Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

What happens when you have more than one *A membership?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2012, 6:20 am
Original Poster

I've always had onlyone M&M card. Now I have an Aeroplan card as well.
What happens when I fly AC? Can I just choose which card will earn the miles? If so, how can I do that?

Thanks a lot...
Old May 16, 2012, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
You just enter the frequent flyer number / program that you want the miles to credit to when you book the travel.

If you enter M&M, they will post there.

You can also usually change the FF number at the gate / check in process if needed for some reason...
Old May 17, 2012, 9:13 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by kramerica
I've always had onlyone M&M card. Now I have an Aeroplan card as well.
What happens when I fly AC? Can I just choose which card will earn the miles? If so, how can I do that?

Thanks a lot...
What do you want to accomplish with two *A cards? You should be very clear about what the goal is. Usually this only makes sense for real frequent flyers.
Old May 23, 2012, 6:58 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Gold
I have the same situation. I have status on one airline and want to use that status for free bags but I want my points to post to another account. If i change my FF# (to the non-status account) after checking in on my return trip should my points post to the account i change it to?
Old May 23, 2012, 7:41 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
I have a US *G and a UA *G card valid this year. If I'm traveling with two guests, will I be able to take them into LH lounges (one guest with each card)?

thanks!
Old May 23, 2012, 8:32 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by chrisny2
I have a US *G and a UA *G card valid this year. If I'm traveling with two guests, will I be able to take them into LH lounges (one guest with each card)?

thanks!
Not exactly the same situation, but I predict the results will be the same:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...-2-guests.html

It's not dependent on the number of cards you have, it's the number of members and the number of guests, i.e. one member gets one guest.
Old May 24, 2012, 2:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by Happyguy
I have the same situation. I have status on one airline and want to use that status for free bags but I want my points to post to another account. If i change my FF# (to the non-status account) after checking in on my return trip should my points post to the account i change it to?
It depends on the airline. Some airlines like LH have a field for entering FQTV (earning) and FQTS (status) on the reservation. For some airlines, you can show one card at check-in for the benefits and accrue miles to another airline. Most US airlines (at least UA [and previously CO]) required the card you swiped at check-in to get the benefits be the one that the miles went to. In other words, if I wanted the free bag, I had to check-in using that card and enter the number. But it was usually possible to change it later at the gate or at the club and certainly to do it on a multi-leg itinerary for the second an subsequent connections.
Old May 24, 2012, 8:35 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by eefor jfp
It depends on the airline. Some airlines like LH have a field for entering FQTV (earning) and FQTS (status) on the reservation. For some airlines, you can show one card at check-in for the benefits and accrue miles to another airline. Most US airlines (at least UA [and previously CO]) required the card you swiped at check-in to get the benefits be the one that the miles went to. In other words, if I wanted the free bag, I had to check-in using that card and enter the number. But it was usually possible to change it later at the gate or at the club and certainly to do it on a multi-leg itinerary for the second an subsequent connections.
All *A carriers have FQTV and FQTS fields.
Old May 27, 2012, 10:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
So then you can use A3 for status benefits but credit miles to another carrier? How does this relate to the discussion about A3 frowning on this or even outright prohibiting the practice?
Old May 29, 2012, 1:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
But not all agents know how to enter this information or even read (interpret) it.
Old May 29, 2012, 11:22 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
If this is true, I should be able to:

FQTV: UA and earn miles there
FQTS: US and qualify for domestic free upgrades

...when flying on US? I've tried this dozens of times, and never once gotten it to work. As a mostly DCA-based flyer, I'm forced onto US quite a bit (where I have US Platinum via AmEx Centurion) but keep earnings with UA in order to make sure I hit 1K.
Old May 29, 2012, 11:31 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
If this is true, I should be able to:

FQTV: UA and earn miles there
FQTS: US and qualify for domestic free upgrades

...when flying on US? I've tried this dozens of times, and never once gotten it to work. As a mostly DCA-based flyer, I'm forced onto US quite a bit (where I have US Platinum via AmEx Centurion) but keep earnings with UA in order to make sure I hit 1K.
Not sure - some carriers (like SQ and US it seems) restrict their own FFs to the FQTV field, only allowing the FQTS field to be used with other carriers' FF numbers.

Putting UA in FQTS and US in FQTV would definitely work.
Old May 29, 2012, 11:36 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Putting UA in FQTS and US in FQTV would definitely work.
But no point to me, since I have *G on both, and UA*G wouldn't give me better benefits than US Platinum.
Old May 29, 2012, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
But no point to me, since I have *G on both, and UA*G wouldn't give me better benefits than US Platinum.
Indeed. Sadly, I have no power to change US' internal policies with regards to FQTV/FQTS fields.
Old May 31, 2012, 2:27 pm

Hi everyone,

since you are very interested in Airline Alliance I would like to kindly ask you to fill in my questionnaire. I really hope that you dont find this bothering since it is for my bachelor thesis and I really really need your help.

thanks a lot for participating,
tamarinda

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/BXGRNRC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.