Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Checking baggage through on different Star Alliance tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2011, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze

I've booked the following flights across two different tickets, and am wondering if there is some way to check my baggage right through given that all airlines concerned are members of Star Alliance / codeshare partners:

EDI - LHR (BMI) (Ticket 1)
LHR - FRA (LH) (Ticket 2)
FRA - KBP (LH) (Ticket 2)

KBP - VIE (OS operated by VO) (Ticket 2)
VIE - LHR (OS) (Ticket 2)
LHR - EDI (BMI) (Ticket 1)

A bit concerned about having to take my baggage out at LHR and put it back in; in the past this caused me to miss a connecting flight on a different ticket and cost me a fortune. Also stupid given that I'm arriving into, and leaving from, Terminal 1.

Thanks for your help!
Old Jul 5, 2011, 8:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by go_around
I've booked the following flights across two different tickets, and am wondering if there is some way to check my baggage right through given that all airlines concerned are members of Star Alliance / codeshare partners:

EDI - LHR (BMI) (Ticket 1)
LHR - FRA (LH) (Ticket 2)
FRA - KBP (LH) (Ticket 2)

KBP - VIE (OS operated by VO) (Ticket 2)
VIE - LHR (OS) (Ticket 2)
LHR - EDI (BMI) (Ticket 1)

A bit concerned about having to take my baggage out at LHR and put it back in; in the past this caused me to miss a connecting flight on a different ticket and cost me a fortune. Also stupid given that I'm arriving into, and leaving from, Terminal 1.

Thanks for your help!
Welcome to FT!
You've had problems with separate PNRs and checked bags before and not learned your lesson?
Afraid you're going to have trouble with this plan too!
BD will not check through your bags from EDI to KBP as you're on separate PNRs - you will need to re-check at LHR with LH.
I can't speak for VO.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 9:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
My mom has been able to through-check on flights SFO-FRA-VIE on one ticket followed by VIE-SPU on a second without any problems (also via FCO) and also on the reverse. Ask nicely and see what they say in EDI and KBP (my guess is that KBP will do it w/o any problems; don't know about BMI).
Old Jul 5, 2011, 10:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by eefor jfp
My mom has been able to through-check on flights SFO-FRA-VIE on one ticket followed by VIE-SPU on a second without any problems (also via FCO) and also on the reverse. Ask nicely and see what they say in EDI and KBP (my guess is that KBP will do it w/o any problems; don't know about BMI).
BD has a policy of not checking through bags on separate PNRs, so the OP is wasting his/her breath in that regard.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
BD has a policy of not checking through bags on separate PNRs
Very good to know! So it turns out that these global alliances are not so global after all... I'll give it a try at EDI anyway, won't do any harm, hopefully I'll get someone incompetent who thinks it's fine/possible.

You've had problems with separate PNRs and checked bags before and not learned your lesson?
Last time I had 2 hours to get from T4 to T5 at LHR, but the train system wasn't working so I "missed check-in" (according to BA), even though I'd checked in online. I was hoping 2 hours would be enough to transfer in the same terminal, but LHR never ceases to amaze...

Welcome to FT!
And thanks - frequently read messages on here but never got round to joining! Hope to become more active!
Old Jul 6, 2011, 4:52 am

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Ive expereince lost baggage on 1 pnr on a star european airpass last year - imo best not to try unless you want major stress!!! and posssibly bags never recovered - mine were found by star alliance on intraeuropean sectors after 4 days even though i located them myself after 2 days expeditious return was refused
Old Jul 6, 2011, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by go_around
So it turns out that these global alliances are not so global after all... I'll give it a try at EDI anyway, won't do any harm, hopefully I'll get someone incompetent who thinks it's fine/possible.
not if they follow the rules
http://www.flybmi.com/bmi/en-gb/flig...-check-in.aspx
Old Nov 25, 2011, 10:34 am

Question Same thing! Checking in on three tickets

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and was looking for help with the same. I don't book tickets often and had to book a trip for my boss but I booked him on three separate tickets on Star Alliance for the following :

Outbound:
Ticket 1. GVA - FRA (LH)
Ticket 2. FRA - YYZ (AC)

Inbound:
Ticket 2.YYC - LHR (AC)
Ticket 3. LHR - GVA (SA)

Is there any way that we can have it so it is a through check in at GVA, so he doesn't have to check in again at FRA, and the same for his return when he checks in at YYC, he won't have to again at LHR?

Definitely learned my lesson with this! I hope it's possible.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 11:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by NewMoonMonday
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and was looking for help with the same. I don't book tickets often and had to book a trip for my boss but I booked him on three separate tickets on Star Alliance for the following :

Outbound:
Ticket 1. GVA - FRA (LH)
Ticket 2. FRA - YYZ (AC)

Inbound:
Ticket 2.YYC - LHR (AC)
Ticket 3. LHR - GVA (SA)

Is there any way that we can have it so it is a through check in at GVA, so he doesn't have to check in again at FRA, and the same for his return when he checks in at YYC, he won't have to again at LHR?

Definitely learned my lesson with this! I hope it's possible.
Welcome to FT!
Just curious why you bought three tickets instead of one? Cost?
It's certainly possible and likely probable for luggage that AC and AC will interline to the final destination. I would suggest your boss gets to the airport a little earlier and has his two PNRs ready for the check-in agent. If just hand baggage, he may be able to get BPs for both legs. It depends on the check-in agents. Also, it looks like ticket 3 is an SA codeshare as SAA doesn't fly LHR-GVA. Since it's *A, I'm sure his flight is on LX (Swiss).
Old Nov 28, 2011, 8:34 am

Thanks UAPremExecflyer!

Yes, we bought the tickets separately for costs and admittedly I wasn't aware of the check through issue that he would have to go through. May I ask what PNRs are? Would it be possible to speak with a LH agent on the phone and give them his AC information and have it linked prior to his arrival at the airport, therefore eliminating a check in at FRA? I believe it may be just hand luggage.

And sorry about the 'SA', you are right.. I meant LX as in Swiss Air. - Do you think AC will do the check through and two boarding passes on his return flight from Canada (through London to Geneva)?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 9:34 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Have him equipped with the ticket numbers PNR is NOT ENOUGH.(PNR = the bunch of letters you use on the website, usually something like A123BC, or another combination of the sort).
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Have him equipped with the ticket numbers PNR is NOT ENOUGH.(PNR = the bunch of letters you use on the website, usually something like A123BC, or another combination of the sort).
Thanks PVDtoDEL!... I guess that's the only option we have? Well, I guess it also doesn't hurt to ask LH (currently on hold with them) if they are able to do it - would be nice if this was an available option online when you check in!
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:19 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Thanks PVDtoDEL!... I guess that's the only option we have? Well, I guess it also doesn't hurt to ask LH (currently on hold with them) if they are able to do it - would be nice if this was an available option online when you check in!
Another thing to consider:

you said that your boss will not be checking bags. If that is the case, he could just check in online in advance. Then just fly normally. When the flight lands, follow the "connection" boards, etc. As long as he prints his boarding pass beforehand, nobody will care.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 4:38 pm

another thing to be aware of for next time, on a through ticket with connections, if the inbound flight is delayed for any reason and he misses the onwards flight, the airline have responsibility to get him to his final destination.
On separate tickets he is unlikely to get any help which can at times involve purchasing a new ticket
Old Nov 30, 2011, 3:36 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
I think he may have more luck with LH than with their problem child BD. I've certainly had them check my bags through to a non-*A alliance carrier booked on a separate ticket in the past without them batting an eyelid, although it is few years ago now. I can see advantages from their point of view - if the bag is delayed/damaged/lost it becomes the other carrier's problem! This becomes particularly pertinent if SA is involved (they have a self-confessed problem with what they call "bag pilfering").

Last edited by Passmethesickbag; Nov 30, 2011 at 3:41 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.