Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points by Sheraton Calgary Airport, AB, Canada [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2015, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC *50K MM; WS Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite

[Mods: I searched and couldn't find a thread on this hotel in the Property Master Threads, but I have been known to be wrong before. If there is one, can you merge this post into the existing thread please?]

I live in Calgary but a great Hot Escape rate persuaded me to book a couple of nights at this property for a getaway weekend with my spouse. I checked in earlier this evening, and as a Plat, I was upgraded into a larger deluxe King on the 7th (top) floor. Checkout staff were friendly, but slow. I selected daily breakfast as my Plat amenity - it's a continental buffet with an option to upgrade to the full buffet. When I enquired about the cost to upgrade, they weren't sure but they "thought" it was about $4. I'll post later when I find out for sure. I also opted for MAGC.

The property is located in a light industrial/commercial area called Sunridge, close to the Peter Lougheed Hospital, the Sunridge Mall, and lots of restaurants (mainly major chains) and other businesses. The reference to "Airport" in the name is misleading -- due to road closures/re-routings in the past few years, it's actually not that easy to get to the airport anymore. But ... they do offer a shuttle -- apparently the drop off to the airport is free, but they charge a small fee for pickup. Confirm directly with them if this is important to you.

I will provide an additional update once our stay is over.
Old May 9, 2015, 5:50 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question

I see a couple of existing threads on this property. The most informative is:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...ip-report.html

What rate did you score via spghotescapes?
Old May 9, 2015, 6:21 am

4 Points Calgary West is on the opposite end of the City........this one catgirl is talking about is on the East end of the city near the airport. I have stayed here before - its a decent 4 points - probably better than average. Good ole' Cowtown......it was my home for 15 years.
Old May 9, 2015, 9:38 am
Original Poster

This is a different Four Points ...

I am definitely talking about a different Four Points. The one on the West end of the city is across from Canada Olympic Park on the Transcanada highway and is on the right hand side if you are heading towards Banff. This one is in the east half of the city, much closer to the airport (but not that far off the Transcanada either).

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
What rate did you score via spghotescapes?
Pretty good - CAD 76 per night with the SPG additional discount. All in with taxes, just over $85 per night. I think the construction in the area is hurting them because the restaurant (Ric's Grill) is not visible from the street anymore.
Old May 11, 2015, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Just wanted to provide an additional update now that our stay is over. Room was okay, comfortable. Thought this is a very pleasant option, particularly for the Hot Escapes rate we paid.

The only problem at this property is that the staff (front desk and restaurant) are either fairly new or lack training or not accustomed to Platinum members, perhaps a combination of all three. They're very pleasant, but getting a consistent answer to my question about my breakfast amenity was a challenge. Officially, the amenity card says "continental breakfast buffet for up to two guests in the same room". Well two out of three mornings, there was no buffet, continental or otherwise. So the staff happily offered a la carte off the menu. We wanted more than just cereal or fruit so I asked about paying the differential. No problem - they couldn't decide what the differential amount was but they finally came to consensus. When it was time to pay the bill, they wanted to take the Plat amenity card (which was a single card dated to expire the morning of our departure) so I said that I needed it for the rest of my stay. No ... the card is only good for ONE morning of your stay, not all three! Well of course I corrected them. Then the answer was that we could only get credit for one person (the Platinum member) and not the second guest. Of course I corrected them. It all worked out in the end, but the staff were just really confused about the Plat amenity -- blank bewildered looks every morning about one aspect or another.

I would recommend this property, but caution you to check everything twice.

Last edited by catgirl; May 11, 2015 at 7:54 pm
Old May 11, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: AC-100k, MR LTT
Originally Posted by catgirl
Just wanted to provide an additional update now that our stay is over. Room was okay, comfortable. Thought is a very pleasant option, particularly for the Hot Escapes rate we paid.

The only problem at this property is that the staff (front desk and restaurant) are either fairly new or lack training or not accustomed to Platinum members, perhaps a combination of all three. They're very pleasant, but getting a consistent answer to my question about my breakfast amenity was a challenge. Officially, the amenity card says "continental breakfast buffet for up to two guests in the same room". Well two out of three mornings, there was no buffet, continental or otherwise. So the staff happily offered a la carte off the menu. We wanted more than just cereal or fruit so I asked about paying the differential. No problem - they couldn't decide what the differential amount was but they finally came to consensus. When it was time to pay the bill, they wanted to take the Plat amenity card (which was a single card dated to expire the morning of our departure) so I said that I needed it for the rest of my stay. No ... the card is only good for ONE morning of your stay, not all three! Well of course I corrected them. Then the answer was that we could only get credit for one person (the Platinum member) and not the second guest. Of course I corrected them. It all worked out in the end, but the staff were just really confused about the Plat amenity -- blank bewildered looks every morning about one aspect or another.

I would recommend this property, but caution you to check everything twice.
This has been a problem with every stay I've had at this property and part of why I've chosen not to stay here anymore. They have had a few years to get it right, and I've provided feedback each time, but it doesn't seem to improve.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: AC SE
Parking situation?

I see that the hotel offers free parking for nights when you're staying there, but any experience on how parking is handled if you stay there for a night, but want to leave your car there for a few nights and take the shuttle back? (e.g. stay there Friday night, fly out Saturday morning, back on Tuesday). The SPG app shows $10 per night. Would it be free for the Friday night, and then $10/night for the other 3 nights? Any experience on how they handle this?
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:09 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
first off: FREE. UNDERGROUND.HEATED.PARKING.

staff very professional and polite.

i checked in for 1 weekend night and as a gold (off marriott gold reasons) they upgraded me to an executive suite. wow. nice.

room was awesome, typical suite, living room, dining tables, bathroom, next room jacuzzi tub, shower, bedroom.

went to the heated pool, very nice. hot tub sucked, too cold/warm. sauna and steamroom existed so a cold towel solved those problems.those got hot.

the showers in the pool mensroom were ice cold. at best they were cold. lame when i wanted to rinse myself before pool.

facilities all nice, very well kempt area although they didn't clear used eroom service tray in front of me in 16hours.

the jacuzzi in my room worked well, nice hot water and pumps, but the shower in my room did not dispense hot water. it was all cold, even after i did the little 'turn the tap the the left then jack it a bit to the right and then hot water comes out' plumber advice. really disappointing. there was zero hot water coming out of that. trust me. i reported it at checkout and they seemed genuinely sympathetic and wanting to fix it. i hope.

either way decent stay. if the shower were and issue earlier i would have demanded to been sent to another room, even/especially an inferior one.

this place amazing for mattress stays between element. they share the same underground garage, just a door separates them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.