Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Which Starwood hotel in Hong Kong? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2014, 6:32 am

Programs: free agent
Greeting! It's my first year as SPG gold and plan to be in HK late October. Was looking at cash&points option, but came dry. Do you think I should wait little bit before HK properties offer c&p options? Would love to stay at three properties to knock down 3 night stay to get closer to plat, tho
Old Sep 7, 2014, 7:46 pm

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
Originally Posted by Putt86
Greeting! It's my first year as SPG gold and plan to be in HK late October. Was looking at cash&points option, but came dry. Do you think I should wait little bit before HK properties offer c&p options? Would love to stay at three properties to knock down 3 night stay to get closer to plat, tho
These 3 hotels don't have much C&P option.

Are you there for work or business? Do note that although Le Meridien Cyberport is a brilliant property, it's not that close to shopping areas.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 9:37 pm

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by LuisHK
These 3 hotels don't have much C&P option.

Are you there for work or business? Do note that although Le Meridien Cyberport is a brilliant property, it's not that close to shopping areas.
Ah good to know (lack of c&p options) and I'm there for fun. Hopefully 3rd party websites can offer good rates and leverage BRG
Old Sep 8, 2014, 6:52 am

Programs: AMEX Plat / AY Plat, BA GGL-CCR / Bonvoy Titanium (LTP)
Originally Posted by Putt86
October is busy in HK - rates go way up - so you might want to secure your stay early. The W usually sells out when a fashion fair is on.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Globalist.
Heading to HK with my wife for a five day stay later this year.

I'm Plat and currently booked the Sheraton (64k pts total + 2,750pts/night for Towers). Not planning to use an SNA there (upgrades seem subpar), would rather save them and just take my chances with a checkin upgrade.

There was no availability at the W when I booked originally, but some just opened up (100k points total) and there's also Marvelous Suite availability, which I believe is the highest suite they will upgrade you to with an SNA (unless anyone has been upgraded to Wow / E-Wow on SNA there?).

Since that's opened up, my plan right now is to wait until 5 days out and if it's all still available, spend the extra points to switch to the W and apply an SNA to get the Marvelous Suite.

This is my first time in Hong Kong, does this sound like a solid plan to those who have been before?

The things I care about for this trip are having a good view of the harbour and a large / awesome room. The breakfast, location, lounge, etc. benefits are all great but not as big of a priority for this specific trip.

Thanks for any help!
Old Nov 17, 2014, 9:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rdelk
This is my first time in Hong Kong, does this sound like a solid plan to those who have been before?
It's an okay plan if you don't mind the location of the W.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Globalist.
Originally Posted by moondog
It's an okay plan if you don't mind the location of the W.
Definitely a downside in terms of local area, but I think we'll be spending most of our time either at the hotel or in Hong Kong proper, and it doesn't look like it takes much longer to get into the city from the W than the Sheraton. I don't mind a few taxi / Uber rides to get around in exchange for a much nicer hotel / room.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
I'd still go for a Towers Harbour View Room at the Sheraton. Any kind of room pales in comparison to that view.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, DL
Originally Posted by rdelk

The things I care about for this trip are having a good view of the harbour and a large / awesome room. The breakfast, location, lounge, etc. benefits are all great but not as big of a priority for this specific trip.
Preferences will vary, but mine is the W over the Sheraton. As for location, its very easy to get to Hong Kong island from the W. And the views of the Harbor in the morning are spectacular. You mention breakfast isn't a priority, but the buffet really is ridiculous.

I also appreciate how easy it is to get to the W from the airport using public transportation. Really couldn't be simpler.

I was upgraded to a Marvelous suite while I was last there this past summer. However, I'm not sure if a Marvelous suite is their standard SNA upgrade. If in fact it is, it really is a great suite, with fantastic views of the harbor from the expansive bathroom and bedroom
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question what about SPG properties other than W & Sheraton??

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Why stay in SZ when you are in HK? Don't do that!!!

You could spend a night or two in Macao if you'd like, quick hydrofoil ride from HK.
I read this thread end-to-end and, quite frankly, I am sick of the incessant banter on which property is better - the W or the Sheraton!

I would like to broaden the discussion to ask about a couple of properties which show up on starwoodhotels.com under "Hong Kong" but are not in HK proper:

Sheraton Macau - great reviews, direct access from HKIA, worth the boat ride?

4 Points Shenzen - no longer a bargain for SPG redemptions but good for shops?

Sheraton Huizou - is it easy to reach this "resort" via public transit?

Sheraton Zhuhai - opens in April?

Others worth considering?

Last edited by Antonio8069; Jan 30, 2015 at 9:27 am Reason: addition
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:30 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
The other properties are just not in Hong Kong. All require crossing a border to get to and from and the China properties require not only a visa but most likely a multiple entry one.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Isn't there still a LM in Hong Kong but somewhat off the beaten track? I've never been there, but I recall it getting good comments here.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, BW Diamond, TK Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Isn't there still a LM in Hong Kong but somewhat off the beaten track? I've never been there, but I recall it getting good comments here.
LM located in Cyberport, too too far away from city, unless you just wanted to go Stanley or somewhere else in Island South or you have business in Cyberport area, otherwise I would not recommend this.

One of my colleague told me, if you stay at W, there will be a free smartphone loan service, with HK local SIM card inside, free of charge for all local calls/internet. You don't even need to ask for this, the phone is already on the table inside your room when you check in.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 7:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

Cyberport has it's own thread.

During rush hour it is a 45 minute ride to Central. Zero nightlife in the area. Definitely more relaxed than the Sheraton and W.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:06 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I read this thread end-to-end and, quite frankly, I am sick of the incessant banter on which property is better - the W or the Sheraton!

I would like to broaden the discussion to ask about a couple of properties which show up on starwoodhotels.com under "Hong Kong" but are not in HK proper:

Sheraton Macau - great reviews, direct access from HKIA, worth the boat ride?

4 Points Shenzen - no longer a bargain for SPG redemptions but good for shops?

Sheraton Huizou - is it easy to reach this "resort" via public transit?

Sheraton Zhuhai - opens in April?

Others worth considering?
+1 for Sheraton Macau, if you can deal with the 1 hour ferry ride each way. Excellent lounge, service, and upgrades are good (in my experience) as a Platinum member. Happy Hour food was phenomenal, a full on dinner buffet with a roast beef station. Open bar for your alcoholic needs.

However there are *alot* of PRC nationals, and they tend to dominate the Macau visitor demographic. They tend to jostle and speak loud, more their culture than anything to do with manners. Dining hall (only 1 i've seen so far in my SPG stays) can get packed and with high ceiings can get crowded and noisy. Staff do their best given the crowd. You can however choose the sofa lounges for a more sedate dining experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.