Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Starwood in downtown San Francisco?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BrianLo
I'm deciding between a few of the *current* cat 5 hotels to use points between. This thread seems to side resoundingly on the former Market Street Westin (? now Park Central).

Is this still largely the case?

Mostly from a tourist perspective, a great breakfast benefit would be a nice plus, a room upgrade is not a make or break for me.
I've recently stayed at the W, Westin Market and Palace. I've stayed at the Westin St Francis a while back.

I'd highly recommend the Palace. The breakfast is delicious and served in the beautiful historic atrium. Beds are comfortable, but don't expect suite upgrades. Location is great. Right next to Muni for getting around. Walking distance to Embarcadero and (the zoo around) Union Square.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Are we reading the same thread? It looks pretty split to me. Of the four downtown properties (the Sheraton is pretty out of the way), I would place that property at the bottom of the list.
I just realized that the Palace is a different hotel than the Park Central, I think I was lumping some of the positive things about the Palace on the former Westin Market Street.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
My fave downtown was the Westin Market... now Park Central. I think Park Central stayed in Starwood even though it previously announced it was leaving. If so, it remains my preferred choice in downtown SF (or actually in SF, period).
Old Mar 13, 2015, 9:13 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
I have a 2-night stay coming up in April. We're travelling with an infant so our #1 goal is securing a suite with a door separating the living room and bedroom. I applied SNAs to reservations at the St. Regis, the Palace and W. The rates were pretty similar at the Palace and W and I used points at the St. Regis (pre-increase).

Our current plan is to choose whichever hotel puts us into the biggest suite with a slight preference for the St. Regis based on the decent points value and our fondness for the brand. The hotels all seemed somewhat busy with a few different room types sold out at each property so hopefully at least one of the SNAs clear.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by spgplat21
I have a 2-night stay coming up in April. We're travelling with an infant so our #1 goal is securing a suite with a door separating the living room and bedroom. I applied SNAs to reservations at the St. Regis, the Palace and W. The rates were pretty similar at the Palace and W and I used points at the St. Regis (pre-increase).

Our current plan is to choose whichever hotel puts us into the biggest suite with a slight preference for the St. Regis based on the decent points value and our fondness for the brand. The hotels all seemed somewhat busy with a few different room types sold out at each property so hopefully at least one of the SNAs clear.
We stayed 2 weeks at the Palace with an infant in a suite. I booked a "Superior Suite" with money, but due to a problem, we got the next size up. It was really roomy and we had a great stay. The Palace tends to be quite busy. I've had difficulty getting room upgrades (not suites) other times as platinum.

I'm more flexible with SF locations when I travel by myself. When I travel with family, I try to get a hotel near Market St. I've never stayed at the St Regis, since it's usually above my budget
Old Nov 26, 2015, 2:02 pm

I'm looking for a week of hotel in downtown SF in January and I'm bringing the wife and two kids, 1 and 4. We bring travel beds for the kids, so one bed for me and the wife is enough. Looking for recommendations on which to choose.

Wish list:
A suite with a separate bedroom, so the baby can go to bed early.
A large lobby, where I can drive a stroller in circles at night, to make the jetlagged kids go back to sleep.
Nice (platinum) breakfast, preferably a buffet.

I've got a reasonable budget and plenty of SNAs. Last time, we were in a suite at the Palace, which was great. Queen Luxury suites are on sale at Le Meridien.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 4:19 pm

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
Le Meridien has a small lobby, but I do like their rooms. The Palace has been renovated so it is probably your best choice. There is always the Park Central, but the rooms and service leave are not up to the standard of SPG. I have had luck getting an upgraded room at the Park Central and they are very spacious.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 4:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sonomawine
Le Meridien has a small lobby, but I do like their rooms. The Palace has been renovated so it is probably your best choice. There is always the Park Central, but the rooms and service leave are not up to the standard of SPG. I have had luck getting an upgraded room at the Park Central and they are very spacious.
Watch out for the "resort" fee at the Park Central.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 5:20 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
I'm looking for a week of hotel in downtown SF in January and I'm bringing the wife and two kids, 1 and 4. We bring travel beds for the kids, so one bed for me and the wife is enough. Looking for recommendations on which to choose.

Wish list:
A suite with a separate bedroom, so the baby can go to bed early.
A large lobby, where I can drive a stroller in circles at night, to make the jetlagged kids go back to sleep.
Nice (platinum) breakfast, preferably a buffet.

I've got a reasonable budget and plenty of SNAs. Last time, we were in a suite at the Palace, which was great. Queen Luxury suites are on sale at Le Meridien.

Le Meridien is not much of a hotel but the rooms are nice which is what I'd focus on. You are short walking distance from the Ferry Building, the Exploratorium and the F line. Very quiet area of town on the weekends but honestly I don't think any of the Starwoods (or any SF hotels for that matter) have really outstanding location. The value is also likely good over the weekend as this is principally a business hotel.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 5:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Looks like this thread wasn't merged into the Master Thread

The Master thread may be helpful: San Francisco Area Starwood Hotels (General Discussion 2008 Onward)
Old Nov 27, 2015, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Watch out for the "resort" fee at the Park Central.
Agree, but I have had success in getting it waived recently. Annoying to even to have to do ask.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 10:16 pm

Programs: Krisflyer Gold, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Agree, but I have had success in getting it waived recently. Annoying to even to have to do ask.
I have a night coming up at Park Central and remember seeing Resort Fee on the quote. Any tips on getting it waived?
Old Nov 29, 2015, 10:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by w4rd
I have a night coming up at Park Central and remember seeing Resort Fee on the quote. Any tips on getting it waived?
The only reliable way is to stay elsewhere.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by w4rd
They tend to waive it for Plat if you ask nicely. If they don't, ask for a couple of drink vouchers.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 1:21 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
They tend to waive it for Plat if you ask nicely. If they don't, ask for a couple of drink vouchers.
Interesting. I have stayed there and never thought to ask. Ridiculously annoying fee - although I like this property. Great location and generally good prices even with the ridiculous resort fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.