Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rank the Lounges!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:07 am

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
It's always interesting, as everybody has their own views on such things. (Although certain things, such as UA's inferiority, appear to be universal.) I, for one, disagree with those who seem to really like TG's BKK lounges. I am not much a fan, myself. I think that BR (post-renovation) is the best lounge in BKK by far. TG tends to have a very poor food and beverage selection.

For those interested in LHR rankings, this is my two pennies worth.
If you don't need to go to 2B, stick with Lufthansa. They have a nice lounge. Good food. Nice atmosphere. (However, their internet makes your computer/device think it is in Germany, so if you are using anything which requires you to be in UK or location based system, this could cause issues, so plan ahead.)
If you are going to 2B, you have 3 options

Air Canada-Don't. It is tiny. Very few seats. Decent view, but you can't tell, because you can't sit down to see it. (Okay, so I am sure plenty will disagree, but when you have access to so many lounges, I see no area where this lounge is competitive.) They do serve a signature drink, which, if memory serves includes Canadian whiskey and Maple syrup. (Not my taste) Food offering isn't so bad. But despite large massive window, the colour choices and the layout make it feel small and dark. In all, it just didn't work.

United- Go here if you are most interested in a drink or a shower. They will press your clothes for you while you shower and also have very nifty little foldable toothbrushes. The bar menu is large. Food is satisfactory, but I don't remember it being phenomenal.

Singapore- If you are interested in some Singaporean cuisine, I would recommend the SQ lounge. They have my favourite food out of all of the options. Also some good drink options, including the ever-popular Singapore Sling.

As LHR is my home airport, when I fly from LHR, when I go shorthaul, I stick with LH. When Lounghaul, I will usually go to SQ, (Since it is now open) and if time permits or if wanting shower etc. I may go over to UA. Depends on timing. But for me, pretty much boils down to LH for Euro flights, SQ and/or UA for Longhaul. Anybody else with different thoughts?
Old Jul 13, 2015, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar

If you don't need to go to 2B, stick with Lufthansa. They have a nice lounge. Good food. Nice atmosphere. (However, their internet makes your computer/device think it is in Germany, so if you are using anything which requires you to be in UK or location based system, this could cause issues, so plan ahead.)

Air Canada-Don't. It is tiny. Very few seats. Decent view, but you can't tell, because you can't sit down to see it. (Okay, so I am sure plenty will disagree, but when you have access to so many lounges, I see no area where this lounge is competitive.) They do serve a signature drink, which, if memory serves includes Canadian whiskey and Maple syrup. (Not my taste) Food offering isn't so bad. But despite large massive window, the colour choices and the layout make it feel small and dark. In all, it just didn't work.

United- Go here if you are most interested in a drink or a shower. They will press your clothes for you while you shower and also have very nifty little foldable toothbrushes. The bar menu is large. Food is satisfactory, but I don't remember it being phenomenal.

Singapore- If you are interested in some Singaporean cuisine, I would recommend the SQ lounge. They have my favourite food out of all of the options. Also some good drink options, including the ever-popular Singapore Sling.

As LHR is my home airport, when I fly from LHR, when I go shorthaul, I stick with LH. When Lounghaul, I will usually go to SQ, (Since it is now open) and if time permits or if wanting shower etc. I may go over to UA. Depends on timing. But for me, pretty much boils down to LH for Euro flights, SQ and/or UA for Longhaul. Anybody else with different thoughts?
I think you summarised it perfectly ^
The AC lounge is the pits at LHR
Old Jul 14, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
All the *A lounges in HKG are pretty impressive.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
The Private Room at Changi. Best SA lounge ever!
Old Jul 17, 2015, 1:21 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Preacher7
The Private Room at Changi. Best SA lounge ever!
I don't believe the SQ Private Room is a *A lounge just as the LH First Class Terminal in FRA isn't.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 12:55 am

Programs: AF FB Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by CMK10
There are indeed, the one I'm referring to is the Schengen Lounge in Concourse A. There's a second one at the end of the A Concourse and a third one in Concourse B for Non-Schengen. Trust me, going to The Loft is worth it:
Reporting back after my flight: I loved the lounge! I'd say it's one of the best schengen lounges I've been to. The design is nice, and the food options are excellent, as are the views over the tarmac. The nap rooms are very nice as well.
The only improvable point would be the wines (except the cava which I liked very much), which were average at best.

In general very, very nice experience - i'll definitely consider connecting at BRU next time there's a decent fare for an intra-schengen flight
Old Jul 27, 2015, 3:03 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HasteFlier
Reporting back after my flight: I loved the lounge! I'd say it's one of the best schengen lounges I've been to. The design is nice, and the food options are excellent, as are the views over the tarmac. The nap rooms are very nice as well.
The only improvable point would be the wines (except the cava which I liked very much), which were average at best.

In general very, very nice experience - i'll definitely consider connecting at BRU next time there's a decent fare for an intra-schengen flight
Glad to hear you liked it as much as I did, I too was very surprised by just how good it was, especially compared to the Ultra-LCC experience of actually flying SN intra-Europe.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Having just been to HND and OKA ANA domestic, talk about bare bones
Old Feb 22, 2016, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar
It's always interesting, as everybody has their own views on such things. (Although certain things, such as UA's inferiority, appear to be universal.) I, for one, disagree with those who seem to really like TG's BKK lounges. I am not much a fan, myself. I think that BR (post-renovation) is the best lounge in BKK by far. TG tends to have a very poor food and beverage selection.

agreed

the tg lounges in bkk are the asian equivalent of united clubs, i had no idea anyone liked them. prepackaged sammiches, the same chicken tikka and rice, and not much else. sq is in bkk great and my god that new eva lounge is amazing. they even had pizza mmmmmmmm

for lhr, i always have to start from the euro gates so i stop by the lh lounge to get some german beer a tater salad and a salad or something.

then i go to sq to see if they have any good food. their cocktails are VERY good so of course i get a couple slings. however when no sq flight is imminent they quickly pull 2/3 of the hot food.

then i go to ua to shower and eat, they have the best breakfast (a proper american one) out of any of the lounges, and best showers with free no drama shirt pressing. i liked the breakfast at the ua club, it's really nice having an 'murican breakfast when you live in africa and have to "deal with" european style breakfasts for months.

i skip ac. it's not that great especially compared to the other airlines operating lounges. but in all fairness i went in the evening after almost all ac flights departed, and i'll prob try their breakfast next time i'm there.

sadly lh is the only bar with self serve. the ac bar is dinky. ua's is lovely.

checking out all 4 lounges during a layover is mos def worth the walk. but god i hate lhr so much

Last edited by phbl; Feb 22, 2016 at 4:09 am
Old Feb 22, 2016, 10:44 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HasteFlier

I must have gone to a different SN lounge as I only recall being in a bitsy lounge directly next to some Schengen gates at BRU. Beer was great but the food was so sad (prepackaged cheese sandwiches). I'll have to check it out the next time I connect on SN!

Other lounges, from my own limited experience:

SK: The upper level at CPH *A has kept me comfortable for longer layovers. Though the wine wasn't that great, a constant restock of roasted salmon and nice seats next to a fireplace were always nice. I also really liked the LHR lounge before it closed down.

LH: Have been the most consistent across SEN lounges. I'm partial to the non-Schengen MUC lounge though. Have never experienced any of the FCT services though...

UA: Was pleasantly surprised in the new LHR United Club. I have unpleasant memories of a malfunctioning printer at EWR -- and was curtly told to fax my Germanwings boarding pass as a PDF to a free fax service because the fax machine was the only bit working at the EWR UA Club business center

TP: A few years ago, I had a nice experience passing the time in the LIS lounge that I believe is still being renovated. No windows, but the service, food, and drink options were just great.

LX: I've only ever been to the lounge at ZRH. The bar upstairs is pretty fantastic if you've got time to kill. The food is always just okay IMO but I look always forward to a glass of Rivella.

Not tied to a carrier, but I remember having nice pastries at the *A Lounge at CDG. It's a bit cramped and can get crowded at times, but I did like the fact that they had an outdoor terrace area.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:47 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Million Miler Premier Platinum, Marriott Gold
The American Express Centurian Lounge in Dallas - albeit not "airline" lounge is excellent and among the best I have experienced anywhere. I think most agree that UA lounges are continuing to deteriorate despite claims to the contrary and last two times in IAD and IAH there was not a single seat in entire lounge open...they have gotten far too generous with the CC promos with free lounge access and as a result long time loyal customers are displaced.
Have to question where they got the F&B advice on the recent changes to the food offerings of UA Lounges..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.