Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Hw2 get Boarding Pass for connceting flight arring late?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, TG, LH

What if you haven't checked in, have no bording pass for the connecting flights and the flight arrives a few hours late (e.g. CA PVG-SYD SYD-PVG frequently up to 4 h late)?

Since the gate/web check-in time is over, how do you obtain your boarding?

Did you find it suffcient to show your travel iteniary to be allowed to go to the transit area and get it from the lounge or gate agent or did you have to exit?

If you had to exit where did you get your BP, since I assume that check in is not staffed any more once standard check in was over?

I found connecting and getting the BP to be an increasing problem for me in the past years. Since I'm most likely have this problem in August again, milage run FRA-SYD via PVG with CA and LH I was looking for a solution.

The *A airlines webpages (LH and CA) had not info on availability of *A transfer desks after leaving the plane in PVG and SYD, nor where to find them if there are any and when are they staffed.

Calling the CA and LH by telefone wasn't helfull either, I was directed from one telefone number to another, even given number in Sydney to call withouth any success.

Even though webcheckin is in principle possible, I found it an unreliable alternative way for check in, e.g. when I had slow or no connectivity to cell and WiFi-spots at airports incl. plane (LH has no WiFi once flying over chineese territory)
Old Jul 2, 2015, 4:33 am

Programs: SEN, FB PLT, HH,
You mean fly back with same aircraft, right?

So you can either ask the staff in PVG to mark that this PAX return with same aircraft, then you go trough security and back to the gate there you can get your BP.

Another way is to ask spouse, friend etc to check you in while you are on way to SYD.

in any case dont go out by immigration because you will miss your flight for sure.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, TG, LH
Transfer service at PVG nonexistant

I was lucky none of my flights were delayed, but online check in for CA and ground service in PVG for transit was non existent.

When I arrived both times at PVG the transfer counters were not staffed, if they ever are. I had to pass immigration in PVG. One immigration counter noted in the display "transit at counter 72", counter 72 did not exist when I walked by.

Online check in not functional/available for the PVG-SYD nor the SYD-PVG leg, which is what I was told after calling CA. No mentioning on the CA website that these routes are not supported for on line check in.

Online check in on a CA ticket, flight operated by LH, worked fine. Boarding pass for the next trips could not be provided since there is no agreement between LH and CA to do so.

For the return flight I had to wait for the LH check in at PVG to open, and even longer for them to give me a paper ticket since my eticket was supposedly non existent.

Only positive was the transit in SYD, because the agent that was at the gate for arrival, told me he will provide me with my boarding pass at the gate once the plane was empty and I cleared security.

The worst was I was refused the boardin pass for PVG-SYD unless I had a visa, whih I could not get by internet using the internet at PVG (cell and airport WiFi). Since I had many returns to by departing airport via SYD i know that Australia honers Travel without Visa, only some gate agents do not (CA, TG) do not.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by snn47
I was lucky none of my flights were delayed, but online check in for CA and ground service in PVG for transit was non existent.

When I arrived both times at PVG the transfer counters were not staffed, if they ever are. I had to pass immigration in PVG. One immigration counter noted in the display "transit at counter 72", counter 72 did not exist when I walked by.

Online check in not functional/available for the PVG-SYD nor the SYD-PVG leg, which is what I was told after calling CA. No mentioning on the CA website that these routes are not supported for on line check in.

Online check in on a CA ticket, flight operated by LH, worked fine. Boarding pass for the next trips could not be provided since there is no agreement between LH and CA to do so.

For the return flight I had to wait for the LH check in at PVG to open, and even longer for them to give me a paper ticket since my eticket was supposedly non existent.

Only positive was the transit in SYD, because the agent that was at the gate for arrival, told me he will provide me with my boarding pass at the gate once the plane was empty and I cleared security.

The worst was I was refused the boardin pass for PVG-SYD unless I had a visa, whih I could not get by internet using the internet at PVG (cell and airport WiFi). Since I had many returns to by departing airport via SYD i know that Australia honers Travel without Visa, only some gate agents do not (CA, TG) do not.
Transfer service at PVG is only limited hours, and only for certain airline connections. It can't generally be relied on as being available.

My friend did LH->CA a couple months ago - also unable to get boarding pass for the AU flight in Frankfurt prior to departure. They had to wait in the departures hall at PVG until three hours before the CA flight when check-in opened.

Australia usually offers TWOV, but there are exceptions. You must also be continuing to a third country in order to qualify. Without a third country, you will be denied boarding unless you have a visa or ETA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.