Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I had to laugh... why I hate room service.

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2009, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

I had to laugh... why I hate room service.

W New Orleans

$20 Pan Roasted Salmon Entree + $3 delivery + 19% service + 9.75% tax = ~$30.

I guess a wedge of lemon or some other garnish would have ate into their profit margin too much.

To be fair it did also come with a small dinner roll and some butter, plus I did have a couple other things (baked potato $5, and braised short ribs $18) which brought the total to ~$59.

Old May 12, 2009, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
The Minimalism of the W brand, carried to its logical conclusion....
Old May 12, 2009, 8:21 pm

Programs: legions, foreign and domestic
Yes, but you got free plate rental.

Seriously, I'd be embarrassed if I was a food manager and someone paid $30 for that. Or $20. Or $10.
Old May 12, 2009, 8:27 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
One to add to this (didn't order it for obvious reasons) is at the W New York - Union Square. Simple salad starts at $25. Want chicken on top of that? Add another $17. Then there is the mandatory $5 delivery charge, 20% gratuity, and 8.375% sales tax, bringing your grand total to around $60 for a chicken caesar salad!
Old May 12, 2009, 8:28 pm

I'm really not surprised. They should be embarrassed. I laugh every time I read a room service menu.
Old May 12, 2009, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
exaggeration

Obviously, the price doesn't include the side dishes. Once you add the baked potatoes and whatever on the sides, then it becomes a full meal. A salmon with side dishes at any upscale hotel will run you $30+gratuity+delivery+service.

In contrast, here's my recent room service picture a W Minneapolis:

Perfectly cooked filet mignon with truffle oil infused hash and pancetta snow peas. Absolutely delicious. ($38)

The tuna tar tar on the side was equally yummy ($14)
Old May 12, 2009, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

I'm not so dissatisfied with the price as the presentation, since I'm not really paying for it anyways. You would think at a design conscious brand, they would pay attention to such things. Really it wouldn't kill them to add some garnish. I did order a side potato, but it was served on a separate plate. They could have combined it onto one and it would have looked a little less shocking.

The braised short ribs were pretty tasty. A 330ml bottle of Voss water would have been another ~$4.
Old May 12, 2009, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
exaggeration

Obviously, the price doesn't include the side dishes. Once you add the baked potatoes and whatever on the sides, then it becomes a full meal. A salmon with side dishes at any upscale hotel will run you $30+gratuity+delivery+service.

In contrast, here's my recent room service picture a W Minneapolis:

Perfectly cooked filet mignon with truffle oil infused hash and pancetta snow peas. Absolutely delicious. ($38)

The tuna tar tar on the side was equally yummy ($14)
Am I the only one who thinks $60+ for a room service meal is horribly overpriced?
Old May 12, 2009, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichMSN
Am I the only one who thinks $60+ for a room service meal is horribly overpriced?
Nope, and it's definitely brand-damaging: just look at the thread title!

I've learned to scout the area around hotels on Zagat or Google Maps for restaurants or take outs before leaving on a trip. The food is usually better, and the bill--integrity dictates that whether I pay for it or charge it through doesn't make a difference--is more honest.
Old May 12, 2009, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by inyourvillages
Yes, but you got free plate rental.

Seriously, I'd be embarrassed if I was a food manager and someone paid $30 for that. Or $20. Or $10.
Indeed.

Send that picture to the F&B manager, general manager, and Starwood corporate. It's really appalling; you could get nicer presentation at Denny's.
Old May 13, 2009, 12:57 am

What a joke. I would have sent it back.

Certainly posting it here is brand damaging so at least you get that satisfaction.
Old May 13, 2009, 2:13 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
O T

I read this article in the NYT last week. Here's a quote:

“Hotels have always tried to make money with room service, but they never could,” said Joseph McInerney, president and chief executive of American Hotel and Lodging Association, a trade group.

Can this really be true?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/05/bu...Service&st=cse
Old May 13, 2009, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by hillrider
Nope, and it's definitely brand-damaging: just look at the thread title!

I've learned to scout the area around hotels on Zagat or Google Maps for restaurants or take outs before leaving on a trip. The food is usually better, and the bill--integrity dictates that whether I pay for it or charge it through doesn't make a difference--is more honest.
I've used room service in the past. Sometimes I'm wiped out from the day's events and just don't feel like going out. But I've had food delivered from outside if I see the cheapest option on a RS menu is $30+. Normally there's a sandwich on there that brings the total to under $20. I can get a soda at the club, normally, for free.

Hey, if it 's my money, fine (although I'd rather pay $5 at Subway than have that salmon), but if I'm traveling on business and expensing my meals, I just wouldn't feel right putting it on my expense account even though my boss probably wouldn't blink an eye.
Old May 13, 2009, 7:45 am

Programs: United GS, Starwood Platinum
eating in the room generally doesnt work for me, cost, lingering smell, no real comforatable seat to eat and watch tv

with all the options on the internet to research and try good local places i try to do that
Old May 13, 2009, 8:02 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Tummy
I'm not so dissatisfied with the price as the presentation ...
But you're missing the subtleties in the presentation. Notice how the salmon is slightly off to the side of the plate rather than in the center? You have an asymmetrical balance of two unequal parts creating a visual unity of all working together as one. I have little doubt it took much effort to achieve this result. Consider it like some modern art ...you have to stare at it a while to really get it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.