.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by TerryK
This is industry standard practice. You will be charged full rate for first three nights and none for the fourth. For programs like Hyatt where free nights don't qualify, you will only receive three elite qualifying nights. You will not be charged average nightly rate as displayed.
The reason I asked is that, if 4th night is invoiced as $0, then using the Citi Prestige 4th night free offer will not work. If reduction is taken as 25% off total charge for four nights and 4th night shows a "rate" other than zero, it will work.

Sounds like the invoice will show $0 for 4th night.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

.....Sounds like the invoice will show $0 for 4th night.
Correct. We can all dream. You cannot combine Citi 4th night free with hotel's 4th night free promo.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 12:06 am

The reason I asked is that, if 4th night is invoiced as $0, then using the Citi Prestige 4th night free offer will not work. If reduction is taken as 25% off total charge for four nights and 4th night shows a "rate" other than zero, it will work.

Sounds like the invoice will show $0 for 4th night.
The invoice could also be an issue, positive or negative, for anyone with a stay that's partly business and partly personal leisure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.