Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I had to laugh... why I hate room service.

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2009, 8:15 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
Goodness me, I work for the wrong employer. What you all blow on one room service meal far exceeds my daily meal allowance. I would hate to have to dream up some justification for that kind of expense to my boss. I don't think I could do it with a straight face.
Old May 13, 2009, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bpauker
Goodness me, I work for the wrong employer.
I'm the owner of my company.
Old May 13, 2009, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Tummy
I'm the owner of my company.
Do you have employees? If so, is a $60 room service charge OK for them to expense? If so, are you hiring?
Old May 13, 2009, 9:14 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Sometimes you have to opt for the golden arches. You may have to walk a block or two, but you will always walk away well under $10.
Old May 13, 2009, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichMSN
Do you have employees? If so, is a $60 room service charge OK for them to expense? If so, are you hiring?
I honestly didn't think a $60 dinner is outrageous if it were good. I also don't see the problem if the overall expenses are kept under budget and productivity stays up.
Old May 13, 2009, 9:43 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
The FOUR POINTS Calgary West charges a 6 dollar delivery anda 18% gratuity. Plus 5% tax.

I ordered a 16 dollar burger. $27.25 total. Like you guys have said, I dont pay for it, but i feel guilty making my employer pay for it. Id rather go to a restaurant. So I do normally. But in this case I didnt have time - which is exactly what room service is for, and why it is priced accordingly.
Old May 13, 2009, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by bulldoggolfer05
One to add to this (didn't order it for obvious reasons) is at the W New York - Union Square. Simple salad starts at $25. Want chicken on top of that? Add another $17. Then there is the mandatory $5 delivery charge, 20% gratuity, and 8.375% sales tax, bringing your grand total to around $60 for a chicken caesar salad!
Next time you're there, or at any other hotel in NYC, check out seamlessweb.com

I live a few blocks away from the W Union Square, you'll have a selection of about 200 restaurants with no delivery fees. I'd imagine you can get the same chicken caesar salad for about $15, although you'd have to do without china and settle for plastic flatware.
Old May 13, 2009, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by francophile
I read this article in the NYT last week. Here's a quote:

“Hotels have always tried to make money with room service, but they never could,” said Joseph McInerney, president and chief executive of American Hotel and Lodging Association, a trade group.

Can this really be true?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/05/bu...Service&st=cse
Yup. You're essentially paying a lot of fixed costs for only a short window of sales.

Mike
Old May 13, 2009, 10:38 am

Question Room service - gratuity +/- tipping...???

So room service charges include delivery charge AND gratuity......... but the slip you get to sign always includes an additional line for "tip" (or words to that effect).

So what do you guys do? Add a tip (if so how much?)......... or not?
Old May 13, 2009, 10:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC E, *G x2, BMI Silver, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
exaggeration

Obviously, the price doesn't include the side dishes. Once you add the baked potatoes and whatever on the sides, then it becomes a full meal. A salmon with side dishes at any upscale hotel will run you $30+gratuity+delivery+service.

In contrast, here's my recent room service picture a W Minneapolis:

Perfectly cooked filet mignon with truffle oil infused hash and pancetta snow peas. Absolutely delicious. ($38)

The tuna tar tar on the side was equally yummy ($14)
How much was the VOSS?
Old May 13, 2009, 10:47 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

were you going to eat the garnish?

no logic in sending it back, since they gave you what you ordered.
Old May 13, 2009, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by izzik
were you going to eat the garnish?

no logic in sending it back, since they gave you what you ordered.
My eyes eat the garnish. Taste is only one aspect of a quality meal. I never said I sent it back.
Old May 13, 2009, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
No professional chef would ever send out a plate looking like that. Period.
Old May 13, 2009, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Elvira
So room service charges include delivery charge AND gratuity......... but the slip you get to sign always includes an additional line for "tip" (or words to that effect).

So what do you guys do? Add a tip (if so how much?)......... or not?
In this case, they had a $3 delivery charge plus 19% gratuity plus tax. I usually give a ~20% gratuity in the US, so in this case I didn't add anything extra. That tip line is annoying.
Old May 13, 2009, 11:08 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by blort
Next time you're there, or at any other hotel in NYC, check out seamlessweb.com

I live a few blocks away from the W Union Square, you'll have a selection of about 200 restaurants with no delivery fees. I'd imagine you can get the same chicken caesar salad for about $15, although you'd have to do without china and settle for plastic flatware.
This is a good idea I hadn't thought about before. My son is at a dorm in Cambridge and orders most of his food from one of several Boston-area restaurants through a service like this one. Price is reasonable - especially compared to room service charges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.