Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Barcelona, Spain [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2013, 9:24 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by whimike
All I asked was what was meant by "SINGLE". In the US we have beddings types of TWIN, FULL, QUEEN, and KING, so I was wanting clarification on what "SINGLE" meant.
And I was answering your question, positively. Like I mentioned before, on SPG.com, whatever they advertise as the type of bedding usually is that type of bedding. This is so that if anyone decided to look up what the bedding types meant on SPG.com, they would be able to find it here.

Last edited by yosithezet; Jan 14, 2013 at 1:43 am Reason: Removed unecessary comments and quoted personal attack vibe
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I notice that both the LM and W have at best "2 SINGLE" beds. What do most people do that have young kids? I have a 7 and 4 year old, and it isn't practical to put them in their own room yet.
As great as this property is, I don't think this W is exactly appropriate for a 7 and 4 year old. The pool is more of a party scene with a DJ and bar... no water slide here. Add in that you are a little more than worried about bedding and my concern is that you'd be disappointed by things like that just not being as important in Spain. Again, wonderful hotel, but do yourself and other guests a favor and consider the kids.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 7:58 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
As great as this property is, I don't think this W is exactly appropriate for a 7 and 4 year old. The pool is more of a party scene with a DJ and bar... no water slide here. Add in that you are a little more than worried about bedding and my concern is that you'd be disappointed by things like that just not being as important in Spain. Again, wonderful hotel, but do yourself and other guests a favor and consider the kids.
Hmmm... Is this a primarily adult hotel, where kids are shunned? I stayed here about a year ago and there seemed to be plenty of kids there However, It isn't my plan to stay at the hotel all-day for the kids to play at the hotel. I noticed the Le Meridien also has these SINGLE beds.

I am not overly worried about the bedding, just trying to get information. If things like this aren't important in Spain then what do European families of 4 do? Get 2 rooms and have one child/parent per room, as was mentioned?

Last edited by whimike; Jan 13, 2013 at 8:16 pm
Old Jan 13, 2013, 8:07 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I have visited the property on several occasions, and if anything the number of families is growing. During Circuit Barcelona (gay dance party season) last August the demographic was certainly more families with children than gay couples.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by m0hamed
I have visited the property on several occasions, and if anything the number of families is growing. During Circuit Barcelona (gay dance party season) last August the demographic was certainly more families with children than gay couples.
It's that mix (add in all the club goers at Eclipse and the music events) that makes the W Barcelona great. ^

Last edited by yosithezet; Jan 14, 2013 at 1:45 am Reason: Removed comment on fellow posters emotional state.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 9:09 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
It's that mix (add in all the club goers at Eclipse and the music events) that makes the W Barcelona great. ^
+1.

Like any travel experience, it's what you make it!
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:00 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
I disagree. I have stayed here only twice, but both times in the summer, the pool had many young children in it. They looked like they were enjoying themselves. As well I would say that this would be a better hotel then the LM or many other Barcelona hotels because of its beach location. If the 4 and 7 year old were tired of the pool the beach is great and the waves are small because of the breakwater and the bay.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:02 pm

Hmmm... Is this a primarily adult hotel, where kids are shunned? I stayed here about a year ago and there seemed to be plenty of kids there However, It isn't my plan to stay at the hotel all-day for the kids to play at the hotel. I noticed the Le Meridien also has these SINGLE beds.

I am not overly worried about the bedding, just trying to get information. If things like this aren't important in Spain then what do European families of 4 do? Get 2 rooms and have one child/parent per room, as was mentioned?
Yup, or connecting rooms, as I usually do. Won't say kids are shunned explicitly but they are targeting the young adult crowd. I was there last June and I loved it, I highly recommend the hotel regardless of whether you have kids.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 1:51 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Moderator Note

Folks,
I have deleted and edited several posts where people were getting too personal rather than discussing specific issues. Please remember to stay on topic and discuss specific issues and not the emotional state of other posters and posts which have been deleted by moderators for being too personal.

Thank you for your cooperation.
yosithezet
Co-Moderator, SPG Forum
Old Jan 15, 2013, 4:08 am

All I asked was what was meant by "SINGLE". In the US we have beddings types of TWIN, FULL, QUEEN, and KING, so I was wanting clarification on what "SINGLE" meant.
Unless I missed it, I don't see anyone actually answering this.

I can't answer for the W specifically, but in Europe you generally get either Double or Twin.
* Double can be a Queen or King bed. (Normally the detail is mentioned.)
* Twin is 2 single beds, each bed being less than 1 meter wide. (In some case they can be 2 Queens, but I would expect that to be mentioned explicitly.)
Old Jan 18, 2013, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Our family will be visiting Barcelona for three nights. We have a 17 year old son and 15 year old daughter. My teenage son loves the W hotel, we recently stayed at the W in Austin. FYI: As a Platinum, I did not receive an upgrade but with the bellmen's help, I was able to pay for a two bedroom suite for less then the cost of a second room. So I was happy. In general, it seems like W's are very stingy with upgrades.

Regarding our stay, it looks like the W is farther away from everything where as the LM is right in Las Ramblas. Since we'll only be there for three nights with two full days, I'm leaning towards the LM. (Plus my wife loves Illy coffee)

Thoughts?
Old Jan 18, 2013, 5:46 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by EXPLAT
Our family will be visiting Barcelona for three nights. We have a 17 year old son and 15 year old daughter. My teenage son loves the W hotel, we recently stayed at the W in Austin. FYI: As a Platinum, I did not receive an upgrade but with the bellmen's help, I was able to pay for a two bedroom suite for less then the cost of a second room. So I was happy. In general, it seems like W's are very stingy with upgrades.

Regarding our stay, it looks like the W is farther away from everything where as the LM is right in Las Ramblas. Since we'll only be there for three nights with two full days, I'm leaning towards the LM. (Plus my wife loves Illy coffee)

Thoughts?
if you want to see and walk around barcelona, LM is the way to go. in the middle of las ramblas - and the W is not only a hike, but not by any real public transit... just my 2 cents
Old Jan 18, 2013, 9:29 pm

W Barcelona, Spain [Master Thread]

it'll cost 4 euros one way by taxi and about 5 minutes to get from the W to La Ramblas so up to you to decide if that's acceptable.. I found it ok given the abundance of cabs waiting outside the hotel.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
How about getting back to the hotel?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 3:55 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Elite KLM Flying Blue,
Originally Posted by EXPLAT
How about getting back to the hotel?
Even a cheaper solution: take bus 17, it stops at the large Busstop near the Rockcafe @ Plaza Cataluna, near the Airportbus. And it takes 10 min-15 min. The bus stopt right in front of the Whotel. Its very easy. You can take the same bus if planning to go to plz. Cataluna, stop at Uriquiana and its 2 min. to walk to plz Cataluna.
But if you do not like the comfy bus, many taxi's at plaza Cataluna. I have paid around 10 euros for a taxiride to the hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.