Wiki Posts
Search

Which Montreal SPG hotel for tourist?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2015, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Be sure to give yourself some time to explore Quebec City.

BTW, late September is a great time to be in Montreal. The fall leaves can be stunning, but I hope your trip isn't too early for this.
My plan is to spend 4 nights in Montreal, take the train to Quebec and spend 3 nights there. 2 nights will be at a hotel TBD and 1 night is on the HAL Veendam as it sails the next day Sept. 13

I will also be asking about SPG properties in Quebec on another thread, or if you have any suggestions I'll take them here.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by susiesan
My plan is to spend 4 nights in Montreal, take the train to Quebec and spend 3 nights there. 2 nights will be at a hotel TBD and 1 night is on the HAL Veendam as it sails the next day Sept. 13

I will also be asking about SPG properties in Quebec on another thread, or if you have any suggestions I'll take them here.
There are two 4PTs in the area, I prefer the one just north of Quebec City, as opposed to the one on the other side of the river (in Levis?). But you really need a car if you stay at the one I prefer, and it's a bit of a hike for the other, including a ferry ride, and lots of extra walking.

The first choice for pretty well everyone, assuming it's available and you can afford it, is the Chateau Frontenac. It's a historic, heritage property, right in the middle of old Quebec City. It's definitely worth the money.

Cheers,
Old Feb 13, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
There are two primary BYO areas...

...I am more familiar with the one at Deluth and St. Denis.
Tons of good cheap ethnic eats all BYO with no corkage. The world famous Pied au Cauchon (Tony Bourdian visits everytime he is in town and the chef and a NYT bestselling cookbook) is also in this very nice hood.
There is an SAQ on St. Denis if you just want to pick up a bottle before entering the resto.
Keep in mind after about 7 on Thurs-Sun you will have to wait in line if its a decent place.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 5:04 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat 100 (LT Gold), IHG Spire, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, National EE, Hertz Prez Circle
Just a word of caution - you may want to call Le Westin and see if the construction on the adjacent apartment building is done yet. While the building under renovation is actually on rue Saint-Jacques (between Saint François Xavier and Saint Pierre), the work being done was exceedingly loud and went on the entire day.

I used to be in Montreal every few weeks, and made the W my home away from home. Exceedingly friendly staff, great SPG recognition, and fun nightlife in the hotel whether you're looking for an early aperitif or last call on your way back from a night out. They're *years* overdue for their renovation, but I don't see the rooms being bad - just dark. Looking forward to being back up there for the GP Canada at the absolute latest.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 5:20 pm

Westin Montreal SPG Category 4 or 5?

We are also cruising from Quebec City this fall and planning on spending a few nights in Montreal pre-cruise. We were pretty set on Westin, especially when it was moved from category 5 to category 4, requiring fewer star points to book. However, I was surprised that it's now moved back to Category 5 even though Starwood website indicated that this is one of the hotel with category moving down in 2015. Anyone knows what happened?
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bronco29
We are also cruising from Quebec City this fall and planning on spending a few nights in Montreal pre-cruise. We were pretty set on Westin, especially when it was moved from category 5 to category 4, requiring fewer star points to book. However, I was surprised that it's now moved back to Category 5 even though Starwood website indicated that this is one of the hotel with category moving down in 2015. Anyone knows what happened?
Unfortunately, sometimes the categories that they are assigned in the preliminary list aren't always realized when the final list is published. This may have happened to this hotel.

However, if you have any Hyatt points, or can get some from the credit card sign-up, the Hyatt actually has decreased to a low Category 2 (only 8,000 points) on the Hyatt scale. Lower still if they have a cash and points rate where at Hyatt you do get points earned on such rates.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 10:21 am
Original Poster

I decided not to use up so many SPG points on a hotel we won't be spending much time in and booked a local hotel, Le Square Phillips for $522.50CAD for 4 nights. Today that is $102.55 a night USD. Total with taxes is
$834.78 CAD.

Now I am thinking about booking the Westin Montreal with points. If you book it on any hotel website it is $152USD plus tax and includes breakfast. If you book with SPG pints, there is no breakfast included. Also if you book on the Westin or SPG web sites there is no breakfast. Very odd.

Last edited by susiesan; Jun 22, 2015 at 11:03 am
Old Mar 19, 2015, 6:06 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
However, if you have any Hyatt points, or can get some from the credit card sign-up, the Hyatt actually has decreased to a low Category 2 (only 8,000 points) on the Hyatt scale. Lower still if they have a cash and points rate where at Hyatt you do get points earned on such rates.
The Hyatt is my backup when I can't get a reasonable rate at either the Sheraton or Westin. The Hyatt is located right on St. Catherines near the Place des Arts. Not right on a subway stop but easily walkable (outside or in tunnels) to both the Green and Orange lines. Right on top of a mall (Desjardins).
Old Mar 19, 2015, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by illico
There is no train from the airport to downtown. It is bus or cab. The 747 bus is a decent deal though (10$) and essentially takes the same route to downtown Montreal as the taxis do.
There's a detailed wiki with FAQs & helpful links to info on the 747 bus in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canad...press-bus.html
Old Jun 19, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Which SPG hotels have a Club lounge in Montreal?
Old Jun 19, 2015, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by nologic
there may be something in the existing Master Thread
Montreal: best starwood? [Master Thread]
Old Jun 21, 2015, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by nologic
In the greater Montreal area, the three Sheratons have lounges (downtown, airport and Laval). The Westin used to have a lounge but I believe it is closed.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: AC E, *A G, Starwood Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, Porter Points
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.2141 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Westin lounge is closed however they provide a great buffet breakfast as well as drink/food vouchers for the evening and the food options have always been great (sliders, calimari...)

I prefer the Westin. It is right at the edge of Old Montreal and great for walking around.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yulhammeryyz
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.2141 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Westin lounge is closed however they provide a great buffet breakfast as well as drink/food vouchers for the evening and the food options have always been great (sliders, calimari...)

I prefer the Westin. It is right at the edge of Old Montreal and great for walking around.
If I want to book this hotel with *points the breakfast does not show up. It is only included if you book the Westin Renewal Package rate which is very high, $CAD311 inc tax. You can get the room for as low as CAD$222 inc tax w/o breakfast. That's a mighty expensive meal!!

Last edited by susiesan; Jun 22, 2015 at 11:14 am
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Ymmv, but I certainly paid for breakfast when I stayed here about two months ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.