Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Advice on J travel from LHR-SYD: Thai or Asiana

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2010, 4:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold; BA Silver; GF Silver; HH Diamond, SPG Plat; IHG Plat

Title is fairly self explanatory - advice, opinions - particularly those who have done both as a comparison - on whether I should take Asiana or Thai in J from LHR to SYD.

Done Thai and not a big fan of thier slopey seats, also feel thier J class is not what it was 3 or 4 years ago (but then, that may apply to more than a few carriers).

Thanks in advance,
Caledonian
Old May 3, 2010, 5:15 am

Programs: BD*G
Originally Posted by Caledonian
Title is fairly self explanatory - advice, opinions - particularly those who have done both as a comparison - on whether I should take Asiana or Thai in J from LHR to SYD.

Done Thai and not a big fan of thier slopey seats, also feel thier J class is not what it was 3 or 4 years ago (but then, that may apply to more than a few carriers).

Thanks in advance,
Caledonian
The Thai lounge in the new BKK is nice if you have to wait. Not flown with Asiana so I cant comment there.
Old May 3, 2010, 6:23 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
I've done LHR-ICN and BKK-LHR in J about 9 months ago.

Asiana LHR-ICN is ok.
TG BKK-LHR is so-so.

OZ has seats quite similar to the TG J seats. The IFE AVOD screens are big though!

Drinks on OZ are limited - they list "cocktails" on the menu, but having seen the crew guide, they are all based on Jack Daniels Whiskey!

Agreed the BKK lounges are nice, but then again so are ICN's. BKK's are probably nicer considering the free foot or head massage and more natural light.

I though the crew on Asiana were younger, but their English was pretty bad. I had to resort to using the Korea guy next to me (he'd be opt-d up from Y) to get their attention and ask for things (e.g. they asked if I wanted a drink, I said yes please and so they walked on to assist the next passenger or if I wanted to grab their attention I would look at them and smile - they'd just smile back blushing. I think they got the wrong idea!

TG crew I found to be older and understood me much better.

I had a vegetarian meal; on OZ it was so-so, but on TG it was ridiculous (in a bad way). Just salad after salad with a side dish of salad (not to mention the thing identical oils/dressings that came with the meals). There were also some canapés at one point – I had to send mine back because they hadn’t been defrosted. One thing I did notice on OZ was that they offered garlic bread for dinner; it was lovely and soft and full of flavour. They must have used the same batch at the end of the flight though because if was offered again for breakfast but now was hard and dry.

TG upper deck of the 747 I found to be quite hot at times too.
TG also has the risk of equipment swaps.

Personally, if I have to choose between the two again, I will choose OZ.
Old May 3, 2010, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Due to the curent turmoil in Bangkok/Thailand it should be far easier to find premium seats on TG in the weeks to come.
Old May 3, 2010, 1:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
I did OZ LHR-ICN-SYD and ICN-LHR earlier this year, and TG LHR-BKK-LHR last September

Equipment-wise, they both have slopey seats, non-noise reducing headphones, so-so amenity kits and the risk of equipment swap. On TG this means the old 744s with cradle seats and 25% less legroom, while OZ has a 50:50 chance of No-VOD on their 777s. The blanket is much nicer on TG!

Timetable-wise, the OZ flight outbound is just nice - two evenly-spaced flights of about 10 hours each, both departing in the middle of the evening, and a leisurely 2-3 hr connection at ICN - enough time for a shower, stroll and to power up your wifi; the ICN lounge is also classier than the various BKK lounges, although of course there's no free massage. The OZ return involves an overnight at ICN though, and STPC (free hotel) only applies to paid tickets (i.e. not redemption). The plus-side to TG is two flights a day in both directions, although availability on SYD-BKK seems to be trickier (paid and redemption) on the mid-afternoon flight that connects best with LHR

Food and service-wise, I have to say that OZ wins hands down. TG you are at the whim of the mood of the flight attendants. OZ stewardesses may not speak English well, but nothing is too trouble for them. And the steaks and bibimbaps may get a little monotonous after 4 sectors, but, boy, are they tasty. By comparison, TG food is of economy class standards - in fact, at least one main course selection will be the same in J as in Y

So, in summary, the differences are much of a muchness - for me, OZ edges it on service and food. Neither of them has state-of-the-art hardware, but then you're probably paying at least a third less than SQ or BA
Old May 3, 2010, 1:48 pm
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
I'd toss a coin. Last June I flew LHR-BKK-SYD with TG and the BKK-SYD leg was very poor, awful old tatty equipment, but LHR-BKK was great. Lounge and massage at BKK both very nice. This February I flew SYD-ICN-LHR with OZ and concur with everything the previous posters have said. The lounge at ICN has individual rooms with self-operated massage chairs

Next time to SYD I'm flying TG BKK-SYD not through any preference for TG, but because I'm flying TK IST-BKK first (and on the way back I'm flying CX ).
Old May 3, 2010, 7:35 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
For me OZ would win hands done. Service wise it will be much better than any other airline. Hardware wise you will have a sloped seat with either PTV/AVOD.
Food is usually very good on OZ so are the drinks. I am not sure where the limited drink selection comment comes from.
Lounges in BKK and ICN are about the same, both nothing to write home about but still quite nice. OZ uses the QF lounge in SYD while TG uses the NZ lounge in SYD which gives TG a small edge.

But all in all, I wouldn't hesitate to take OZ for the much better service. The OZ board has many trip reports for FRA/LHR-ICN-SYD.
Old May 3, 2010, 10:43 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Lounges in BKK and ICN are about the same, both nothing to write home about but still quite nice. OZ uses the QF lounge in SYD while TG uses the NZ lounge in SYD which gives TG a small edge.
OZ have been using the NZ Lounge at SYD for over a year now, so TG have lost that edge,
Old May 4, 2010, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold; BA Silver; GF Silver; HH Diamond, SPG Plat; IHG Plat
Thanks for some really great advice. I sort of regret asking as availability on Asiana has gone, so I have ended up booking Thai instead (although F was available on LHR to BKK leg so that should be good!)

Thanks again
Caledonian

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.