Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Checking baggage through on different Star Alliance tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checking baggage through on different Star Alliance tickets?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:23 pm

Programs: Does it matter any more?
Old thread, same question 4 years later

I read Lucky's blog post about UA's policy effective March 1, 2015.

I have someone traveling
BOS-SFO (Ticket 1, UA)
SFO-SIN-SFO (Ticket 2, SQ)
SFO-BOS (Ticket 1, UA)

Several questions
  1. Can I ask them to check their bags through all the way to SIN at BOS?
  2. Anyone here have experience with the UA staff at Logan and their familiarity with this process?
  3. Is there any process/profile/documentation that I can point my friend to, so they can ask the UA people at Logan using the right terms?
  4. Any recent experiences with checking bags through on a similar set of legs on *A carriers but separate tickets?
Old Jan 18, 2015, 4:29 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by legionnaire
I read Lucky's blog post about UA's policy effective March 1, 2015.

I have someone traveling
BOS-SFO (Ticket 1, UA)
SFO-SIN-SFO (Ticket 2, SQ)
SFO-BOS (Ticket 1, UA)

Several questions
  1. Can I ask them to check their bags through all the way to SIN at BOS?
  2. Anyone here have experience with the UA staff at Logan and their familiarity with this process?
  3. Is there any process/profile/documentation that I can point my friend to, so they can ask the UA people at Logan using the right terms?
  4. Any recent experiences with checking bags through on a similar set of legs on *A carriers but separate tickets?
Should be no problem, UA will continue to interline bags with Star Alliance
partners on 2 tickets. SQ is still a member of Star.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 6:53 am

Thanks. I should have clarified that the layover in SFO will be 10 hours. Idk if that makes a difference.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 1:54 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by legionnaire
Thanks. I should have clarified that the layover in SFO will be 10 hours. Idk if that makes a difference.
Layover <24 (23?) hours should not be problem. >24 (23?) hours is considered to be stopover and that would be problem.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 10:47 am

Thanks folks. I assume payment for checked bags will be governed by UA's rules (not SQ). I also assume on the return, he will have to anyway collect his bags, clear them through customs and check them in himself for the SFO-BOS leg since he's arriving on an international flight.

If it matters, he ultimately ended up buying
BOS-SFO (UA, Ticket 1, Paid one way)
SFO-SIN-SFO (SQ, Ticket 2)
SFO-BOS (UA, Ticket 3, Award one-way)
Old Jan 19, 2015, 8:31 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Although if they're on separate tickets UA and SQ are not obligated to check bags through. Even if they are both SA carriers.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 9:31 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by NewMoonMonday
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and was looking for help with the same. I don't book tickets often and had to book a trip for my boss but I booked him on three separate tickets on Star Alliance for the following :

Outbound:
Ticket 1. GVA - FRA (LH)
Ticket 2. FRA - YYZ (AC)

Inbound:
Ticket 2.YYC - LHR (AC)
Ticket 3. LHR - GVA (SA)

Is there any way that we can have it so it is a through check in at GVA, so he doesn't have to check in again at FRA, and the same for his return when he checks in at YYC, he won't have to again at LHR?

Definitely learned my lesson with this! I hope it's possible.
Out of curiosity, and a little off topic, but I hope there's another flight between YYZ and YYC ( or sufficient time) since its nearly 3,400 km between the two.

I am joking, but only a little. I've had a European supplier rep call me for directions from Vancouver to Montreal. He looked at the map and thought it looked far, so he set aside almost one whole day to make the drive.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: AC*E35 and decreasing
For anyone searching about this topic, yesterday I flew ICN-KIX in OZ, and a separate ticket KIX-YVR-YQR in AC. At check-in the Asiana lady not only checked my bag all the way through after I showed her my AC flight numbers, but she even gave me the two boarding passes for the AC legs.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 7:30 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
three tickets, two different continents. i would like to check in dps and not have to pick up my bag until iah. i will be ok with picking it up in sea if need be. i am a star silver if that is worth anything at all in this matter.

ticket 1: errorplan ticket, flying on thai air, dps-bkk (14 hour overnight layover in bkk)
ticket 2: mileage plus ticket, flying on ana, bkk-nrt-sea (10 hour day layover in sea, will standby earlier flights)
ticket 3: errorplan ticket, united sea-den-iah

if i want to get my bags thru checked do i need to call aeroplan? thai air? or just show up earlier and have an agent work their magic?

thank you.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by cur
three tickets, two different continents. i would like to check in dps and not have to pick up my bag until iah. i will be ok with picking it up in sea if need be. i am a star silver if that is worth anything at all in this matter.

ticket 1: errorplan ticket, flying on thai air, dps-bkk (14 hour overnight layover in bkk)
ticket 2: mileage plus ticket, flying on ana, bkk-nrt-sea (10 hour day layover in sea, will standby earlier flights)

if i want to get my bags thru checked do i need to call aeroplan? thai air? or just show up earlier and have an agent work their magic?

thank you.
You need to pick up your bags at SEA in any case since you need to clear customs.
Also standby on many airlines does not work when you already have bags checked in. Not sure about United.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 2:01 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by cur

thank you.
Ask when you drop your bags but be prepared to hear no.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA
Errorplan 💀

A concern is the overnight layover, there is a reasonable chance that they will not check your bags through that connection. Even if they do, you would still need to pick up your bags in SEA as you will be clearing customs there.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 6:50 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by angetenar
Errorplan 💀

A concern is the overnight layover, there is a reasonable chance that they will not check your bags through that connection. Even if they do, you would still need to pick up your bags in SEA as you will be clearing customs there.
ana checkin counter in bkk will be open for their red eyes when i arrive so i can always try that if dps cannot help. the objective is when i arrive at bkk in the am i can just go straight to immigration and security, no picking up luggage from basement and waiting in checkin line

ill report back how it goes.

picking up in sea is fine due to customs and standby situation
Old Feb 21, 2023, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by cur
ana checkin counter in bkk will be open for their red eyes when i arrive so i can always try that if dps cannot help. the objective is when i arrive at bkk in the am i can just go straight to immigration and security, no picking up luggage from basement and waiting in checkin line

ill report back how it goes.

picking up in sea is fine due to customs and standby situation
TG are very helpful with through checking on *A partners IME, just go to the airport when checkin opens & im confident they will check your bags through to SEA
cur likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 1:45 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by angetenar
Errorplan 💀

Most airports in Asia and Europe don't have this overnight thing the US does. For them, the connection limit is 24 hours.

My concern is that OP's origin airport will probably need to print multiple baggage tags, which could cause error (human or otherwise) along the way. I would be really interested to know how that turns out. Please let us know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.