Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Mumbai Garden City [Master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Mumbai Garden City [Master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2010, 6:30 pm
azj
Original Poster

Arrow Westin Mumbai Garden City [Master thread]

Any experiences at this new property? I'm looking for a hotel near the airport for March and thought I'd try a new one having already been to the ITC Maratha, Intercontinental and Le Meridian. The Westin has the best rates, by far. On the map, it looks decently close, but knowing Mumbai traffic, it could really be quite far. Any thoughts? They've got a great promo as well, but I only need the room 1 night.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 3:28 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
This property is over by the lake where the Renaissance is located. That is actually a great location for meetings in Navi Mumbai, not so great for sightseeing in Mumbai proper. For access to the Int'l terminal it might be ok. I'd give about 40 mins rather than say 5 from the ITC/Le Meridien/HR. For domestic airport it could be 30 mins more I guess. I'm going to give it a try sometime when I know all my meetings are in Navi Mumbai and I've re-qualified for GP.

Last edited by yosithezet; Mar 16, 2010 at 11:14 am Reason: Google Maps shows incorrect location.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 10:45 am
azj
Original Poster

Hmm... close proximity to Navi Mumbai might be a good idea. I'm still undecided on driving or flying to Pune. Since you have to go right through Navi Mumbai to get to the expressway, the Westin might be a good location. If I fly, it just sounds too far.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 3:04 am

Programs: Singapore, Cathay, QANTAS, Delta, Velocity, Etihad
Originally Posted by azj
Hmm... close proximity to Navi Mumbai might be a good idea. I'm still undecided on driving or flying to Pune. Since you have to go right through Navi Mumbai to get to the expressway, the Westin might be a good location. If I fly, it just sounds too far.
I undergo the same Mumbai-Pune transfer dilemna every time I visit and I always wind up doing it by car. No Mumbai<>Pune domestic flight ever seems to line-up with my international arrival/departure without a 10 hour layover.

But I have heard that the Mumbai<>Pune highway is officially the most dangerous stretch of highway on the planet...and I can believe it!
Old Feb 16, 2010, 10:23 am
azj
Original Poster

The last time I went to Pune, I hired a car to get there. While there, we ended up taking a day trip via car to and from Mumbai. Then, upon my departure from India, I took another car to Mumbai. After 2 roundtrips, I'm not so keen on that drive. My next trip will likely transit DEL or just fly to BOM , spend the night in an airport hotel and fly to Pune in the morning. IF I have to make that drive again, it will never be at night. It was just insanity.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 1:38 am

Programs: BD, DL, UA, AA, Marriott, SPG
Originally Posted by azj

The Four Points Sheraton at Vashi might be a good option for you too. It's on the way to the Expressway from Mumbai. It should take no more than 30 minutes to hit the Expressway from the 4 points.

The Westin is a much better property though.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by azj
Any experiences at this new property? I'm looking for a hotel near the airport for March and thought I'd try a new one having already been to the ITC Maratha, Intercontinental and Le Meridian. The Westin has the best rates, by far. On the map, it looks decently close, but knowing Mumbai traffic, it could really be quite far. Any thoughts? They've got a great promo as well, but I only need the room 1 night.
when in march is your reservation????i may end up staying at this property next month so if my stay is before yours i could help you out with whatever questions you have....

Originally Posted by piyush
The Four Points Sheraton at Vashi might be a good option for you too. It's on the way to the Expressway from Mumbai. It should take no more than 30 minutes to hit the Expressway from the 4 points.

The Westin is a much better property though.
i agree on both counts....
Old Mar 14, 2010, 11:40 am

Thumbs up The New Westin Mumbai - A grande experience!

Folks,

Writing from the 19th floor of the Westin in Mumbai -- over looking the Western Express Highway -- the lighted expressway looks great with vehicles traveling 24x7 - Mumbai is a city that never sleeps.

My first stay here at the Westin and its GRANDE.

I usually spend ~10 nights in Mumbai a year and stay at the ITC Maratha Sheraton -- which is good, however my last stay there wasn't an experience to remember -- the front desk was arrogant and unattentive -- refused to let me utilize the SPG Gold/Plat line to check-in even though I showed my card --and somebody a clerk was seated twiddling his thumbs -- overall quite opposite to what I had experienced in my previous stays. I would have generaly dismissed it but the behavior continued throughout the stay and my colleagues also noticed the same. So I was looking to switch any ways.

Anyways, back to the Westin -- The Westin is off the expressway and about 30-45 minutes from the international airport.

Floors 5-17 have offices to which there is a separate entrance. Floors 18-38 is the hotel. The restaurants are on 18 and rooms start from 19.

They tell me I have a deluxe room -- if so, they have reinvented deluxe. The room is spacious with a great bed, a huge flat screen TV, a desk and a cozy little sitting place (L-shaped bench) from which you can view the city.

The bathroom is huge and has a tub and a shower cubicle. Also has a closet space and a safe. Standard Bar etc. I love the design and ambience of the room of the very much. Per the checkin clerk - only deluxe rooms are open, the executive club and suites are being worked on.

The spa is still not operational so can't comment on that. But the staff is warm friendly and extremely helpful. The conceirge assisted with my flight reservations.

The lobby level has a fancy Italian restaurant - Prego :0
The fitness center is amazing, the treadmills and other machines have an iPod connecter and a largest in-built TV that I have yet seen on treadmills. The gym also has 5 flat screen TVs on the walls. I met the general manager and he helped me with re-positioning a treadmill so I could watch cricket on the flat screen.

I have stayed at the Grand Hyatt, ITC Sheraton and Taj in Mumbai -- I would rate this hotel above those esp. if you are here on business which is located near the Andheri/Powai/Seepz area.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions
Old Mar 16, 2010, 4:45 am

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
Thanks for the report. I will be staying there early July and will report back as well..
Old Mar 16, 2010, 7:27 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I'll be staying at this hotel tomorrow. (Grand Hyatt and LeM are full; ITC too expensive). I'm pretty excited!

EDIT: Ok, now I'm confused. Google Maps is telling me that this property is near the Powai Lake where the Renaissance is located. I called the property and the woman confirmed this. But I'm looking at SPG.com and it seems that it is nowhere near this location and very far from Navi Mumbai. Also the poster above speaks of watching traffic on the Western Expressway. If that is the case and it is much further northwest than I thought it would seem that it will take me like an hour and a half to get to Navi Mumbai. In this case I'll need to cancel and try to get them to waive the cancellation fee.

EDIT EDIT: Took two calls and getting finally to a Plat agent but all resolved. ^ I'm disappointed that I won't be staying at this property... yet. But at least it was resolved efficiently once I go to the right person. She was really good in that she tried first to find another property for me before she contacted this property to ask them to process the cancellation without a penalty.

Last edited by yosithezet; Mar 16, 2010 at 11:11 am
Old May 3, 2010, 8:20 pm

I staying here now. Also looking for alternates to the airport Sheraton and Meridien

Although I like the decor I have encountered problems

The a/c in the room is very weak. Basically non existant at check in. Maintenance was sent in and made it slightly better but still, in Mumbai you need some decent cooling

I awake in the middle of the night sweating. I was offered to move to another room, but explained to them that I would like them to prepare (and cool) another room and I would switch first thing in the morning.

At 7am I call to switch. They have not prepped a room. The room they show me to is just as warms as the one I have left.

It's worth pointing out that the common areas are unusually warm too. I suspect they have a general cooling problem here.

As of now, the problem is unresolved and I am looking to find another place for tonight
Old Sep 8, 2010, 3:13 am

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
At the middle of a four nights stay at this new property and I only have good things to say so far. Was upgraded to an executive corner suite. Room is huge and nicely decorated. Bathroom is bigger than 90 % of New York city appartments. Superb view of the nearby forest, rare in Mumbai Nice breakfast room and breakfast buffet. very nice property
Old Sep 9, 2010, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by couscous
Bathroom is bigger than 90 % of New York city appartments.
so true....
Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:14 am

Fabulous!

Hi There,
I just stayed at the Mumbai Westin last weekend. What a terrific stay?

I am an SPG Platinum and they took really good care of me. I arrived in the lobby and they said that they wanted me to go to the 1st floor. I show up there and receive me with a nice cold drink and got me to relax in the couch. The guy took my passport and all the good stuff, completed the registration in 10 minutes and came over. I surfed the web in this lounge - which by the way has to be one of the largest club lounges in the world. I am not kidding. Back to the lounge later.

So then the guy gives my room key. I think I was on the 20th floor. I got upgraded to a fantastic suite. Which again is one of the largest suite I have stayed in my life. Bear in mind, I am a 10 year Platinum member and I have seen my share of suites. Anyway, I go to the room, kick it and I get another welcome call there to see if everything is good. The bed is massive - cal King i think.

Later I came down to the lounge again for the pM cocktails and had a few drinks, which were awesome.

Breakfast next day was terrific again in the lounge. They took really good care of me and the car came to pick me up for sightseeing.

The one thing i will tell you is that the airport transportation from the hotel is very pricey. Its about 1800INR. Thats a lot given you can take a Blue Cool Cab from the aiport for like 300INR.

Amazing hotel...little odd location if you dont have work in that side of town. Good service and hospitality!

UALFLYER1
Old Oct 11, 2010, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UALFLYER1
The one thing i will tell you is that the airport transportation from the hotel is very pricey. Its about 1800INR. Thats a lot given you can take a Blue Cool Cab from the aiport for like 300INR.
seems like you had a great stay....

in india its always very expensive to ask the hotel to send a car to the airport....if you don't like taking a cool cab, there are a number of authorised taxi companies that you can find at arrivals....they will drop you to the hotel for about 1/4th the price the hotel charges....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.