Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

SFO-CPH: Lufthansa or Swiss?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2017, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Plat/Marriott Titanium

As a *G member and in consideration with lounge access, which airline would you pick given approximately the same layover time? For Lufthansa the stopover is at either FRA or MUC, while Swiss has the stopover at ZRH. Both are Economy class.
Also ,how is Lufthansa's business class? Are seats with flatbed feature? I can get reward seats on its Airbus A380-800.
Old May 19, 2017, 11:11 pm

As far as airports go MUC > ZRH > FRA.

LH C is flatbed for years now, and I like the product.

If you find availability, the direct flight on SK is also a good choice.
Old May 20, 2017, 3:07 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
LH's "new" C is not as "private" as other airline's C, but I personally do noty mind... Again, personally, I do not think FRA transit is that bad... I actually like FRA... (Here it goes, beat me Scotty!) So, I would pick based on connection times, total flying times and schedules generally...
Old May 20, 2017, 10:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I would look for the SK nonstop.

If you can get business class on LH, or economy on everything else, then LH is the best option
Old May 20, 2017, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
In economy, then SAS will be much less painful as it's only one flight. MUC and ZRH are much nicer airports than FRA and I slightly prefer LX to LH in economy (and in business also) but I will admit I haven't flown either in longhaul economy.
Old May 20, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: LH FT, AA Plat
I'd stay away from SAS, I personally find it to be a mediocre airline with terrible service. I rather have a stop somewhere else than to fly with them.
Old May 20, 2017, 4:54 pm

Swiss is 10-abreast on the 777 SFO-ZRH. I'd skip that if at all possible. SK is the A340 and LH is an A380 to FRA and an A340 to MUC. Based on that if flying Y I'd vote in order:
  1. SK nonstop to CPH
  2. FRA (quieter, better ride)
  3. MUC (smaller airport, easier to transit)
  4. ZRH (worst pax comfort in the air)
Old May 21, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
I would say SK for any class of service. Business class is as good as Swiss and far better than Lufthansa, as it has direct aisle access. Economy is better on SK than on Swiss or Lufthansa by a mile. First of all, the 2-4-2 layout is very comfortable as there are very few middles, and second, any *G gets to select any SK seats for free, including exit rows. Also, if we're talking economy, earnings on SK tend to be far better than LH or LX, especially with the cheaper fares.
Old May 21, 2017, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
If you can't go in business class, would LH premium economy be an option? There is a price differential, but sometimes it isn't so bad.

If in Y, I'm with a previous poster who said to avoid LX with its awful 10 abreast seating in the back.
Old May 22, 2017, 12:04 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by zeer0
I would say SK for any class of service. Business class is as good as Swiss
The SK J seat is miles better than the LX seat.
Old May 24, 2017, 1:09 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
The SK J seat is miles better than the LX seat.
Fair enough, but soft product is way better on Swiss. So I see them as equal, even considering that hard product is the most important factor.
Old May 25, 2017, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by zeer0
Fair enough, but soft product is way better on Swiss. So I see them as equal, even considering that hard product is the most important factor.
Personally, I'm not a fan of LX soft or hard product. I think UA soft product is better (except for the 10% of the time you get a crappy UA crew).
Old Jul 29, 2017, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Plat/Marriott Titanium
Sorry for the late reply. We ended up booking on LH Business class, very nice service. The only issue was our outbound flight from SF was delayed by more than an hour, and we barely made the connection at FRA. Unfortunately our luggage did not arrive when we got to CPH in the afternoon. We filled out the form and was told they would do everything to deliver our luggage before the ship took off. Luckily, our cruise did not leave until 11 pm. By the time we finished dinner and went back to our cabin, bags were indeed there waiting for us. Great services by both Holland America and LH. All's well that ends well but next time we will not take the chance and fly out at least one day in advance for cruise.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 2:43 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
You could've flown SAS booked myself on the direct SFO-CPH in Oct just for an interesting way to get to BKK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.