Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reservation booked by 2nd person in room

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2014, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Reservation booked by 2nd person in room

This is kind of a weird question, but due to problems in the past, I figured you guys might know.

If I'm sharing a room with someone, how can I have the secondary guest room book the reservation for myself and them, with their credit card for payment, but my SPG # for benefits/points/suite nights?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 3:06 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by nall
This is kind of a weird question, but due to problems in the past, I figured you guys might know.

If I'm sharing a room with someone, how can I have the secondary guest room book the reservation for myself and them, with their credit card for payment, but my SPG # for benefits/points/suite nights?
YMMV but that is against the T&C of the SPG program. All three conditions of 1) being the registered guest, 2) staying and 3) paying must be met. You cannot earn the points if you are not paying the bill.

2.8.b. An SPG Member may not earn Starpoints from stays at SPG Participating Hotels in which the SPG Member was not the registered guest, did not stay at SPG Participating Hotel, or did not pay the folio upon check-out.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 3:45 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
Assuming it's not a prepaid rate....

1. You book the room.
2. When booking on-line just use your card in file.
3. When you check into the hotel, present your guest's card.
4. When you check out, verify that charges are to their card.
5. Have a good time.

I've done this many times. Not a big deal. I suppose if MAY go against the T&C so YMMV. However, you did make the res, you will be in the room, and you will pay the bill (albeit with someone else's card).

If it's a prepaid rate, you'll have to pay with their card up-front. I have done this before with no probs.

Last edited by jb3t; Sep 1, 2014 at 3:52 pm
Old Sep 1, 2014, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Not "MAY", but "will". Handing them someone else's credit card is not you paying.

Whether it's caught - at the time of crediting or during a future audit, is a YMMV situation. Much safer to pay ion your card and have them reimburse you.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
A technique to "skirt" the rules is to book the rez using your card, have the other person pay part of the bill before you check out, check out with the remaining balance charged to your card. Member name and name of the last used CC should be all that's checked. I've heard that has worked.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by jb3t
....and you will pay the bill (albeit with someone else's card).
As far as the t and cs go, I'll let others figure that out. But...

I know we here at ft can occasionally stretch the truth a bit in order to max out our point earnings but the bolder part above is a little beyond "stretching". How is person A paying for a room with person B's credit card, actually paying for the room?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by fireworksboy
As far as the t and cs go, I'll let others figure that out. But...

I know we here at ft can occasionally stretch the truth a bit in order to max out our point earnings but the bolder part above is a little beyond "stretching". How is person A paying for a room with person B's credit card, actually paying for the room?
Well... I'm taking a stance that does not have much of a leg to stand on, BUT this could be interpreted in another way (admittedly probably not the intended way). I can read this as saying that the member needs to settle up the folio at checkout. It does say that it has to be a credit card in their name. If this is the case, I guess you're saying a spouse's card can't be used. Shoot... Person B could hand Person A cash at checkout if they wanted (assuming a CC is on file just-in-case someone drank the $4 water).

Regardless, The OP made the reservation and is staying in the room. I'm fairly confident the hotel is not going to raise a stink. If they do, the OP should just pay for it and be reimbursed by their guest.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by CPRich
Not "MAY", but "will". Handing them someone else's credit card is not you paying.

Whether it's caught - at the time of crediting or during a future audit, is a YMMV situation. Much safer to pay ion your card and have them reimburse you.
Technically any credit card payment results in a payment by a third party. If I hand in a credit card, it is Visa, Amex or Mastercard paying and getting reimbursement from me. Having said this I never ever had any issue just because of the credit card. I have personally used credit cards in my name, the name of my employer, my wife or on a prepaid base without any name - all without any issue on 500 stays in 3 years
Old Sep 2, 2014, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by jb3t
...Regardless, The OP made the reservation and is staying in the room. I'm fairly confident the hotel is not going to raise a stink. If they do, the OP should just pay for it and be reimbursed by their guest.
Unfortunately, you may not find out until long after your departure. The back office processes the postings and if they decide the stay does not qualify per the T&Cs there is nothing you can do at that point. If you're lucky you might find a considerate agent that is willing to allow the points.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Technically any credit card payment results in a payment by a third party. If I hand in a credit card, it is Visa, Amex or Mastercard paying and getting reimbursement from me. Having said this I never ever had any issue just because of the credit card. I have personally used credit cards in my name, the name of my employer, my wife or on a prepaid base without any name - all without any issue on 500 stays in 3 years
Although past performance may set expectation, it might not trump T&Cs if they choose to enforce them. Yes, it may work, but would you be willing to risk the last stay of the year that will put you over that last threshold to the status you hope to earn? At least if this happens earlier in the year, as in this case, you still have time to recover.

Unfortunately there are many FDCs that really don't know the rules, let alone the intent of the rules. I've read reports of members being told just because the company name is on the card, they don't qualify. There have been reports of spouses using their card to check out and being told they don't qualify. I've been told once making status it's for life. We know these to be wrong or should be wrong. If that could only change what other people think...

Last edited by RogerD408; Sep 2, 2014 at 9:36 am
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:41 pm

I can only speak from experience, which includes 10 straight years plat, 105 nights this year alone, 100+ nights last year, yadda yadda yadda. MANY times I have paid with a credit card that was not in my name (wife's, company, etc.). Never have I not been granted points because if this. Never has anyone even questioned payment. Keep in mind that every time I made the res and was staying in the room.

Maybe I have been lucky. Perhaps the TOC is open to interpretation. I guess if the OP wants to be absolutely safe, they should pay and get reimbursed but I can say from my experience, this has never been a problem.

I'd be curious to hear from someone who's points were not granted when they used their wife's card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.