Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, China, Opened Jan 2011 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
SPG INSTANT AWARDS

CLUB LOUNGE BENEFITS (As of February 2018)
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, China, Opened Jan 2011 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Need basic advice

I'm considering a short stay at the Sheraton Hongkou in a few weeks. I've only been to Shanghai once, and that was many years ago, so bear with me if I ask some basic questions:

1. How much of a walk (in kms or minutes) is it to the Bund and other places to see, and is it a pleasant walk? I'm not looking for particular tourist attractions or night life...just nice places to stroll, air quality and weather permitting. I like to walk, so if getting to such places in an hour by foot is feasible, I'd be up for that.
2. What's the best way to get between the hotel and the airport? I'd like to check out the maglev (sp?) train. Would taking that, and then a taxi if necessary to the hotel, be a feasible option? (FWIW, my arriving flight would be about 5:30 p.m. and my departing one about 6 p.m., and I'd be traveling light, with just a carry-on.)

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by Thunderroad; Oct 23, 2014 at 4:01 pm
Old Oct 23, 2014, 5:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I'm considering a short stay at the Sheraton Hongkou in a few weeks. I've only been to Shanghai once, and that was many years ago, so bear with me if I ask some basic questions:

1. How much of a walk (in kms or minutes) is it to the Bund and other places to see, and is it a pleasant walk? I'm not looking for particular tourist attractions or night life...just nice places to stroll, air quality and weather permitting. I like to walk, so if getting to such places in an hour by foot is feasible, I'd be up for that.
2. What's the best way to get between the hotel and the airport? I'd like to check out the maglev (sp?) train. Would taking that, and then a taxi if necessary to the hotel, be a feasible option? (FWIW, my arriving flight would be about 5:30 p.m. and my departing one about 6 p.m., and I'd be traveling light, with just a carry-on.)

Thanks for any advice!
1. You can walk from there to the Bund in around 15 minutes. It's not a very picturesque walk, but it's not dangerous either.

2. Taxi is best, but Maglev/taxi isn't considerably slower; just be on guard for aggressive touts at Longyang Road.

Honestly, if you don't have a specific reason to be in that part of town, I'd advise you to stay somewhere more interesting (e.g. Jing'an, Xuhui, Luwan).
Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks for all of the info and advice! I picked it because its rates (about $170/night, including taxes) and reviews are relatively good, and as long as I'm walking distance to some stuff to see I'm fine. But if you have any other SPG recommendations in that vein, I'd really welcome them.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Thanks for all of the info and advice! I picked it because its rates (about $170/night, including taxes) and reviews are relatively good, and as long as I'm walking distance to some stuff to see I'm fine. But if you have any other SPG recommendations in that vein, I'd really welcome them.
I have a hard time keeping track of official rates because I usually use private rate plans of one sort or another, but $170 is equivalent to around Y900 before service charge gets tacked on, and I think most SPG properties in Shanghai can be snagged for about that.

12 Hengshen is my favorite, followed by the LRM, and then the Westin.

<BIG GAP>

Sheraton Hongqiao (I'd rather be out there than Hongkou or Pudong)
Sheraton Hongkou (at least it's not in Pudong)
Hongta

I don't have first hand experience at any other SPG hotels in town.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks very much!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 5:27 am

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
One big plus is that if you're planning to explore the city via metro, Line 10's Hailun Road station is directly across the street from the hotel.

Down the block, north on Siping Road (the main road with all the traffic) is a small strip with a McD's, a Family Mart, a coffee shop and other assorted small businesses. The hotel recognizes platinums well. I've always gotten a suite when staying here.

The lounge is on the 37th floor and is pretty good. Breakfast is either in the lounge or the restaurant on the 2nd floor. Beware, they close it down EXACTLY at 1000 hours and by that time, they've run out of practically everything. Juice, expresso, yoghurt, bacon....

Last edited by abraxis; Oct 24, 2014 at 8:35 am
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
I'm staying here for 1 night on New Year's eve, hope there's no compulsory dinner gala thingy.... Nothing seen on the website yet.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 3:44 am

Updated wiki with Sheraton Club Lounge benefits.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by lcpteck
Updated wiki with Sheraton Club Lounge benefits.
Updated.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 1:47 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
One night impression of Honkou

Staying 3 + weeks in this great city and needed to get away from my main hotel.

Some quick impressions:
Location: As others noted across the street from Hailun Stop on line10, 3 stops to East Nanjing line 2 and Bund
Hotel: Nice grand lobby and great check-in staff, they were really nice and upgraded me to a huge room, best available, given my base corporate rate, who am I to complain
Lounge: 32 second floor, very nice and spacious, great attendants, sadly the best view is taken by Miyabi Japanese Restaurant. Food and drink are like the Grand Sheraton, but service better IMHO. They have a bunch of awards displayed there, I can see why the won them.
Room: Very nice huge suite, all the furniture and stuff in good shape, including electric sockets, which is more than what I can say about the Grand Sheraton.
2nd floor Breakfast: Huge selection, good presentation, about the same as Grand Sheraton, a bit nicer IMHO
Gym/Pool: This killed it for me, limited dumbells to 20kg, a few machines and jammed together, with the worst thing the horrible pool smell as basement location must mean shared air with pool.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 10:59 pm

Stayed here for 1 night last week and still the hotel I would stay at when in Shanghai. The direct Line 10 metro to Shanghai Hongqiao High Speed rail station is convenient as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.