Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Turkish or Lufthansa - Europe to SFO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Turkish or Lufthansa - Europe to SFO

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by wrp96
Flying out of the way to IST is no worse, and arguably better, than having to do go through the fun that is US immigration at a connecting point and then sit in economy for the onward connection to SFO.
Depends on where the US connection is. If this were IAD I would totally agree.
But SEA is a very easy port of entry and it's only 2 hours to SFO. I would probably take that over five to six extra hours and an IST transfer.

There's also a legitimate chance LH and/or LX will open space to SFO in the weeks prior to departure.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
Flying out of the way to IST is no worse, and arguably better, than having to do go through the fun that is US immigration at a connecting point and then sit in economy for the onward connection to SFO.
Strongly disagree on this. A couple hours in Y after a decent snack in SEA would be my preference over paying the change fee to increase my travel time by several hours to fly on TK.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Platinum
Originally Posted by zeer0
I think what the OP means is that they're willing to take an intra Europe flight to any gateway, since there's J availability on most of these short flights.
Yes, thank you! I am not trying "duck out" of anything here.

By October, I will have been traveling ("nomadding") for 9 months. I spent 5 months in Asia and just arrived in Europe last week. The flight we are discussing is my flight home to the states and I need to land in SFO/SJC/OAK. I have about a week of flexibility on this - October 17-23.

I have enough United miles to fly saver business from anywhere in Europe. I am happy to go and visit almost anywhere in Europe. So if the saver fare is from Frankfurt, I will spend my last week in Frankfurt. If the saver fare is from Milan, I will make it Milan, and if the saver fare is Vienna, I will make it Vienna.

I really appreciate all of your thoughts on this and am somewhat relieved to hear that it's not a slam dunk for TK since I'm currently booked on LH. Lounge alone is not a reason for me to eat the cancelation fee, so I will probably just stick with that I have.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
Europe to SFO is a daytime flight. So I don't understand the references to "a full night's sleep."

I would not add six hours (or more) travel time just to fly TK over LH.
I was referring to on the way back.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LH4116
I was referring to on the way back.
Okay, but OP was specifically asking about the Europe to SFO segment, and that's their return flight.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The available seats on TK will probably vanish quickly once the laptop ban is dropped... ansa[/URL]
There are still plenty of award seats on TK flights to IST from ORD and IAH in J for 11 months from now showing on UA award chart. This is post laptop ban. Suspect a lot of travelers just don't want to go anywhere near Turkey even if it is just connecting after the IST bombing last year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.