Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Bumped from my hotel at midnight and downgraded to a dump!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When the front desk agent told you that you were being sent to another hotel, did you ask for the name and location of the hotel? That would have been the time to negotiate for a better hotel in a better location.

OTOH, the part of this story that shocks me the most is a guest being taken for a ride by a hotel employee (even it it's the "manager" which I suspect means someone with an assistant manager title) in the employee's personal vehicle at midnight. There are liability issues here as well as the risk of assault by either party.

IME most alofts have a shuttle vehicle that provides local rides to guests. It would have at least seemed more professional if this had been used rather than an employee's private car, even if the private car was more convenient for the employee.
1) Where does OP say his ride was in a private vehicle?

2) Private vehicle or hotel shuttle...what is the difference in your assault risk being the only guest in the vehicle?
Old Nov 15, 2014, 5:15 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Hotel vehicle will carry insurance for use as a commercial passenger vehicle so if there is an accident you will have more chance of being looked after. Travelling in a private vehicle you will not be covered by insurance.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed
You clearly don't understand how this works.

OP wants to arrive on Sunday morning at 1AM. Solution is to rebook Saturday night, tell the hotel such, as well as book Sunday night. The room would not have been given up in this circumstance.

Past midnight is an early checking, not a late arrival.
Best way to get out of a hole is to stop digging.

Cheers,
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
Interesting. Normally when I made a full prepayment, I expect the room to be available regardless if I check in or not.

I have arrived late at hotels multiple times (flight delay, bad traffic, etc), and I've never been walked from any of the hotels which I've prepaid (member or not).
Old Nov 15, 2014, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by lighthand
Interesting. Normally when I made a full prepayment, I expect the room to be available regardless if I check in or not.

I have arrived late at hotels multiple times (flight delay, bad traffic, etc), and I've never been walked from any of the hotels which I've prepaid (member or not).
Yes, and that should be the case 100% of the time. However, if someone walks in, at say 9pm, without a reservation and your room is not occupied, there is a good chance the hotel will choose to sell your room again hoping to get that revenue and a no-show billing to you. Good risk management calls for them to charge enough for the walk-in that they can place you elsewhere and not lose too much. One hopes that their elites, especially top-tiered elites will be the last to lose their rooms.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 12:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

Aloft <> Days Inn.

Next time OP should ask which property hotel has rebooked to before accepting and if not satisfactory, check their smartphone for alternative.

Did hotel not offer a cab as a transportation option?
Old Nov 15, 2014, 5:11 pm

Hotels, airlines, etc. work on the same basis just different degrees. They will oversold taking the chances that some people will be no-show. In OP's case probably what happened is there was last minute walk-in people that want rooms and willing to pay full rack value on them, it's always in the hotel (airline's) best interest if people willing to pay full price, and then you walk the people showing up late elsewhere.

Yes it's a pain, but that's the nature of the business. To claim just because you've pre-pay something that something should be 100% guaranteed is simply not how hotel management works.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Hotels, airlines, etc. work on the same basis just different degrees. They will oversold taking the chances that some people will be no-show. In OP's case probably what happened is there was last minute walk-in people that want rooms and willing to pay full rack value on them, it's always in the hotel (airline's) best interest if people willing to pay full price, and then you walk the people showing up late elsewhere.

Yes it's a pain, but that's the nature of the business. To claim just because you've pre-pay something that something should be 100% guaranteed is simply not how hotel management works.
hmm.... Ok. So I guess this will be spell out in the T&Cs? After all once the Hotel have accepted your payment, it means there's a binding contract between both parties.

That being the case I would assume there will be a clause in T&C that covers this type of situation. Maybe OP can check this out and if not covered, maybe request for compensation?

Btw if I remember my biz law 101 (many yrs ago), ambiguity in contract shall always benefit the party who did not draft it.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:29 am
Suspended

Funny almost everyone who buys a tkt for a flight prepays and expects that they will have a seat on the flight they paid for,in some cases months in advance. Yet we all know that the Carriers oversell and in the end hope for some no-shows or misconnects so that they dont need an Vols (to pay off) or to IDB anyone. As do rent a car companys, all too often the compact or mid size I reserved is no where to be seen on their lot and Im told to pick some gas guzzler

So why should the hotel industry be any different? If anything like the airlines being walked at least IMO is very profitable for me and wish it happened alot more often
Old Nov 17, 2014, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others

Worse things have happened to me. I turned up at Park Inn Stavanger around midnight a few years ago- had a 3 night booking. They decided I am not turning up even though I had indicated late arrival and the reservation was guaranteed by a credit card- they didn't have a room and all the properties in Stavanger were sold out. I ended up sleeping in the conference room for that night (for free)- they brought a roll away. And used the gym for shower.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:39 am

I was walked for the first night of two at this hotel last year for the same reason, burst water pipes.

Aloft comped the night at Wingate/Wyndham, about 5 miles down the tollway. This hotel was priced about the same as Aloft that night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.