Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Senggigi, Lombok, Indonesia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 6, 2015, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Compulsory New Year's Eve Dinner: December 31, 2015

On December 31, 2015, please note that there is a compulsory New Year's Ever dinner for all guests. The cost is 150 USD plus tax per person. Please contact the resort for further information.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2002, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Brigitte and I spent a week here during our recent SE Asia trip, and I must say I was impressed with this property. The travel industry of late has not been kind to Indonesia, and tourist/beach destinations outside of Kuta (Bali) are suffering terribly. Properties in receivership, empty storefronts and struggling hotels and restaurants are becoming the norm in places that were once booming. After an incident in Senggigi (Jan 2000) in which a couple of shops were destroyed by fire and looted by a gang of over agitated rioters, the tourist industry practically ground to a halt. It took months for occupancy levels to approach even the low teens. 9/11 and the subsequent US State Department's warning of travel within Indonesia took back any meagre gains that had been made in the interim. With this knowledge in hand we, quite frankly, didn't know what to expect. Happily, we're an adventuresome couple who are always up for a challange. Our apprehension proved ill-founded and we arrived on Lombok without incident after a 90 minute jet boat trip from Candidasa on Bali. As we drove through the towns and countryside between our arrival port of Lebar and Senggigi, we passed through the capital city, Mataram and witnessed a change in culture and dress from Bali's Hindu to Lombok's Muslim. Smiles from giggling schoolgirls and curious stares from the younger boys made us feel at ease. Pulling up to the Sheraton, we were relieved to find it as posh and well kept as any resort property we'd seen in the last few months during our trip. Scads of marble and well appointed furnishings bespoke good taste and elegance, not tropical kitsch. A gong was sounded to announce our arrival, and we were immediately ushered to the front desk and then to a private sitting area where we were checked in with as much grace and dignity any arriving VIP could expect. Our Platinum status had been duly noted, and after a welcome drink and a verbal tour of the property and it's facilities, we were shown to an immense ocean front suite. Living, dining, and kitchen areas complemented the bedroom and all accessed a very large terrace/balcony that ran their combined length and overlooked the property's beautiful foiliage to one side and the sea to the other. Bananas were within picking distance, and the sweet fragrance of flowers in the warm wind wafted by as we took it all in. We knew we were destined to spend many starry nights here, drinks in hand, listening to the ocean waves lapping gently on the sandy beach below.

The rooms were as tastefully decorated as the lobby and the two bathrooms were amply clad in marble and fine fixtures. A separate bath, shower and wc served the bedroom, while a powder room served the dining/living area. The kitchen contained a mini fridge, a bar service area with sink and it's own outside entrance from whence you could serve your guests without intrusion. Televisions, stereo, enough seating for 10 or so at the dining room table and/or in the living area, this suite was the exact equivalent of 3 rooms. Pity it was only the two of us.

This property was one of those few gems where every staff member smiles upon each and every encounter and addresses you by name after the first day. Occupancy rates must have been in the 30's or so, but even at that we were impressed by their positive attitudes. Staff would engage you in friendly conversation which often led to our discovering or learning something new and/or surprising. We learned about the Sasak traditions and various differences between the ethnic cultures and religious beliefs of the island's population...as well as some local hotel and travel industry gossip...all very interesting. GM Frank Beck has done a marvellous job here, leading by example and not edict. He has a hands on approach that I found very refreshing. No stuffiness...none of the aloofness that I've so often witnessed as being a common trait among so many GM's around the world, especially in some of the higher end establishments. He has this property running like a finely tuned Swiss watch movement. Even in his absence, things run smoothly as he has been able to successfully impart his style and philosophy on his staff. There are no problems that cannot be resolved, fixed or overcome. Period. How many properties would send a guest a birthday cake upon learning of the event from a message left with the front desk, and then offer to send another upon learning that the guest's birthday was actually the following day? All on their own initiative and without cost. I would venture to guess not many.

The physical attributes of the hotel do not render one speechless. This is no Phoenician by the sea. It is, however, the sum total of all it's qualities that make it so special. The grounds are immaculately maintained and are constantly being manicured. The pool complex was one of the best I've seen outside of the Phoenician's, and much less crowded. Water temperature and chlorine/ph levels are monitored X times per day and adjusted if necessary. The swim up bar is really a full size bar serving the adjacent terrace restaurant, not just a cute little nook in the corner. Evenings would see regular performances of traditional Sasak folk music and dance for the benefit of diners and onlookers alike performed poolside with two giant torchlit columns jutting out of the pool as a fiery backdrop.

Food was first rate, with the most popular meal being the breakfast buffet/brunch, as this was included in many rates. The variety and quality of the food was extraordinary, and approached the Shangri-la in BKK for presentation and choice. American, European, Japanese and South East Asian cuisines were admirably represented. There were a number of other dining venues on the property as well that Brigitte and I didn't patronize, and a couple of them would offer special theme dinner promotions. Prices were quite a bit higher than local establishments nearby, but the Sheraton's restaurants were considered to be among the best, if not the best in town. That being said, $25 at any one of the hotel's restaurants would go a long way. $10 in town, just as far. A happy hour at the beach bar during the early evening was eagerly awaited by some and provided live cover band entertainment.

The hotel also had a spa and fitness center, which we never used as we walked at least 10 KM per day through the beautiful countryside. Tennis courts, a children's amusement/play area as well as a small group of upscale shops and a car rental agency were also on site.

It is a shame that this property has been so overlooked by North Americans over the last few years. Europeans and Australians have never stopped coming, but their numbers aren't as strong as in the past, in spite of rates being at least half of what they were just three years ago. If you happen to be in Bali, especially Kuta, and tire of the endless parade of fast talk and beach bums, traffic jams and MacDonald's, take a few hours to come to an authentic paradise and experience the Bali of thirty years ago. Just tell Frank I sent you. You won't be disappointed.
Old Sep 17, 2002, 11:30 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Agreed, the Sheraton in Lombok is indeed a great place. I second the recommendation to stay there if you have a chance.
Old May 19, 2003, 5:31 am

I will stay Sheraton Senggigi Beach Resort, Lombok next week.
Does someone know email address of this property?
Old May 19, 2003, 11:46 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by maru_hi:
I will stay Sheraton Senggigi Beach Resort, Lombok next week.
Does someone know email address of this property?
</font>
The only published email address I have for this property is [email protected].

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Starwood Lurker (edited 05-19-2003).]
Old May 20, 2003, 8:36 am

Programs: QF Plat LTG, UA2mm, Marriott LTP
Stayed at Sheraton Senggigi last weekend. Paid US$67 per night including breakfast for 2.

Occupancy was 60%, which is high because a few countries had religious holidays late last week. On Monday they expected occupancy to be back around 10%.

If you are a Platinum, you obviously are in for a good shot at a suite. If you want to pay, they will offer you an upgrade at check-in for another US$50/night

------------------
UA BerylliumPlus, SPG Unobtainium, Hyatt Rubber, Qantas Stratosphere, Marriott Galactic, Amex Enormous
Old May 20, 2003, 12:21 pm

zero savings, thank you for the latest information.

Yes, I'm Platinum.
I asked about upgrade and they told my room will be upgraded to an Executive suite - probably as same as flyme2's.
It is great, considering that I reserved at only $70/night
($67 is full prepaid rate, I want to avoid the risk).
And I will be happier if my room will be upgraded to Villa for paying a little more.

(edited typo)

[This message has been edited by maru_hi (edited 05-20-2003).]
Old May 21, 2003, 3:47 pm

They offerd me $300/night to upgrade to Villa, so I gave up.
Anyway, Executive suite is good enough.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA, HHilton, Starwood
Sheraton Lombok - Avoid

After visiting the Westin in Nusa Dua, Bali I checked into the Sheraton in Lombok, Indonesia ( neighbouring Island ). I last visited this hotel in 2001 and have to say this hotel has gone down the tubes.

It was a very unpleasant stay...so much that I wanted to check out but would have incurred a one night penalty.

The whole fiasco began when the newly laid bed sheets were sooooo smelly that I had housekeeping replace them with new sheets. They weren't much better and I ended up spraying some deodorant spray on the sheets just to get some sleep. Each day was the same story...call housekeeping and have them bring up new sheets. My theory is that the hotel does not use any laundry detergent for the linens or towels...they smell horrible.

The TV was barely readable and I called to have it replaced. No one bothered to come and check it and so I forgot about it. I am on vacation after all.

I wanted to purchase the bath robe and was told they dont have any new ones in packages and that I could take the one in the room. Of course I declined as it probably has been used by many others before me. They apoligized about not having any in stock....story closed.

The internet was only working at times...yet they charged 1000 RUP /minute. Later in my stay I was told SPG Members receive 30 mins internet use a day..that was something to smile about.

Luckily my stay was only for 5 nights and I had friends staying at the neigbouring Holiday Resort...which is 10 x better and cheaper.

I would strongly avoid this hotel until they get their act straightened up. The GM at the hotel is not well liked by the hotel staff and I could see why. I seen him almost every night having dinner at the nearby Qunci Villa. That says a lot about the hotels restaurant. The hotel is needing a major overhaul...but unfortunately I dont think the funds are there since the occupancy is quite low most of the year.

If your in Lombok I would strongly avoid this hotel. There are many other alternative accomodations at the same or lower price. If you want an insight on where to stay just drop me a note.

Frank
Old Jan 14, 2006, 8:22 am

Programs: BA Gold
Sheraton Lombok indonsia

Anyone stayed here , is it close to shops , restaurants , etc.
Is there a dive center near the hotel
Thank you
Old Jul 17, 2006, 9:35 am

Programs: CO (Gold), UA (Silver)
Am scheduled to travel to Lombok in early Aug., staying at Sheraton. I've heard they're undergoing extensive renovations. Would appreciate any color on this (Sheraton website makes no mention). Thanks!
Old Nov 3, 2006, 7:44 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Renovation at Sheraton Senggigi

Originally Posted by MKE-MR
Bump to see if anybody else has any info. Considering Lombok for two weeks from now, did you go there sen11?
I am also going in 1st week of Dec.
I emailed the sales office and this is what they responded:
"Pleased also to inform you that we are running our renovation work phase 2 ( 2 last building ) starting on 01 Nov – 20 Dec 06, however we always do our best to allocate the guests far away from the renovation works. All of hotel facilities are running as normally."
Appreciate if anyone who has actually gone there recently can give us a 'live' update on the renovations.

Here's more info from the hotel:

Hotel refurbishment (09/16/06 to 12/20/06)
We wish to share with you some information on the refurbishment of SHERATON SENGGIGI BEACH RESORT

Phase 1: COMPLETED

The resort has just completed their guest room refurbishment; to date a total of 51 rooms and suites have been refurbished. Upgraded lighting fixtures, new furnishings with traditional Lombok accoutrements have been added. They installed 29” flat screen television, restored the original hardwood floors and undertook the waterproofing of the resort roof as well as upgrading the room exhaust system in order to better control the humidity.

All the new rooms are now upgraded to a whole new level of comfort-with the Sheraton Sweet SleeperSMBed. Setting a new standard for beds, the Sheraton Sweet SleeperSM Bed is a custom designed mattress set, a plump duvet and five cushy pillows.

Phase 2

The work during phase 2 will be similar to Phase 1; upgrading the bathrooms, hammering and drilling for approximately the first 10 days, followed by repainting and refurnishing and the installation of the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper Bed.

Block 6 will be done from 16th of September until 30th of October, while Block 1 and 2 will be done on 1st November until 20th of December.

Whilst working on block 1& 2, in order to better serve our guests; breakfast buffet will be relocated from Kebun Anggrek Restaurant to the Sunset Bar at the beachside .

All endeavors are being made by the hotel to limit the inconvenience to the guests.

Last edited by CCHAN1970; Nov 5, 2006 at 11:28 pm Reason: more updated info
Old Dec 18, 2006, 9:32 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Reward Redemption?

Hi all -

Just wondering if anyone has successfully booked an award stay at this hotel? We are looking for next September (9 months from now) and the website is saying that there is no availability.

I spoke with the Plat desk, and they said that there are no base level rooms at this hotel, only Superior rooms, and thus a 1500 point premium.

Now, these point levels are not shocking and won't change our going to the hotel - BUT - is this standard practise for a Category 1 hotel? I have heard of this type of thing for Cat 6-7-type hotels... but I was a bit shocked by this for a fairly economic hotel.

Thoughts?

T.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 11:47 am

Programs: AC MM SE, Marriott Titanium - Lifetime Plat 2nd Class, National Executive, Avis PP
Wait until Cash & points properties are posted

I am also making the trek from Toronto to Bali & Lombok this summer (July).

I was unable to book a room here with points online in July (although there was 1 availble tonight if I wanted it, for 2000 points).

I am going to wait to see if they participate in cash & points before deciding on the 4500 points per night for a Cat 1 hotel.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 10:00 am
Suspended

Any update since the renovations ?

Hows the view from the rooms ? any particular block with nicer ocean views ?

Thanks.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA, HHilton, Starwood
I have not stayed at this hotel since the renovations but I can tell you that there are no ocean view rooms, unless they added villa's with pools like the Sheraton in Nusa Dua. Send them an e-mail to be sure.

The renovations look spectactular....when I was there I checked out and went to a neighboring hotel after 2 nights. It was a really run down badly managed property at the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.