Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Starwood in downtown San Francisco?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2012, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Which Starwood in downtown San Francisco?

I am looking to book one of the Starwood properties for a stay in Feb 2013. The Meridien has the best ratings but no lounge. Then I discovered that the Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf doesn't have a lounge either! (What's up with that, every Sheraton I stay in has a lounge?). My criteria (for a reward stay) are:
- location, views, proximity to ferries;
- a lounge (if there are any!);
- easy access to SFO.
Thanks in advance for you suggestions!
Old Oct 21, 2012, 8:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Either of the Westins but I like the one on Market St. Closer to the ferry per your criteria. I can't comment on the lounge though.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 8:26 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
The Sheraton is no way near downtown San Francisco. In terms of views there aren't any hotel that has a perfect view, but some has some views.

Since you did not give any options then your best choice is the St. Regis.

Might I also suggest looking at the Master Thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...iscussion.html
Old Oct 21, 2012, 9:59 pm

In few days I will be in San Francisco. any recommendation for restaurants / places to visit?

Thanks
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by KSA_USA
In few days I will be in San Francisco. any recommendation for restaurants / places to visit?

Thanks
Slanted Door in the Embarcadero. It's a modern Vietnamese place with some of the best mussels and scallops I've ever had. And the whole fish will knock your socks off.

I'd also walk around Golden Gate Park.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLAT
Westin union sq is nice. The staff is awesome. The luxury collection hotel on downtown is nicer hotel though . No lounge in dirt one of those hotels. Sheraton fisherman wharf is old. No lounge either. As a platinum guest you get the full breakfast. It is far away from downtown .
I havent tried the st.regis or w . I am sure it will be lot nicer.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 5:50 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
St Regis is nice and has a wonderful restaurant, Ames. But it is in Soma so personally, I prefer the location of the Westin.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 6:46 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by KSA_USA

Thanks
I'll PM you. (Since this is a Starwood Forum, don't want it to get off track.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 7:12 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hertz PC, Starwood Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Gold
Le Meridien

If you are platinum the Le Meridien offers a great continental breakfast in their restaurant for platinum guests, with a very small buy-up to a full breakfast or buffet.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 9:58 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by CLEguy
Slanted Door in the Embarcadero. It's a modern Vietnamese place with some of the best mussels and scallops I've ever had. And the whole fish will knock your socks off.

I'd also walk around Golden Gate Park.
I second this. Was there recently, this restaurant is amazing. I also stayed at the SF Palace (SPG Luxury Collection). Very nice property, older and elegant if that is the kind of thing you are looking for.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:16 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Westin on Market street is much nicer than Westin St Francis. Staff is frendlier, rooms are more updated, great location overall as well. W San Fran is not bad either, but its a W (with everything that comes with it).
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Despite its history, the Westin St Francis can be disappointing, although I have seen some nice suites in the original building.

Depending on the price point, I would suggest the Palace (LC) [or StR or W, depending on one's style preferences] or the LM [or the other Westin, depending on the desired location].
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:12 pm

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Westin Market St. is the best, by far. Batting 1.000 on suite upgrades. Nice view, close to BART, close to Muni busses. Le Meridien is my second suggestion. Westin St. Francis is awful. Bad upgrade chances, plus you're on the fringe of the Tenderloin and there's an old wing to the hotel. Not a fan of the Palace. Either you have no view or a view of Market St. which happens to be loud. Nice hotel, though. FANTASTIC platinum breakfast. Best I've had anywhere. Sheraton Fishermans Wharf in nice but not convenient to the rest of the city...just the tourist trap of the wharf.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:48 pm

Programs: Southwest A+ & CP, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, Choice Gold, UA, US Air, Hertz, National
Disappointed to read so many neg comments on Westin St Francis, I am taking the kids to SF in December and was hoping to score a nice plat upgrade and get a view of Union Sq (ice rink, christmas lights etc). I guess I should look at Westin Market St instead? Main criteria are kid friendly hotel and maximizing benefit of plat upgrade.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA Gold, SPG PLT, Avis First, Global Entry
Originally Posted by pavemental
Disappointed to read so many neg comments on Westin St Francis, I am taking the kids to SF in December and was hoping to score a nice plat upgrade and get a view of Union Sq (ice rink, christmas lights etc). I guess I should look at Westin Market St instead? Main criteria are kid friendly hotel and maximizing benefit of plat upgrade.
The old tower at the St Francis has great view of the square, but it definitely feels like an older hotel. I cannot comment on the upgrade-ability as we paid for an upgrade (3 people/ 2 rooms).

The Westin Market St is a short walk from Union Square and neither of these properties had a lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.