Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

St. Regis Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:21 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I actually read this twice. How did it work?
You are pretty much spot on!

To the effect of;

Me: There is no papaya here, can I have some from the fridge? *quick point at the fridge*

Staff: *turns around, then turns back* *thinks for a moment* then says "sorry sir, I cannot, that is for later on"

I am a bit shocked/confused at that refusal, this is a St Regis right? and it's fruit dammit ... not caviar.

Anyway, I walk back to my table (it's the first table next to that particular cold drinks/fruit buffet, so I clearly see what happens 5 feet away at the place where I got denied a serving of papaya. The original staff member goes to the back of kitchen. Two minutes or so later, another guest walks up to the buffet, says something to a new staff member, opens the fridge door and out comes the papaya. That plate of papaya doesn't go onto the buffet or the fridge but placed on the table behind, then another guest pops up, that staff gives him some papaya.

Originally Posted by m0hamed
The breakfast incident is bizarre. The fridge and chefs exist for a reason. On our last visit the restaurant was completely overflowing into the bar. I would mention this in the post survey and the F&B Manager will contact you.

I can only imagine the photography issue relates to protecting guests, but that does not excuse the behaviour. It should have been handled with more tact and discretion - it is a StR, after all.
Maybe it is for issues relating to privacy however I am generally a chicken/embarrassed when it comes to taking photos in public places esp nicer hotels/resorts / premium airlines etc so am well aware of other people's privacy and try my best to avoid people in photos.

Actually I just looked through my photos and we only took one photo that morning - maybe we were looking around too long, looked out of place or maybe our gym wear didn't look attractive enough for a luxury property - because the night before, we were dressed much nicely as we dined at Gaggan and when we returned - took 14 photographs in and around the hotel and bar when we returned - and nobody batted an eyelid. But anyway, still a bit off putting when someone comes up to you and it makes you feel like you shouldn't be there.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by alanslegal
I am a bit shocked/confused at that refusal, this is a St Regis right? and it's fruit dammit ... not caviar.
Sorry for post padding but I clearly recall the conversation I had with my wife moments after not getting my papaya;

To the effect;

Me: I asked for cut papaya from the fridge as there was none on the table and I got refused.

She: You did, that's strange.

Me: Yes I know, it is a St Regis. A hotel of this category should never say no to guests.

She: They should have given you some papaya, then if it ran out, they can go order some more or get a staff to go pick some papaya up.

Anyway, strange indeed.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:01 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I find it sad that after so many years they still can't deliver the quality soft product that they should. Sorry you all had to suffer, but my three stays there taught me to not return.
Old May 24, 2017, 6:09 am
kkl

They have opened Decanter as a breakfast area for plats.

Able to grab food from the main breakfast area, and staff will transport it to your private table in Decanter. Decanter has also a small setup of bottled juices, fruits, sushi, pastries etc.

Much quieter and peaceful compared to the main breakfast room. Hot food can also be ordered at the stations and passing them your table number in Decanter to be brought to when its cooked.

Was offered freshly squeezed orange juice. Tasted good but was pulp free though.

Seems like Platinum hour has been greatly reduced? Was only offered 2 drink vouchers per night to be used at the St Regis bar.

Laundry is still 4 pieces per day per guest. So theoretically 8 pieces of laundry a day which is excellent.

Hotel has been pretty much sold out the past few days.
Old May 24, 2017, 11:05 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
So we have booked our stay for 3 nights in Feb. How good are the concierges? This will be our first time in BKK so we will need some help/suggestions with just about everything from tours to dinning.

And as far as transportation from BKK to the hotel what do most of you do? Just grab a cab at the airport? I feel stupid for asking but we have never set foot in Asia. I should probably note this is a vacation.
Old May 25, 2017, 12:40 am

Taxis are generally OK but for added sense of convenience, safety etc I would go with the AOT Limo.
You’ll see big signs of the AOT upon clearing baggage claim. Just approach one arrange. They’re relatively inexpensive (different types of vehicles at different rates), friendlier, courteous, safer and much nicer cars.
Old May 25, 2017, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by 1readyset2go
So we have booked our stay for 3 nights in Feb. How good are the concierges? This will be our first time in BKK so we will need some help/suggestions with just about everything from tours to dinning.

And as far as transportation from BKK to the hotel what do most of you do? Just grab a cab at the airport? I feel stupid for asking but we have never set foot in Asia. I should probably note this is a vacation.
I always buy a SIM Card once I exit airport customs and use Uber
Old May 25, 2017, 2:29 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat

It depends on the time of day. Late at night and early morning taxi is ok. Between 4 pm and 9 pm or morning peak hour traffic can be very heavy. Then the 40 min taxi ride becomes 1.5 - 2 hrs. I usually then catch the airport train then BTS. Airport train is easy and if you go to end of the line you can go down to street level and catch a cab or continue on with BTS. You need to swap trains on BTS so with luggage you would be better in a taxi. BTS has direct connection via a walkway to the St Regis and is one of the most convenient ways to get around Bangkok.
Old May 25, 2017, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
You should have no problem. The StR is a top hotel, and it will have competent concierges. At least one, probably more, will be members of Les Clefs d'Or. I would contact the Concierge well before you arrive. That way you can exchange emails, whittle down what you want to see, let him/her make whatever arrangements may be necessary or helpful.

The first time I went to Asia was to Bangkok. I paid the hotel for a meet-me-at-the-plane service. There was a hotel staffer standing at the end of the jetway waiting for me when I got off the plane. I only did it that once, but it was worth every baht, IMO. I, too, had been flying for about a day upon arrival. S/he will shepherd you through immigration, baggage claim and customs, after which you'll get into the StR car out front. Couldn't be easier. Check with the hotel and find out what it costs. I'm sure that the concierge will set it up if you like.

Concierge desk is open 24×7; email is here.
Old May 25, 2017, 7:02 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
You should have no problem. The StR is a top hotel, and it will have competent concierges. At least one, probably more, will be members of Les Clefs d'Or. I would contact the Concierge well before you arrive. That way you can exchange emails, whittle down what you want to see, let him/her make whatever arrangements may be necessary or helpful.

The first time I went to Asia was to Bangkok. I paid the hotel for a meet-me-at-the-plane service. There was a hotel staffer standing at the end of the jetway waiting for me when I got off the plane. I only did it that once, but it was worth every baht, IMO. I, too, had been flying for about a day upon arrival. S/he will shepherd you through immigration, baggage claim and customs, after which you'll get into the StR car out front. Couldn't be easier. Check with the hotel and find out what it costs. I'm sure that the concierge will set it up if you like.

Concierge desk is open 24×7; email is here.
Agree with booking Meet and Assist for any international arrival. The traffic is shocking so reducing any stress is a good idea.

The last time it took us around 90 mins from BKK. Reception said another guest had been in a car for two hours.
Old May 25, 2017, 7:29 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
Paid THB 3,200 net for the St Regis Car late last year.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by chad75
Paid THB 3,200 net for the St Regis Car late last year.
Usually pay about 400 baht for a taxi including tolls, given 85% of the journey by car is on expressways its not a particularly taxing drive apart from the traffic in peak hours. Generally the taxis are of a high standard and clean. Of course the AOT cars and hotel cars will be of a higher standard but I doubt you will get a lot of extra value for spending the extra. At the taxi stand they have a service that writes the hotel for the taxi driver so they know where to go so really its pretty straight forward if you want to take that route.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:17 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott - Platinum/LTG | KF *G QPPS (working on TPPS) | OZ - Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by kkl
Seems like Platinum hour has been greatly reduced? Was only offered 2 drink vouchers per night to be used at the St Regis bar.

Laundry is still 4 pieces per day per guest. So theoretically 8 pieces of laundry a day which is excellent.
Alas - when I was there in March the Platinum hour was really 2 hrs and non-stop wine, beer, cocktails, and hor d'oeuvres - almost enough for a light dinner (and sufficient if supplemented with a late tea or post-dinner snack!)

I found that (despite being warned about the laundry quota not carrying over to subsequent days) the hotel was if anything more generous on that policy than stated. Not sure if it was a mistake but I was certainly thankful for the laundry.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by myko85
I always buy a SIM Card once I exit airport customs and use Uber
Assume you are aware that Uber is presently operating illegally in Thailand?

Originally Posted by geminidreams
It depends on the time of day. Late at night and early morning taxi is ok. Between 4 pm and 9 pm or morning peak hour traffic can be very heavy. Then the 40 min taxi ride becomes 1.5 - 2 hrs. I usually then catch the airport train then BTS. Airport train is easy and if you go to end of the line you can go down to street level and catch a cab or continue on with BTS. You need to swap trains on BTS so with luggage you would be better in a taxi. BTS has direct connection via a walkway to the St Regis and is one of the most convenient ways to get around Bangkok.
BTS is so crowded during peak times these days as the lines have been extended that I wouldn't want to try and get on a train with luggage between 07:00 to 10:00 and 15:00 to 20:00.

But I wouldn't stay at the St. Regis and take the BTS to the hotel from the airport anyway. You are not going to save a tremendous amount of time.

Originally Posted by geminidreams
At the taxi stand they have a service that writes the hotel for the taxi driver so they know where to go so really its pretty straight forward if you want to take that route.
They stopped that "service" months ago. You deal directly with the taxi driver now.
Old May 25, 2017, 10:20 am

Uber operates "illegally" in a lot of countries. Still probably operating illegally in some US cities as well. It doesn't make it any less "safe."

Personally, I like the fact that 1. I don't have to try to communicate with the driver and hope he understood where I am trying to go; 2. being able to check on the phone real time to see my location and verify he's driving on the correct path and not going off course.

To each his own

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.