Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jtet
A number of threads have been started with members asking for guidance on which mileage programme they should join. In order to help users I have started this thread to allow people to post their requests for information here and to allow people to offer assistance.

For members asking for information please help people to assist you, can you provide:

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
(7) Preferred Airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)

GENERAL INFORMATION:

If you fly less than 50k miles per year: it is almost guaranteed that your choice will be between Aegean Airlines, Turkish Airlines, and Asiana Airlines. Please look up these airlines' frequent flier programs, and make a decision as to which best suits your needs.

Some considerations to take into account:

Airlines tend to treat members of their own frequent flier program better than members of other frequent flier programs. If you fly one of these airlines, it is recommended that you choose that airline.

Some airlines have better earning/redemption charts for your pattern. For example, if you fly on cheap fares on a certain airline often, Turkish might give you miles for it, while Aegean might not. However, Turkish Airlines might charge much more for the redemption that you want to make than Aegean.

Asiana Airlines offers lifetime Star Alliance Gold for 500k miles over life. The other 2 airlines do not offer this benefit.

Asiana Airlines has a credit card in the USA and some other countries. If you are interested in credit cards, check to make sure that the program that you join has a credit card in your country.
If you still aren't sure which frequent flyer program is for you after looking these up, feel free to ask on this thread.
Print Wikipost

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:18 am

You won't be able to get much flying so little in the cheapest fares. I think LH M&M program will be best, and you might get discounted intra-European Y flight once in every 2-3 years...
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by Oliver Voeglistuud
(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
FRA
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
cheapest economy fare
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
<25k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Premier, M&M Senator etc)
no status, no FFP yet, just starting the game
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
aiming at full ROI
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
Europe, Transpacific
(7) Preferred Airlines
Lufthansa
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)
Pleasure

I read some articles about FlyerTalk and got hooked. Now I would like to find out what is possible. I am grateful for any advice, helpful insights and assistance...
I'm not sure what you mean by "ROI", but with such little flying and in the cheapest fares possible it's difficult for you to achieve any significant earning. What I would do is to sign up with Miles and More (as it's the only program that will give you a little something for your flying) and get a M&M credit card as well.

Thanks to the card, your miles won't expire and if you put all your spending on the card you'll be able to collect enough to treat yourself to some higher cabin upgrades/awards once every couple of years.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by SGT C
Hello, all! I am hoping to get "back in the game" in 2017 after more than a decade hiatus. Previously, I was a loyal UA flyer (still have 100k miles banked) but I have heard that UA is not a good choice for a low cost, economy flyer like myself. Since I reside on the West Coast, I would like to stick with a *A airline. Also, I hope to get my children involved in traveling soon (they just got their passports). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

(1) What is your home airport? LAX
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Personal travel is cheapest economy fare; the rare business trip is full-fare economy
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? Goal is 50k in 2017 (five Pac Rim trips)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? Not anymore.
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Miles credit for cheap fares, good award redemption rates and upgrades.
(6) Which routes do you fly most often: LAX-NRT, LAX-SIN, LAX-LHR, LAX-ICN, LAX-HKG
(7) Preferred Airlines: Singapore Air
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Mostly pleasure.
I am going with Asiana unless anyone has any other guidance. Thank you for your assistance.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 8:19 am

Programs: MR AMB/LT, AA EP, TK EP, DL D, B6 M4, F9 100K, IHG AMB/D, HH D, CZR D, FndCd, Sixt D, NTL E, Hz PC
(1) Home Airport: SEA (and SFO (and to a lesser extent can fly ex-YVR/PDX))
(2) Which fare: Varies -- cheapest-Y, cheapest upgradeable Y, or discount C. F by mile redemption only.
(3) How many miles: ~150-200k total/yr, but many are on Alaska/Virgin. Could also run $5mm/yr or so via a credit card if needed.
(4) Status: I have VX Gold, about to AS MVP 75K, and UA Silver (via MR via SPG). Can status match to kick this off too if needed.
(5) Economy Plus access. Priority services (I often fly with a weapon or lots of gear so checked luggage); I'm fat so domestic-F upgrades are nice. Lounges are good but ok with paying for memberships or using Amex Plat access. Intl C upgrades would be great though (using miles or SWUs or whatever). Award redemption is nice, esp when non revenue based redemptions in premium cabins.
(6) US Transcon (SEA/SFO to JFK/IAD), transatlantic (mainly FRA, TXL), transpac (PEK/SHA/SZX), NRT, SIN, HKG). SEA/SFO to LAS. YUL and YTO. Probably going to start flying to more second/third tier US cities though. Mainly try to avoid flying *A domestic (AS/VX/etc instead), so this is mainly for international or for going to third-tier US cities.)
(7) NH, SQ, LH, NZ. Surprisingly ok with UA in intl C, AC C, etc. Flexible.
(8) Own my own company (lots of flexibility, but will set same policy for other people; generally our policy is "please maximize ff/etc. benefits without net cost to the company -- getting elite status saves us money, so do it.). Travel is work, business, and both.

(All things being equal I'd love LH SEN or SQ KF Gold, but I don't think I do enough paid premium cabin for it.)
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:30 pm
ckk

(1) What is your home airport?
VIE

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
Y (but I'd be willing to treat myself to the occasional C if it would also help my status)

(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year?
50-70K

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it?
No. I've been mixing all kinds of carriers without giving much thought to rewards programs, but I'd focus on a single program now.

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Primarily: Priority Check-in, Priority Boarding, Economical Upgrades
Secondarily: Lounge Access

(6) Which routes do you fly most often
VIE-LHR and VIE-MXP. VIE-MIA or similar twice per year.

(7) Preferred Airlines
OS and AB, because of convenience (non-stop from VIE to most major European destinations).

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure?
Almost exclusively for pleasure.

From my research so far, given my primary preferences in answer (5), my guess would be that UA MileagePlus would fit best because Premier Gold seems to be the most easily achievable: I get about 1.600 PQM towards the 50.000 for a flight operated by OS where OS would only give me 250 status miles via Miles & More.

Is my interpretation correct?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old Sep 30, 2016, 8:01 pm

Help build my star Alliance status: where do I put my Turkish Airlines

Hi Flyertslk!,

I have delta platinum medallion status and only familiar with Skyteam. Recently I purchased a Turkish airlines business class ticket ($6,000US) and not familiar with Star alliance. I have used Asiana in the past and would purchase United if I can get better deals domestically and add onto Star alliance. I will probably never ride Turkish airlines again unless their airfare is cheaper to Europe (1-2x/year).

My question is: do I make an account with Turkish airlines and add those miles OR add the flown miles to Asiana or United? I don't know anything BUT Skyteam rules and recently they changed so I don't accrue as many miles as I used to. I'd like to explore star alliance and not "waste" the Turkish miles.

More info:

- Most important for me is getting free flights (to LA, Hawaii, Asia) and domestic upgrades.
- I usually fly to Korea/Japan twice a year, Hawaii once a year, LA/SF 4x/year and Europe 2x/year . My home airport is JFK.
- The past 8 years, I've typically purchased economy or the cheapest flight available on Delta, KAL, JAL, and Air France for leisure and some business. I'm not picky about the airline I just want status and benefits.

I would really appreciate all your words of wisdom and experience in the star alliance world and how I can further accrue my status now and in the long term future. How do I start and what do I DO with my 6K Turkish flight?!!!
Arigato ~

Bonus question: is there a recommended credit card to help with mileage status? I currently have the Amex Platinum card
Old Sep 30, 2016, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Jc3818 Welcome to FT

Your question is off topic for this thread so I have asked a moderator to move

Originally Posted by Jc3818
I have delta platinum medallion status and only familiar with Skyteam. Recently I purchased a Turkish airlines business class ticket ($6,000US) and not familiar with Star alliance. I have used Asiana in the past and would purchase United if I can get better deals domestically and add onto Star alliance. I will probably never ride Turkish airlines again unless their airfare is cheaper to Europe (1-2x/year).

My question is: do I make an account with Turkish airlines and add those miles OR add the flown miles to Asiana or United? I don't know anything BUT Skyteam rules and recently they changed so I don't accrue as many miles as I used to. I'd like to explore star alliance and not "waste" the Turkish miles.

More info:
- Most important for me is getting free flights (to LA, Hawaii, Asia) and domestic upgrades.
- I usually fly to Korea/Japan twice a year, Hawaii once a year, LA/SF 4x/year and Europe 2x/year . My home airport is JFK.
- The past 8 years, I've typically purchased economy or the cheapest flight available on Delta, KAL, JAL, and Air France for leisure and some business. I'm not picky about the airline I just want status and benefits.

I would really appreciate all your words of wisdom and experience in the star alliance world and how I can further accrue my status now and in the long term future. How do I start and what do I DO with my 6K Turkish flight?!!!
Arigato ~

Bonus question: is there a recommended credit card to help with mileage status? I currently have the Amex Platinum card
Look ask ask here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...post-here.html

Living in NYC my first opinion is join UA ffp.

USA based airline ffp's tend to be more generous (status benefits/earn/burn/upgrades/award cost/award cash surcharges/expiry/affiliated credit card ff mile earning/promotions) compared to non USA based airline ffp’s (even after the recently announced changes to some USA ffp’s). But if you are not flying the airline of your ffp the useful benefits are somewhat limited.

But with the change of most USA based ffp's to revenue based, flying the airline with best fares and best schedule that matches your requirements now has merit. Taking the flight that best suits your budget & schedule and treating any ff miles as bonus that may or may not be able to used is now a solid alternative to staying with a single alliance.

The airline you fly most or an airline of the country you live is the best ffp for many people. Generally however you are better earning on your primary airline due to greater recognition, better service when disruptions, ability to upgrade flights and possible operational upgrades.

Earning miles from non flying activities is easier with an airline of your home country.

Credit cards do not help with frequent flyer status. Only with redeemable freq flyer miles. This can be lucrative. With UA you have many choices for getting miles from credit card spend.

Edit: (after thread moved)
Reading your post again, are you a now member of the Asiana or United ffp's?
Generally having multiple ffp's in the same alliance is not good idea, unless you fly each a lot.
http://www.wheretocredit.com/turkish-airlines

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 30, 2016 at 10:52 pm
Old Oct 1, 2016, 1:31 am
ckk

Originally Posted by ckk
VIE

Y (but I'd be willing to treat myself to the occasional C if it would also help my status)

50-70K

No. I've been mixing all kinds of carriers without giving much thought to rewards programs, but I'd focus on a single program now.

Primarily: Priority Check-in, Priority Boarding, Economical Upgrades
Secondarily: Lounge Access

(6) Which routes do you fly most often
VIE-LHR and VIE-MXP. VIE-MIA or similar twice per year.

(7) Preferred Airlines
OS and AB, because of convenience (non-stop from VIE to most major European destinations).

Almost exclusively for pleasure.

From my research so far, given my primary preferences in answer (5), my guess would be that UA MileagePlus would fit best because Premier Gold seems to be the most easily achievable: I get about 1.600 PQM towards the 50.000 for a flight operated by OS where OS would only give me 250 status miles via Miles & More.
I think I will go with UA MileagePlus. Looking at one of my most frequent flights VIE-LHR, for the cheapest roundtrip,

• Miles&More gives me 2x 125 status miles
  • A3 Miles&Plus gives me nothing
  • UA MileagePlus gives me 2x 795 PQM
  • (looking at OW, AB and BA would give me 2x 195)
I've done some basic calculations, and with M&M, I'd only be able to reach FTL, and then only if the "Silver Promotion" (30 segments) gets extended to 2017.

So just with my European travel, my annual PQM should be able to reach Premier Silver. Adding two international roundtrips, I might even be able to reach Premier Gold for *G. If I use any C at all, then it should even be easy.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 6:51 am

Hi all, appreciate anyone taking time out of their day to help...

ZRH

Eco-saver (Swiss, LH, Austrian)

100k miles / 40-70 segments

MM FTL (Swiss)

Lounge Access/priority via Gold (can't do anything with my Silver)

(6) Which routes do you fly most often?
Inside Europe + Europe to Asia

(7) Preferred Airlines
Not tied down really; Swiss because of the network out of ZRH, but then really I'm just open to anything (I mostly fly Emirates to Asia)

Choice is all mine (travel for both)

Thank you!
Old Oct 3, 2016, 2:16 am

(1) What is your home airport? LAX

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Economy

(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? <25K

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? None

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Good award redemption rates, priority services when flying the airline

(6) Which routes do you fly most often? Transpacific, mainly to Japan and South Korea

(7) Preferred Airlines: Not sure but ANA, Singapore and Asiana seem to offer the best price for where I want to go

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Travel for pleasure
Old Oct 3, 2016, 7:33 pm

(1) What is your home airport? (Currently at NRT-HND, But Home is IAH)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (J)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (>50k)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (M&M Frequent Flyer) and a bunch of gold, platinum in non-Star Alliance airlines
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Family Accounts options, Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (Transpacific, middle east, etc)
(7) Preferred Airlines (ANA, LH, United)
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Work mainly on Middle eastern airlines, but at least once a year in ANA or United all family flies back home in J)

I am actually looking to hear from you which will be the best program to accrue all the family members miles into one account similar to the options provided by EY, QR.., but with the less charges whenever booking with miles. I think ANA could be the main option, but If I am not wrong the surcharges when booking rewards is higher than other SA Members..
Old Oct 4, 2016, 4:43 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Hello,
following recent cuts at BA and AB, I'm starting to switch my travel from oneworld to Star Alliance. With my first *A in years coming within few weeks, I could use some advice on what programme to use.

First some info on my travel patterns: I mostly fly economy within Europe (for next year I expect mostly Nordic destinations) with one, max two business longhauls per year. If I'd stick to oneworld, sector qualification could be an option, however, I can't find anyone in Star Alliance who does that on alliance level (i.e. who counts sectors flown on any *A airline).

My goal is lounge access. Reward flights are nice but not a priority.

I'm considering following options:
Miles & More - This was my first thought as I'm based in VIE. However, it's not really easy to reach status on M&M. Frequent Traveller would give me lounge access on LH group which is nice but to get Frequent Traveller I'd need to fly almost as much that I could get *G at Turkish (with alliance-wide lounge access). If I made it to Senator, I don't see many programme-specific benefits I wouldn't get with *G from another airline.

SK Eurobonus - This would be good choice for some airline-specific benefits (and generally because I like to use FFP of airline I fly often). It also has reasonable threshold for *G. Downside is that earnings for cheaper booking classes are very low or none at all.

TK Miles & Smiles - This seems to be the easiest way: Not only they require less miles for *G than SK but miles are also earned much faster on cheap fares. Status is valid for two years and very easy to renew. However, I don't fly TK at all (which doesn't have to be problem).

My conclusion is TK Miles & Smiles. Would you say it's a good choice for me, or should I look into something else? Is there any *A FFP that allows you to qualify based on sectors flown on any *A airline?

Thank you!
Old Oct 4, 2016, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by the810
My conclusion is TK Miles & Smiles. Would you say it's a good choice for me, or should I look into something else? Is there any *A FFP that allows you to qualify based on sectors flown on any *A airline?

Thank you!
If you currently have status within OW, get a status match from TK and just go with that. Note that since this year the match requires a challenge, but nothing a cheap mileage run on TK to IST can't fix. The advantages of TK are clear (easy requalification), but redeeming awards is a pain.

M&M does offer a so-called "silver-promotion" where you can reach FTL with 30 segments on M&M airlines (NOT *A!), but if you fly in booking classes that accrue with TK I'd just go that. SEN is nice but unless you fly a lot in J or F it's very difficult to obtain (and then, if you fly J or F you don't really need status anyway).
Old Oct 4, 2016, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by LoungeBum
(1) What is your home airport? (Currently at NRT-HND, But Home is IAH)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (J)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (>50k)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (M&M Frequent Flyer) and a bunch of gold, platinum in non-Star Alliance airlines
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Family Accounts options, Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (Transpacific, middle east, etc)
(7) Preferred Airlines (ANA, LH, United)
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Work mainly on Middle eastern airlines, but at least once a year in ANA or United all family flies back home in J)

I am actually looking to hear from you which will be the best program to accrue all the family members miles into one account similar to the options provided by EY, QR.., but with the less charges whenever booking with miles. I think ANA could be the main option, but If I am not wrong the surcharges when booking rewards is higher than other SA Members..
The only family accounts I know of are A3 and TK. See their terms and decide whether either is better than NH for your purposes.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by the810
...following recent cuts at BA and AB, I'm starting to switch my travel from oneworld to Star Alliance. With my first *A in years coming within few weeks, I could use some advice on what programme to use.

First some info on my travel patterns: I mostly fly economy within Europe (for next year I expect mostly Nordic destinations) with one, max two business longhauls per year. If I'd stick to oneworld, sector qualification could be an option, however, I can't find anyone in Star Alliance who does that on alliance level (i.e. who counts sectors flown on any *A airline).

My goal is lounge access. Reward flights are nice but not a priority.
The grass in not always greener on the other side

You get lounge access based on class of travel or status. Earning status on short (Eu) economy fares will be hard on all carriers. Some low cost fares can earn little or nil redeemable ff miles/points. www.http://wheretocredit.com/

Be careful about miles/points expiry. In particular hard expiry, like with LH M&M.
Some, but not all ffp's are listed here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-t-expire.html (click to open the wiki)

And again the grass in not always greener on the other side. All grass in ffp's is now fading to dried up brown

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.