Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Deira Hotel, Dubai [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2012, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond

I couldn't find any master tread for this hotel, so here I go:

Currently staying here for 4 nights. This might be the cheapest SPG property with a club lounge in the UAE. I am paying around 250 dirham per night, but I have seen rates as low as 180 dirham per night.

It is located in the middle of Deira, close to a metro stop (6-7 minutes walk), and there are complimentary shuttle to several malls (Reef Mall and Deira City Center amongst others). The hotel is located directly opposite a Lulu Hypermarket.

Got upgraded to a executive suite. The suite is large, but it is only a huge room (no divider between the sitting area and the sleeping area), I think the suite is around 55m2.

The service is good, and staff are eager to please.

The club lounge is okey, breakfast is fresh and good and the happy hour have sandwiches and two kinds of hot snacks (chicken, spring rolls, etc). There are complimentary beer and wine and hard liqour during happy hour.

I see many people here on FT and on Tripadvisor give this hotel bad reviews, my experience have only been good so far. It is not GH for sure, but it is a solid hotel and a great value for the price paid.

The WIFI is superfast.

Only downsides: no divider in the suite - between the sitting and the bed area, I find that annoying. There are also only one TV in the suite, you can swirl it around to the bed though... The wifi is fast, but you can only connect ONE device
Old Jun 4, 2012, 2:53 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
In the grand scheme of things, if you compare this property to your average Sheraton in the US or Europe it isn't bad. The only negative point in my book would be that the rooms are in need of an upgrade and the staff are sometimes clueless and just stand around like statues.

Now if you compare this property to the Grosvenor House or St Regis Saadayat Island, you really feel as if you are staying at a motel 6. However, that is due to the other two properties being in my opinion, two of the best that SPG has around the world.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 3:52 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
For the price point it is GREAT considering that the Le Meridien Dar Los Sandos is often in this price range, I much prefer this property for some of the reasons mentioned.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, but those are not comparable properties...for one night at the GH you get four nights here.

Agree that some of the staff are clueless, especially the housekeeping staff. But servicewise they are eager to please and attentive.

I was able to check in to my suite at 7AM without any fuzz. I was prepared to wait until 3PM OR pay an extra charge, but they told me it was okey since I was a platinum. A huge plus point from me!!
Old Jun 4, 2012, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
How does his property compare with Sheraton Dubai Creek? I thought they were comparable in terms of room rates.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Time traveller
How does his property compare with Sheraton Dubai Creek? I thought they were comparable in terms of room rates.
Dubai Creek is more expensive whenever I have checked. It is definitely a nicer location as well. Dubai Creek isn't the Hyatt but it is a step up from Deira.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Hmmm; I have no idea. I have never stayed at the Sheraton Dubai Creek. I see that you can get the Sheraton Dubai Creek at Beatthetimer sometimes for around 75 EUR plus tax, otherwise (at least when I check) the Dubai Creek is way more expensive than the Deira one.

Either way, from what I have heard the Dubai Creek have better rooms, but I dont care when I pay 250 Dirham per night, hehe.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 9:49 am

Programs: AF Frequence Plus Rouge pour toujours, BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, BW Rewards Diamond
Am a longtime HH Diamond who switched over to the dark side after having requal'd HHD in 6 months :-)

Have arrived at this property yesterday and here are my impressions after almost 2 days:

Check-in was ultra efficient, was attended to by the dedicated Gold/Diamond check-in agent even though I'm a SPG nothing. Had booked a Club floor room though so dunno.

Got a slight upgrade ie larger room with seperate couch/seating area, obviosuly on Club floor (3rd).

Staff (whether check-in, lounge, pool or otherwise) are friendly and efficient.
My room was not ready yet (what a surprise when you get there at 9:00 AM) so I had breakfast then went straight up to the pool with my camerhaa (more on that later).
I was told it would be ready by 11, however by 10AM they sent someone up to the pool (!) to tell me my room was ready!
The key was waiting for me at the lounge and my luggage arrived literally at the same time as me (Hiltons, take note.)

Also among the positives, not so bad location, 5mn walk from Abu Baker Al Sidique subway station (which I agree can feel like 30mn in 40-degree C heat like now), there is a bus stop to Union Station though right in front (doh! missed it first time round.)

Then there's the pool which is a aircraft spotter's heaven, you can literally shoot aircraft with your Canon(s) whilst IN the pool. Awesome.

The lounge food is quite good (breakfast has scrambled eggs, beef bacon, chicken sausages, hash browns, smoked salmon, cold cuts, cheese, pastries, fresh fruit, etc...)
In the evenings there are 2 different types of sandwiches and 2 different types of hot food every day along with olives and dried fruit/cookies)
Also great value for money, my Club room with lounge access bla bla bla is 411 AED.
Compare that to the 850AED the HH Dubai Creek wanted ofr the same period.

Now for the not-so-good stuff.
The property looks like it's still in the 50's. Both the room and the lounge look way past they sell-by date, even with the flat-screen TV's.

The shower has 2 settings i.e scalding hot or freezing cold. You eventually get to the desired temperature for a few minutes then it changes again by itself. Very annoying.

The lounge, although great for food, sucks for drinks.
Case 1: No drinks in self-service during the day, you have to ask the dragonette (Fine when you're the only one but this should get fun on Friday)
Case 2: The drinks in self-service in the evening are ridiculous. Mineral water, Perrier and red and white bum wine (the sort of stuff even US airlines don't flog anymore, even in Y).
You can have liquor or beer if you request it but again, through the dragonette.

The internet connection in the lounge, although free, is a 2-hour pass that you have to ask to...you guessed it (can't wait until the WE to see how they handle that with a lot of customers). Probably so that the rooms close to the lounge can't use the free lounge pince, but still.

Finally, the aircraft part, although also one of the orks in my case (and also due to the property being a 10 minute taxi ride from DXB) means that this is one noisy property.
I was in my room with windows closed and A/C on and still could tell that a CFM56-5 engined aircraft was passing overhead (to make it even more fun, remember DXB still sees action from JT8D equipped aircraft like 727's and 737-200's :-D).
For someone who wishes a quiet stay, look elsewhere.

Shall update this as the week goes by.
zzap likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 2:12 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by UTA_flyinghigh
A

The lounge, although great for food, sucks for drinks.
I usually hit up the supermarket 3 blocks away for non-alcoholic drinks. Cheap and easy...though admittedly not as easy as the lounge having it in the first place.

FWIW--Sheraton Dubai Creek Hotel & Towers is a big bump up in quality for what is often a small bump up in price. And will probably give you a better night's sleep.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 2:13 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Stayed a couple of years back and have to say I couldn't hear planes (from my room)
I had an "inside" looking room (ie no view)
Old Sep 18, 2012, 3:56 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
I usually hit up the supermarket 3 blocks away for non-alcoholic drinks. Cheap and easy...though admittedly not as easy as the lounge having it in the first place.

FWIW--Sheraton Dubai Creek Hotel & Towers is a big bump up in quality for what is often a small bump up in price. And will probably give you a better night's sleep.
I didn't find Sheraton Creek that great. Sure the lounge is better, but the rooms are similar to Deira. The restaurant at Creek is however nice, but so is the pool at Deira with A380s flying overhead. I always found it funny how Creek sends a Limo to get you at the airport, whilst Deira sends nothing, despite the fact that they are spitting distance from the airport itself.

My favorite properties in Dubai are Four Points SZR and Grosvenor House. Although GH is not quite the same budget as the others... But you pay for what you get...
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:08 am

Programs: AF Frequence Plus Rouge pour toujours, BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, BW Rewards Diamond
On my 4th day now and I now know exactly what type of sound a 388 makes on T/O and landing

Today I had twice the amount of toiletries (!) but coffee/tea/sugar was not replenished???

Anyways great service at the lounge, I choose my table and put down my laptaupe and camerhaa, by the time I get my food and come back I have the code for the pince on my taupe, a double whisky on the rocks, a glass of red wine and a big glass of Perrier.
Someone has been paying attention to my habits for the last days, a big +1 in my book.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 7:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt GP Dia, SPG Plat, DL PM, HHonors Gold
On my second day here. I agree with OP and other comments.

Suite upgrade is nice for platinum members. Lounge food could be better but free happy hour drinks (beer, wine and spirits) is a nice touch.

Indeed, if you have a south/southwest facing room, you will hear planes overhead. By my recollection, starting at 5am.

One amusing point, the sauna/steam room has ladies hours from 10am-1pm. Slightly confused as to whether women were not allowed at other times, it seems 10-1 is exclusive time and share times otherwise. Surprised that a GCC country would have mixed saunas, but I'd bring a towel just in case.
Old May 21, 2013, 8:26 am
GVA

I have to say this place hasn't changed much after a recent visit.

The rooms are still as dodgy as they were before (old and worn down). The hallways smell of pestiside to the point where you need to take a spare cloth with you to avoid inhaling the stuff (it really is a terrible smell).

In the evenings you have random girls waiting for company in the lobby.

As I left one of the bell boys was very helpful and ran to help me with my bags (kind of weird for a property where everything else was so far off). On the way outside, I ask for a cab to the airport. Right in front of the door there was a Dubai taxi waiting, but the bell boy insisted I get into a very expensive limo. It took me repeating "I want the normal taxi" 5 times before he opened the door to the cab and put my bag in the trunk. So much for unbiased service...

The lounge appetizers consisted of mini pizzas and tempura filled with seafood. The wine is still the same stuff you wouldn't even use as vinegar at home.

Overall, this place is of course cheap and has a nice rooftop pool for spotting, but the rest is really of a random American Four Points quality (excepting maybe the lounge and working ladies of the night).
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
has anyone had success using their suite nights here????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.