Star Alliance airlines to get from South America to Australia

Subscribe
I am looking to do a Round the World Trip.

I want to start in South Africa, go to South America and then onto Australia.

I can't think of/find an airline that is part of Star Alliance that flies South America - Australia, what am I missing?
nothing

You could start in South America and fly to South Africa and then Australia on Star Alliance (SA) GRU-JNB-PER
I do believe that is your only option for Star Alliance, departing Sao Paolo.

Once in Jo-berg, you can get to Perth non stop, otherwise you will have to connect via Singapore on SQ metal to Perth, Adeleadie Etc...

There are no direct JNB-SYD/MEL flights from South Africa that are available for redemption.

South African Airways code shares with Quantas for this route.
Star Alliance airlines to get from South America to Australia
And the Qantas (no u) flight JNB-SYD vv. is permitted under the *A Round The World fare when booked as SAA codeshare flight, however since Qantas is not a member of *A, the mileage earning options in *A frequent flyer programs are very limited.
Quote: And the Qantas (no u) flight JNB-SYD vv. is permitted under the *A Round The World fare when booked as SAA codeshare flight, however since Qantas is not a member of *A, the mileage earning options in *A frequent flyer programs are very limited.
I find that very strange when I saw this flight appear in *A timetable. What's so different with this flight from any other non *A codeshare flights?
Quote: And the Qantas (no u) flight JNB-SYD vv. is permitted under the *A Round The World fare when booked as SAA codeshare flight, however since Qantas is not a member of *A, the mileage earning options in *A frequent flyer programs are very limited.
And it is NOT permitted as an award redemption from most carriers.
I was going to say LAN for their SCL-SYD route since they are now LATAM due to the merger with TAM (a *A partner). However, they still operate independently.
Quote: And it is NOT permitted as an award redemption from most carriers.
That is not surprising at all given that you generally can't book awards on codeshare flights. The OP did not indicate that s/he is looking for an award ticket so this shouldn't be an issue then.
Quote: I was going to say LAN for their SCL-SYD route since they are now LATAM due to the merger with TAM (a *A partner). However, they still operate independently.
... and will not join *A as a combined entity.
I live in Aus and visit South Africa a few times a year and I would like to go to South America on my way from South Africa.

It seemed so easy to merely go South Africa - South America - Aus - South Africa, but alas it is not to be.
Rather than an around-the-world, why don't you go AUS-South-Africa-South America and back... while the earning on SA would not be ideal, a revenue ticket on SA might do the trick...
South African does fly to EZE, as well TAP goes to both Brazil & Angola.