Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Universal, Los Angeles area [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Universal, Los Angeles area [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2004, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Sheraton Universal, Los Angeles area [Master Thread]

I am using *wood points for a 2night stay in June. I found on the website that there is a "Universal City Package" for $225 that has 2 free adult tickets to Universal Studios.

Can I upgrade (thru points or $) for this package? thx.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 12:08 pm

Sheraton Universal - LA - trip report

Apologies if a thread has been started on this property however I couldn’t find anything specific.

The Sheraton Universal LA has one excellent thing going for it – a subway stop one block down the hill which will transport you to downtown LA and to the Convention Center within 30 minutes. If the Westin is booked and your event is at the Staples Center this property may be right for you. Beyond convention business – I would never stay at this property again. My four biggest complaints:

1.) Operations

As it is a package tourist hotel expect to see busloads of people wandering in with hotel vouchers. I certainly expected to see this –however- what I didn’t expect was the lack of front desk staff as the line for checking in and out was 15-25 minutes with no priority given to golds or plats. The reason for the delays beyond lack of staff are obvious - front desk folks do more than register guests as the manager has them doing 100% concierge duties including booking amusement rides, dinner reservations and setting up limos. The concierge does have a wonderful glassed enclosed office in the lobby area however he/she was invisible my entire stay over 3 days.

2.) Bell Staff

Discourteous, poorly organized and slow. In my opinion, preoccupied with other ventures and opportunities.

3.) Poolside rooms

Rooms facing the pool need a massive upgrade, the carpet in hallway/elevator is worn, bathrooms very worn and the beds have not been upgraded.

4.) Coffee !!!

I admit not a priority for some people, but the ability to get a cup of Starbucks, Seattle’s Best or any fresh brewed non-restaurant java in the morning is critical The coffee provided in the rooms tastes like pencil shavings (at best) and the restaurant coffee was luke warm dish water.

Perhaps converting the 1980’s swingers bar in the lobby ( classic cheesy ferns and rubber trees ) to a Starbucks might be a good idea as the nearest coffee shop is in the amusement park 5 blocks up a hill or via a 10 minute bus ride. I've seen a couple of Sheratons and Westins do this - a great idea and a money maker for the hotel's F&B.

Overall, for one or two nights with business downtown or along the Metro Redline the property is bearable. For professional travelers doing a long haul stay, or a vacation property I would pass on this hotel !

Last edited by xmradioguy; Aug 19, 2004 at 12:12 pm
Old Aug 19, 2004, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
A fair assessment of this hotel.

I frequently visit Universal in the building next door as well as clients in Century City, West Hollywood and Burbank and the Sheraton Universal is right in the middle of all these places and a convenient place to base myself - and is the most central *wood to all of the aforementioned locations.

I haven't had the experiences you've had with the bellman/valet, but as you said, the majority of the people staying are package tourists, so the valet/bellmen remember a guest like myself who stays a week at a time multiple times and I usually get fast service from them.

That said, the front desk is always busy and the check-ins for the people in front of me always seemed to take longer than they should.

I can ditto your comments about the non-existent concierge staff - there is indeed a nice glassed-in office that was always empty.

On the upside, I've never had a problem getting a room upgrade nor had a problem with Platinum recognition, which is a great plus considering mine and others' experiences with other LA-area *wood hotels - especially the Century City and LAX Westins.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 10:57 pm

"The building next door : ) " - I was wondering if the two buildings/ are connected as it would make the walking to the Metro lighting fast ?

BTW I had meetings in Century City and stayed at the St Regis my second third nights. I loved Century City ! and the St Regis - a fantastic property and great area.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 11:26 pm

The Hilton next door is much nicer.

-David
Old Aug 20, 2004, 12:41 am

Programs: Little of this, a little of that,..
I stay here every so often when other *woods are booked. I must agree with the comments about the coffee. The maxwell house single serving packets MUST go!

I did get VIP check in, MUCH to the dismay of a huge line of tourists! I almost felt bad about it, but traveling so much has hardened me from the masses of tourists everywhere I go. I have never recieved a room upgrade here as a Platinum. But, I must say, check out whats going on in the hotel as the last time I was there, a sex toy convention was going on. Very interesting.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 6:54 am

Programs: AA PlatPro, UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by xmradioguy
"The building next door : ) " - I was wondering if the two buildings/ are connected as it would make the walking to the Metro lighting fast ?
They are connected - via the Universal building's parking garage.

If you exit out the back of the hotel, through one of the doors down the escalator opposite the gift shop, turn to your right when you walk outside and keep the building to your right. Continue straight down the sidewalk and you'll see a closed vehicle gate to your left that connects to the Universal building parking garage.

The vehicle gate is closed, but the pedestrian gate is open - walk through the gate and you'll be on the roof of the Universal building's parking garage - it looks like the top of the garage is a New Car Showroom's overflow parking area.

Take the elevator down and voila. This can shave a good 5 minutes off your walk.
Old Sep 1, 2004, 2:25 am

Programs: AA Airpass, UA 1P, SPG Plat
As gnedge mentioned, look for all of the Nissans parked on the roof level. I believe it's overflow for the Universal City Nissan across the street. And there's pretty decent coffee at the little mart by the big Universal building (10 UCP) I think everyone's referring to. I myself would still drive to Coffee Bean though.
Old Sep 1, 2004, 7:00 pm

Programs: CO Plat - AW Plat - AA Gold - SPG Plat - HH Gold - HY Gold - WBR - Alpha Phi Omega - GO CANES!
I have commented on this hotel before. My personal opinion is that the Sheraton Universal is among the worst Starwood holdings. I just plain gave up and either go for the Westin LAX or the Sheraton LAX - and the Westin LAX is no picnic either. From what I have seen and what other people have said on here, the Sheraton LAX is better than the Westin LAX. Also the Westin downtown is pretty good - but they don't have a lounge. I can't help it - I'm hooked on those Heavenly Beds.

In any case, if you have to be at Universal, the Hilton is WAY better and WAY better managed.

I don't know why Starwood doesn't send in a quality control person - actually several people - to see what we go through at the Sheraton Universal. Like stage a platinum, gold, and nonstatus, and see what they have to deal with.

The thing that sucks the most about the Sheraton Universal is that it is the ONLY Starwood in the Valley. The Valley is crawling with Hiltons and Marriotts, but if you want to run the starpoints you need to deal with the headaches.
Old Sep 1, 2004, 8:18 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
I simply dont understand this property. I am had many stays at the Hilton next door but decided to try to pad my Startwood points and thought I would treat myself to the Sheraton (it is normally more expensive so I thought it would be nicer) but man I was surprised.

It really is too bad because I am staying at the Hilton again this weekend but would be staying at the Sheraton if it was even close to decent.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 7:52 pm

Sheraton Universal Studios (LAX)

We are considering this hotel. Has anyone stayed there? The location sounds good but are the rooms, lobby, restaurants, amenities nice? People on Epinions say it looks outdated, is that true? We are not Starwood PG members but Aeroplan miles can be collected here I believe.

Thanks
Old Feb 13, 2005, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by fromYYZ_flyer
We are considering this hotel. Has anyone stayed there? The location sounds good but are the rooms, lobby, restaurants, amenities nice? People on Epinions say it looks outdated, is that true? We are not Starwood PG members but Aeroplan miles can be collected here I believe.

Thanks
The location is the only plus of that property. The facility is 'tired'. Amenities are bland and unpressive at best. Stay there only if the main purpose of your trip is Universal Studios and you insist on being as close to it as possible.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 8:04 am

Programs: CO Plat - AW Plat - AA Gold - SPG Plat - HH Gold - HY Gold - WBR - Alpha Phi Omega - GO CANES!
The Hilton next door is WAY better. The rooms are nicer, the staff is much better, and the price is lower. There are some GREAT Starwoods in LA. The Universal is among the worst in the brand, and is the only Starwood in the Valley. Apparantly they don't need to change, because they're packed every night. But I find myself staying at Starwoods in Century City or LAX because they're just WAY better. And I stay in LA hotels a LOT. I just booked another LAX stay a couple hours ago.

At the Hilton, for a couple bucks more you can get a corner room upgrade, it's a decent room. A little outdated but nowhere near as bad as the sheraton.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 2:22 pm

Sheraton Universal Club Level?

Has anyone stayed at the Sheraton Universal club level? How is it?

Thanks,
-Jon
Old Mar 26, 2005, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Nothing to get excited about. The rooms are standard size with "upgraded" amenities and if I remember correctly contained the stardard for Clubs like robes. The Club was just two or three rooms at the end of the hall that had been brought together to form the Club. The food was standard Club stuff. The only distinct thing I remember was the crowd for breakfast. We ended up getting some stuff and taking it back to our room. I felt it was par for the course considering the park location. Net. Nothing exciting. Enjoy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.