Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Hong Kong Hotel & Towers - [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2015, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
As of June 2023, evening service is in the 2nd floor Lobby Lounge, and breakfast is served in The Cafe - main hotel restaurant - for all Plat+ Elite guests.
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Hong Kong Hotel & Towers - [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2012, 10:04 am
war

Programs: united lifetime gold aa ex plat starwood plat
good point, i move to the tower tomorrow!!!
Old May 22, 2012, 11:25 am

On the plus side, you could get Happy Hour at Morton's for their free steak. ^ Not to mention the Mortini's are a good deal. $55-60, I can't remember exactly.

As a side note I hope everyone staying here is getting the free gold status if they don't already have it. Easy get for us Asia travelers.

Originally Posted by Braindrain
I do have to agree the food in the lounge is bad. "so-so" is being very generous.
Old May 26, 2012, 9:49 pm

Towers great stay - 10% question

Never been quite sure about the 10% service charge. Any current thoughts about tipping practice at this hotel over and above the 10% ? It seems to cover a whole host of items that arent service - real estate, taxes, construction costs.

Thoughts ? TIA.
Old May 26, 2012, 11:23 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by idainc
Never been quite sure about the 10% service charge. Any current thoughts about tipping practice at this hotel over and above the 10% ? It seems to cover a whole host of items that arent service - real estate, taxes, construction costs.

Thoughts ? TIA.
imho this is hong kong and they are happy with the agreed on service charge. Not sure what you mean about all the other "items". In the old days there was also the taxes but Hong Kong did away with them a number of years ago.
Old May 27, 2012, 4:27 am

I meant that we're paying 10% on the sum total of the hotel charge ony a portion of which consists of labor.
Old May 27, 2012, 12:52 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Tipping is not expected in HK.
Old May 27, 2012, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL Plt, SW A+, SPG Plt, HH Silver, Marriott Gold,
I can say that I have tipped at this hotel. But not for the normal stuff you would in the US. I have had some seriously exceptional service here, and two or three people have really stood out. These are the people I have tipped. It was in recognition of exceptional service.

I wish that we could take staff from US hotels and have them spend a week or two in these hotels, it would really show them how service should be.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 10:15 am

I did an online booking request for the Sheraton HK this morning (dates 1/22/13 - 1/26/13), and am getting some weird rates listed. Prepaid 'Upgrade Offer' rates are anywhere from 50% to nearly 100% higher than the no deposit required 'Flexible rate' for the same room (in fact, ALL the prepaid rates are much higher, even without an upgrade offer). There's no indication of what the 'upgrade' is for the rooms with this rate. Is the upgrade for anything useful, or simply a rate loading error?

I've tried searching for an answer on the Starwood site, hotel page, and in this thread, but here the results are too filled with people talking about Plat upgrades for anything meaningful, and the hotel-sponsored sites don't mention anything about what would be upgraded.

If you know anything about this, I'd appreciate any info. I'd like to be armed with a bit of knowledge before calling to ask about SPG50 rates in effect then, too.

Thanks very much.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 1:52 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by AeroWesty
I did an online booking request for the Sheraton HK this morning (dates 1/22/13 - 1/26/13), and am getting some weird rates listed. Prepaid 'Upgrade Offer' rates are anywhere from 50% to nearly 100% higher than the no deposit required 'Flexible rate' for the same room (in fact, ALL the prepaid rates are much higher, even without an upgrade offer). There's no indication of what the 'upgrade' is for the rooms with this rate. Is the upgrade for anything useful, or simply a rate loading error?

I've tried searching for an answer on the Starwood site, hotel page, and in this thread, but here the results are too filled with people talking about Plat upgrades for anything meaningful, and the hotel-sponsored sites don't mention anything about what would be upgraded.

If you know anything about this, I'd appreciate any info. I'd like to be armed with a bit of knowledge before calling to ask about SPG50 rates in effect then, too.

Thanks very much.
My experience over time has been this hotel doesn't load Set rates and promotional type rates for the following year until very close to the end of the year. If it were me and you wanted to lock in a low rate use an spg50 and hold it and then watch the rates as you get closer in. An spg50 should get you around 2000 hkds. The upgrades they usually sell are to a Harbour view room, executive suite city view or to the towers. All are real upgrades. If you are a plat you will generally get one of the first two automatically. These days 2000hkds is pretty good for that hotel.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 2:39 pm

Oh, great advice, thank you. I will follow your recommendations and wait until later in the year to ask about upgrade offers for us non-Plats.

The strategy I was thinking of was to book the least expensive suite rate, then see what type of cash or points upgrades would be possible by communicating with the hotel directly once the reservation is set.

I'd rather be in the Towers, so that looks like the Tower Executive Suite at the moment, 4,700HKD/night flex, 7,500HKD 'Upgrade Offer' rate. If I can get that down closer to 2,000-2,500HKD with an SPG50, I'd be extremely happy with it.

Even though the Towers is run as a separate entity, your post indicates one of the offers could be for an upgrade to the Towers. Would it be best to book the non-Towers rate initially vs. the Tower rate?

What I'd like to end up with is a Towers Suite, King bed, Harbour View (and a pony). I'm thinking with the SPG50 and a good upgrade offer, that should be doable for under 15,000HKD total for all four nights.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 7:00 pm
abk

Originally Posted by AeroWesty
Oh, great advice, thank you. I will follow your recommendations and wait until later in the year to ask about upgrade offers for us non-Plats.

The strategy I was thinking of was to book the least expensive suite rate, then see what type of cash or points upgrades would be possible by communicating with the hotel directly once the reservation is set.

I'd rather be in the Towers, so that looks like the Tower Executive Suite at the moment, 4,700HKD/night flex, 7,500HKD 'Upgrade Offer' rate. If I can get that down closer to 2,000-2,500HKD with an SPG50, I'd be extremely happy with it.

Even though the Towers is run as a separate entity, your post indicates one of the offers could be for an upgrade to the Towers. Would it be best to book the non-Towers rate initially vs. the Tower rate?

What I'd like to end up with is a Towers Suite, King bed, Harbour View (and a pony). I'm thinking with the SPG50 and a good upgrade offer, that should be doable for under 15,000HKD total for all four nights.
Slow night here so I looked at December 4 to 8 to see what they offered. You could book a Towers Harbour view suite for 3950 hkd which is very close to your target. I have spent a lot of time in this hotel and they have only once upgraded me to a full harbour view suite once and it is wonderful. In the Towers you can have breakfast either in the Sky lounge or have room service in your room for free. Room service in the harbour view suite was very nice.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by abk
Slow night here so I looked at December 4 to 8 to see what they offered. You could book a Towers Harbour view suite for 3950 hkd which is very close to your target.
Thanks once again for your help. Glad to see what I want isn't out of the realm of possibility. I'm under no delusions about receiving any upgrades for free—I'm perfectly willing to pay in whatever means necessary for the room I'd like, and view utilizing *wood points as a way to attain it for a reasonable price.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 11:36 am
jk2

For my first visit to HK (for workshop), I'm deciding between Sheraton, Hyatt Regency TST and IC Grand Stanford. Hyatt TST is cheaper (1575 hkds - gov. rate with club access + I have a suite upgrade from my Hyatt Visa), while rate at Sheraton is ~2040hkg (Tower room with breakfast and evening coctails), IC rates 2050 with breakfast, and 2400 - club rate. As I understand, all these hotels are located in the same area. If choosing Sheraton, what is 'Upgrade offer' rate for Tower room? The standard 'Tower room' is 100 hkds cheaper and from rate explanation it is not clear what is included in addition in "Upgrade offer" rate.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 7:27 am

Programs: DL Plt, SW A+, SPG Plt, HH Silver, Marriott Gold,
A couple of things to remember or at least look at.
1: They all add a 10% service charge to your rate.
2: Location, Location, Location: Sheraton is overlooking Victoria Harbor, Hyatt is back a few blocks, and I am not sure where your 3rd choice is located.
You are definitely paying for a view but it's a dam fine view .
The lounge at both the Hyatt and Sheraton is really nice. But again there is the view.
The Sheraton basically puts out a dinner spread, different every night and it's as much as you can eat and drink.
Here is another little secret, on the 4th floor is Morton's Steak House. They have free Filet Mignon steak sandwiches from 5pm to 7pm Monday - Friday night. The guys at the bar are great and if you tip them they will bring you as many plates as you can eat.
At the Sheraton it includes breakfast which can be had up on the top floor (only for Towers guests), the full buffet downstairs, or even room service. I would try both upstairs and the buffet is really good. Dinner in the buffet is stupid expensive but the breakfast is just as good and free, charge it to your room and the Towers desk removes the charge.
Lats but not least look for internet charges, they can add up. It is free in the towers.

As for the upgrade offer, generally it is to a larger Harbor view room. Basically its about 10 feet deeper, a little wider, a bigger bathroom, and some stretching room. But usually not a suite unless you are Platinum. Actually I like the upgraded harbor view rooms better as the suites generally do not face the water.

Hope this helps a little. BTW there are several great Irish pubs in TST too. Check out Delany's or Murphy's for a great time. Delaney's has great food for a reasonable price.
Have fun.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 7:35 am

Was there 2 weeks ago in the Towers. All that is true - but we chose to eat in the Hyatt at the Chinese Restaurant.

I found the Celestial Court tends to ignore smaller parties and the food was so so. Sat there virtually ignored on Mothers Day and we went to the Chinese Restaurant in the Hyatt and got great treatment - and a prompt dinner. Cant speak for the rooms in the Hyatt but I'm sure they're great

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.