Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) 2015 : *now 20% off*; Success, failure & discussion thread

Subscribe
Well, I'm guessing that the new T&Cs are measures to improve response time.

Currently if you go by the no-reservation route, it takes a minimum of 4 steps -
1. submit BRG
2. have it processed and receive tentative approval by email
3. make reservation and reply to email agreeing to BRG terms
4. have it processed and receive confirmation

Maybe there are a significant number of submissions which end at #2 ie the guest never replies to the email for whatever reason.

If you go by the reservation-first route:
1. Make reservation and submit BRG
2. Have it processed and receive confirmation

So it immediately eliminates 1 processing step for the BRG team, and also hopefully cuts down on non-responders.
I think the BRG form should retain its old form for 1 possible exception:
When spg.com is sold out completely sold out (not just a particular room category), but a 3rd party website is still selling rooms for the hotel.

If we are required to have a confirmed reservation in order to file such a BRG, then this BRG cannot be filed at all (under the new rules) as there is no way to have any reservation on spg.com since it is completely sold out, and we cannot file BRG based on availability for 3rd party websites (and none for spg.com).
Quote: I think the BRG form should retain its old form for 1 possible exception:
When spg.com is sold out completely sold out (not just a particular room category), but a 3rd party website is still selling rooms for the hotel.

If we are required to have a confirmed reservation in order to file such a BRG, then this BRG cannot be filed at all (under the new rules) as there is no way to have any reservation on spg.com since it is completely sold out, and we cannot file BRG based on availability for 3rd party websites (and none for spg.com).
you can, please see post #1235
I for one will be using the BRG less than before, which will result, I suspect in fewer nights from me. Given the variability of the interpretation of the terms by the agents and the fact that rates from the competing provider may be pulled at any time, I will not be able to risk that the claim is denied when another chain has a similarly attractive offer. All my claims have been without an existing reservation. If I have to make a non-refundable reservation and then hope and prey for the competing rate to be matched, I am much more likely to book in a competing chain at a price I know will be honoured.

Maybe that's the whole point of the change though.
Quote: If I have to make a non-refundable reservation and then hope and prey for the competing rate to be matched, I am much more likely to book in a competing chain at a price I know will be honoured.

Why would you have to make a non-refundable reservation?
Quote: Why would you have to make a non-refundable reservation?
I assumed that being able to beat fully flexible rates on the same terms was going to be much harder. It'd be great if that were not the case. Sorry if that's been discussed earlier.
Quote: I assumed that being able to beat fully flexible rates on the same terms was going to be much harder. It'd be great if that were not the case. Sorry if that's been discussed earlier.

It's in the wiki at the top:

"Cancellation policy has no bearing on a BRG claim with one exception if the rate difference is within 1%. "

In other words, always book a flexible rate when submitting a BRG. It is not taken into account.

Unless it just so happens that you found a flexible rate that is just slightly cheaper than a prepaid rate. Only in this special case will the BRG team take into account the flexible vs prepaid - normally if the competing rate is less than 1% cheaper, it will be denied. But if it happens to have flexible terms and the SPG rate is prepaid or has cancellation penalties, then they will allow the claim to be processed even if the difference is less than 1%.

"Starwood may deny claims where the difference between the Competing Rate and the rate on the Starwood Website is less than one percent; provided that Starwood will not use the fact that the difference between the Competing Rate and the rate on the Starwood Website is less than one percent to deny such claims if the cancellation policy for the Competing Rate is more favorable to the guest than the cancellation policy for the rate on the Starwood Website."
So we'll book a flexible rate on spg.com and any validation will be between the alternative provider and the lowest non-changeable rate available on spg.com at the time? Clearly they won't be comparing the flexible rate on the reservation to the non-flexible rate submitted...
Exactly.
Quote: So we'll book a flexible rate on spg.com and any validation will be between the alternative provider and the lowest non-changeable rate available on spg.com at the time? Clearly they won't be comparing the flexible rate on the reservation to the non-flexible rate submitted...
As someone else said... exactly.

Unless the difference is less than 1%, they just compare your rate and the absolute lowest rate on spg.com, promotions etc included. It doesn't have to be a non-flexible rate on spg.com. Just the very lowest. Though of course you hardly ever find a flexible rate lower than a prepaid rate. But it does happen.

Then they amend the actual rate when they approve it.

Only the rate is amended; the reservation retains it's flexibility or cancellation penalties, as the case may be. That does not change.
If that's really how it will end up being, I have no issues at all with that! ^
Is anyone having difficulty with the claim form right now? I am unable to select a currency (and therefore, finalize the form) on either a Mac using Safari or a PC using IE.
I wasn't aware of the new requirement of needing a confirmed reservation. Sent in 3 claims this past weekend, 2 got denied due to this new rule, 1 was nice enough to allow me to book afterward like before. The good news is, the processing time were all within 12 hr. I resubmitted one this morning at around 10 and got approved in 3 hr. That's the fastest I've seen.

One problem though, I checked my reservation, hit "send confirmation" and refresh, but it still didn't allow me to view my full reservation. I guess I will have to phone in to apply Suite Night coupons.

Oh, I also found that I could not select the correct currency on the claim form when using google chrome, but was ok with IE. I tired them both on my laptop and office computer.
I have tried to BRG a rate found only when clicking through from Trivago but have had no luck. Do you enter the URL of the hotel site you find and explain in the notes to go via the search engine or what?
Quote: I have tried to BRG a rate found only when clicking through from Trivago but have had no luck. Do you enter the URL of the hotel site you find and explain in the notes to go via the search engine or what?
For me, after price comparison, I would open a new page going directly to the target booking site, putting the dates in, and making sure I get the same price. This eliminates the referral link from the price comparison website. That's the url I use for the claim form and has been successful.