Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

MARRIOTT as of 27 SEPT 2010: Dallas Westin City Center [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MARRIOTT as of 27 SEPT 2010: Dallas Westin City Center [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2003, 1:28 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Arrow MARRIOTT as of 27 SEPT 2010: Dallas Westin City Center [Master Thread]

I just learned that Le Meridien in Downtown Dallas is the Westin City Center as of today; however, it's not listed on westin.com. Is this hotel accepting guests yet?
Old Jul 14, 2003, 4:10 pm

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond
Any chance this property would have the combination of:

1) high-speed internet, and
2) indoor pool

This has been a tough combination for me to find among DFW-based starwoods (in fact, impossible).
Old Jul 14, 2003, 5:04 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Yes, this hotel is now a Westin-branded property. Looks like they are selling rooms for $89 for tonight. They probably will not show up at westin.com until tomorrow. If you want to make a reservation, you should probably call the Customer Contact Center until it does.

Sorry, ILUVCITIBANK. This hotel has high-speed internet in some rooms, but not all of them. There is no swimming pool.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Jul 14, 2003, 5:44 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Indoor pool in Dallas? This ain't Chicago.
Old Jul 15, 2003, 12:55 am

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond
Outdoor pool in Arlington in Dec = bit nippy.

No thanks. Kids need indoor pools for our winter stays, *even in Dallas*.

My family's all-time spg fantasy is that the Westin galleria put up a magnificant skylight/atrium on their upper deck pool overlooking the galleria skaing rink. Their current no-cover open-air blah swimming pool begs for sprucing up, and a "Holiday Inn-esque Holidome" would be the ticket for year-'round swimming.

[This message has been edited by ILUVCITIBANK (edited 07-15-2003).]
Old Jul 15, 2003, 5:04 am

Programs: CM Presidential, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y.-- Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. [NYSE: HOT] announced today that the former Le Meridien Dallas is now reflagged as The Westin City Center Dallas. LaSalle Hotel Properties [NYSE: LHO] has selected Starwood to manage the property as a Westin, Starwood's upper-upscale brand.

Located in the heart of Dallas' downtown arts and financial district on North Pearl Street, the 407-room hotel will feature the Westin brand's signature service and amenities, including the popular Heavenly Bed®, Heavenly Bath®, Westin Service Express® and Westin One Call®. With the addition of The Westin City Center Dallas, Starwood now has a total of eight properties located in the Dallas-Fort Worth metropolitan area under its Westin and Sheraton brands.

"We are thrilled that LaSalle Hotel Properties has chosen Westin to manage The Westin City Center Dallas. This hotel will be an important addition to our brand's portfolio that will provide us with a strong downtown presence," stated Sue Brush, senior vice president, Westin Hotels & Resorts, North America. "Dallas is such a vibrant and energetic city appealing to both the leisure and business traveler seeking Westin's 'modern luxury.'"

The Westin City Center Dallas is conveniently located to all major highways and is approximately 22 miles from Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport. Nearby cultural attractions abound, including the Dallas Museum of Art, the historic Majestic Theatre and the Morton H. Myerson Symphony Centre. The hotel is also in close proximity to the McKinney Avenue, Deep Ellum and West End entertainment areas and prestigious retail establishments such as Neiman Marcus that are only a short hop on the light rail line. Texas Stadium, home of the world-famous Dallas Cowboys football team, is only a few miles away as well as The Ballpark at Arlington, home to baseball's Texas Rangers.

"Starwood is a premier worldwide management company with a tremendous reputation for quality and excellent customer service," noted Mr. Michael Barnello, chief operating officer of LaSalle Hotel Properties. "We are excited to have this organization associated with our Dallas hotel. Furthermore, the Westin brand is anticipated to add significant benefits to the hotel including improved guest service, enhanced reservation system support, better brand awareness, augmented marketing and advertising coverage, and a deeper management team and overall support network. We believe the Westin brand and Starwood will unleash the hotel's true potential."

The hotel is an ideal venue for the business traveler featuring 13 banqueting and meeting rooms, covering over 23,000 square feet that can accommodate up to 1,200 people. Located on the penthouse level, the Plaza Ballroom offers spectacular views of the Dallas skyline. In addition, The Westin City Center Dallas has a fully equipped business center featuring state-of-the-art computer equipment.

Guests can enjoy the ambience and culinary delights of the 650 North Restaurant serving New American cuisine in the elegant setting of the Wine Room, Library and Atrium Terrace. The hotel bar is situated in a cozy setting and includes an intimate seating area. A popular recreational aspect of the hotel is the skating rink at America's Ice Garden that is located in the atrium of the Plaza of the Americas, adjacent to the hotel. Guests can either participate in the actual skating or watch others skate as they dine casually at any of the numerous dining options throughout the Plaza.

Old Jul 15, 2003, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Woo hoo!

I'm excited about this. I now have a place to crash after an evening in Deep Ellum....
Old Jul 16, 2003, 5:36 am

Programs: CM Presidential, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
From a statement by the Meridien Group:

"Le Méridien has operated the 400-room Le Méridien Dallas for over 8 years. We are extremely proud of the relationship we have developed with our employees, our customers and with the city of Dallas during this time.

Le Méridien has operated the hotel under a long-term lease agreement with LaSalle Hotel Properties that was not due to expire until April 2008. However, the lease contained provision for our interests at the hotel to be bought out for fair market value by the property owner under certain conditions. At the beginning of 2002, LaSalle chose to exercise this provision, but refused to pay Le Méridien fair market value for what has been a highly profitable business.

The issue of fair market value is still subject to litigation at this time. In the meantime, the Dallas county court determined that possession of the hotel should pass to LaSalle by July 14, at which time management of the hotel will be assumed by LaSalle or its designated operator.

As with any transfer of management control, Le Méridien intends to conduct an orderly and seamless transition to the new operator of the property, continuing to hold the interests of our employees, our customers and the city of Dallas in very high regard. Additionally, we very much hope to maintain Le Méridien’s presence here, and are actively exploring alternatives to keep the Le Méridien brand in Dallas.

We obviously wish our employees the very, very best of success with the new operator, and are working closely with them to ensure a professional handover to the new management. "

[This message has been edited by AAEXP (edited 07-16-2003).]
Old Sep 7, 2003, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
BEWARE this property...

No Heavenly Beds, ugly rooms, no club lounge (despite having rooms available on the club floor), no high speed internet.

The old bed (with two worn out soft pillows) was SO uncomfortable that we checked out at 6:30 am and drove home.

I will NOT stay here again until I can be reasonably assured that the property has been brought up to Westin standards.

It is so nice to finally have a Starwood property in downtown Dallas... and yet SO disappointing that it is one that will give Starwood a black eye around here.
Old Sep 8, 2003, 3:51 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Sorry for your disappointment, techgirl. The Heavenly Beds are on the way and renovations will bring the hotel closer to Westin standards, but sometimes it takes longer than expected.

Was told by some recent guests that the hotel is advising their guests of this and that the staff is really going out of their way service-wise, but I agree that an uncomfortable bed at a Westin seems very out of character.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Sep 8, 2003, 9:11 pm

I have to admit that my bed this weekend at this property wasn't heavenly but was pretty good despite that fact. The amazing thing for me was the water. It smelled very bad and tasted even worse. One of the few occasions where I would have had no qualms ante-ing up for a $7 bottle of water. Alas, not only was there no overpriced water in the room, there are no minibars of any sort! The roomcard says minibars are coming in December (with the beds, TVs and phones). But I am surprised that they couldn't muster a bottle or two of water - no expensive infrastructure required! Another area for improvement: lighting. Though I was as hungover as they come and relished the "mood" lighting, I would imagine that anyone else would find the room I had (701, a corner king) a bit like a morgue.
Old Oct 17, 2003, 9:12 am

Hello - I am wondering if anyone has any recent experiences at this property. I have reservation for the end of Oct and curious if the hotel renovations are in the works etc....especially heavenly beds Thanks
Old Oct 18, 2003, 9:01 am

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Assuming bringing the bedding up to Starwood standards goes according to plan, this is a really good downtown Dallas location. Although the press release kind of downplays the fact, the atrium offers plenty of casual dining alternatives and skywalks/tunnels offer easy access to many of the major downtown office buildings.

Also, the propery is on an edge of downtown which offers easy access to Deep Ellum, West End and Uptown-- all popular entertainment districts.
Old Aug 8, 2004, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA PLT (1MM), MR Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Just wanted to bring this thread forward, since it's been close to a year since anyone's posted.

I'm trying to decide between the Westin City Center and the Westin Galleria in Dallas -- have stayed at the Galleria property; was just wondering if some of the issues brought up earlier in this thread regarding the City Center property have been adequately addressed, as well as people's general impressions now that this has property has been under the Westin banner for a while.

Thanks!
Old Aug 10, 2004, 5:43 am

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
I stay here now on Saturday nights pretty regularly.I always get an ubgrade to a junior suite at the end of the hall.
Heavenly beds,walk-in showers,couch huge sitting area
and enough room for a party of about 10 people.My biggest gripe is no refridgerators,and no mini bar.Hi speed internet is there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.