Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance airlines to get from South America to Australia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2012, 9:25 am
Original Poster

I am looking to do a Round the World Trip.

I want to start in South Africa, go to South America and then onto Australia.

I can't think of/find an airline that is part of Star Alliance that flies South America - Australia, what am I missing?
Old Sep 15, 2012, 9:42 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
nothing

You could start in South America and fly to South Africa and then Australia on Star Alliance (SA) GRU-JNB-PER
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:59 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I do believe that is your only option for Star Alliance, departing Sao Paolo.

Once in Jo-berg, you can get to Perth non stop, otherwise you will have to connect via Singapore on SQ metal to Perth, Adeleadie Etc...

There are no direct JNB-SYD/MEL flights from South Africa that are available for redemption.

South African Airways code shares with Quantas for this route.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 3:16 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC

And the Qantas (no u) flight JNB-SYD vv. is permitted under the *A Round The World fare when booked as SAA codeshare flight, however since Qantas is not a member of *A, the mileage earning options in *A frequent flyer programs are very limited.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 6:54 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by ACflyerDE
And the Qantas (no u) flight JNB-SYD vv. is permitted under the *A Round The World fare when booked as SAA codeshare flight, however since Qantas is not a member of *A, the mileage earning options in *A frequent flyer programs are very limited.
I find that very strange when I saw this flight appear in *A timetable. What's so different with this flight from any other non *A codeshare flights?
Old Sep 15, 2012, 7:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ACflyerDE
And it is NOT permitted as an award redemption from most carriers.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 8:25 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
I was going to say LAN for their SCL-SYD route since they are now LATAM due to the merger with TAM (a *A partner). However, they still operate independently.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:02 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sbm12
And it is NOT permitted as an award redemption from most carriers.
That is not surprising at all given that you generally can't book awards on codeshare flights. The OP did not indicate that s/he is looking for an award ticket so this shouldn't be an issue then.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
I was going to say LAN for their SCL-SYD route since they are now LATAM due to the merger with TAM (a *A partner). However, they still operate independently.
... and will not join *A as a combined entity.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 2:54 am
Original Poster

I live in Aus and visit South Africa a few times a year and I would like to go to South America on my way from South Africa.

It seemed so easy to merely go South Africa - South America - Aus - South Africa, but alas it is not to be.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 8:00 am
formerly MNLGuy

Programs: UAGold/MM DL AA
Rather than an around-the-world, why don't you go AUS-South-Africa-South America and back... while the earning on SA would not be ideal, a revenue ticket on SA might do the trick...
Old Sep 18, 2012, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
South African does fly to EZE, as well TAP goes to both Brazil & Angola.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.