Search
Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Connecting at MAD / Madrid Barajas International Airport
FEEL FREE TO EDIT OR ADD TO THIS WIKIPOST

Madrid airport layout

Terminals include

Terminal 1: International. Star Alliance primarily (also the only non-Schengen area outside of T4)

Terminal 2: Domestic mostly. SkyTeam primarily

Terminal 3: Schengen and some Domestic mostly. Air France/KLM/Lufthansa usually leave from here, but really it's just a slight extension on T2

Terminals 1-2-3 are adjacent and host Star and SkyTeam alliances and are all connected airside.

Terminal 4: one world including Iberia
Domestic and Schengen mostly from Terminal 4
International from Terminal 4-S (satellite) (Except IB or I2 operated flights to UK and Ireland as well as BA CityFlyer flights to LCY that operate out of T4 Main, though note that usually one IB flight to LHR daily is operated by an A330 or A340, these flights go from T4-S).
Both connected by an underground train, though going from T4-S to T4 requires going landside and re-clearing security in order to access T4.

Terminals are connected by a landside shuttle bus service.

Connecting from non-Schengen to Schengen (or departing the airport) one must process immigration in T-4S. Queues can be lengthy at times; if you are an EU citizen, you wil lfind the kiosk to your right in the queues. If you are not, keep to the right of the general queues anyway, as the EU queues can empty and they begin waving non-EU passengers into the EU lines.

The train connecting the T4-S satellite to T4 must be accessed via lifts or stairs; the lifts are faster. A non-Schengen to Schengen connection can take an hour or longer - A 1.5 hours is recommended as minimum connect times, and possibly more for Schengen to non-Schengen if during busy hours due to security procedures, particularly for US flights. Status passengers on Iberia flights to the US have access to a separate priority queue to clear the extra US screening.

Connections to other terminals are by a landside shuttle bus located, and can take rather longer than one might think as T4 is quite far away from T1/2/3. There is a metro link between the two, however you will have to pay full fare and even for a single rider a taxi is pretty competitive on price when the airport supplement is included.

Resources:

Link to Madrid Barajas Airport (World Airport Guides)

Link to AENA official MAD Madrid Barajas website by airport operator AENA

Wikipedia decent article on Madrid Barajas (with listings of airline gates and terminals - BUT caveat - it fails to differentiate between Terminal 4 and Terminal 4-S!)

Schengen Agreements nations information (with maps, etc.)
Print Wikipost

Connections through Madrid Airport

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2017, 4:25 pm

I will be flying into Terminal 4S from Frankfurt (LA 705) at 10:00pm. I depart from the same terminal 4S for São Paulo (GRU) on Iberia at 11:45pm. Unfortunately my connecting flight is on a separate PNR so I will have to collect my luggage and re-check it. How does that work when coming from a Schengen country and connecting to a non-Schengen country all within S4?

Is 1hr45min enough? I will be arriving in business class so that will help a little. Do I have to go to terminal 4 to check in my luggage, or can I collect and check-in all from Terminal 4S?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Brazilnut
I will be flying into Terminal 4S from Frankfurt (LA 705) at 10:00pm. I depart from the same terminal 4S for São Paulo (GRU) on Iberia at 11:45pm. Unfortunately my connecting flight is on a separate PNR so I will have to collect my luggage and re-check it. How does that work when coming from a Schengen country and connecting to a non-Schengen country all within S4?

Is 1hr45min enough? I will be arriving in business class so that will help a little. Do I have to go to terminal 4 to check in my luggage, or can I collect and check-in all from Terminal 4S?
This is extremely tight.

IB check-in closes for long-haul at T-55. That means you have a maximum of 50 mins to get:
- from gate down to the transit train from T4S to T4 - which could be a wait if you just miss one
- then collect your bag at T4 - which could potentially be a long wait if delivery is slow
- then back up to the check-in counter to drop your bag

It's possible if your flight is bang on time but you'll need to be lucky. If your flight has any sort of delay, you'll likely not make it.

For info I took that same LA flight FRA-MAD a couple of weeks ago and just checking my whatsapp, I sent a text from outside the front of T4 at 22:09 local, so we must have landed early and I got out quickly. However that was with no bags and of course some good fortune. I really would be extremely reluctant to attempt that connection on separate tickets with checked bags.

Last edited by Ldnn1; Jul 18, 2017 at 5:17 pm
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
This is extremely tight.

IB check-in closes for long-haul at T-55. That means you have a maximum of 50 mins to get:
- from gate down to the transit train from T4S to T4 - which could be a wait if you just miss one
- then collect your bag at T4 - which could potentially be a long wait if delivery is slow
- then back up to the check-in counter to drop your bag

It's possible if your flight is bang on time but you'll need to be lucky. If your flight has any sort of delay, you'll likely not make it.

For info I took that same LA flight FRA-MAD a couple of weeks ago and just checking my whatsapp, I sent a text from outside the front of T4 at 22:09 local, so we must have landed early and I got out quickly. However that was with no bags and of course some good fortune. I really would be extremely reluctant to attempt that connection on separate tickets with checked bags.
How does passport control work? I actually originate in Finland that morning, connecting through Frankfurt, then on to Madrid on PNR. My connecting flight from MAD to Brazil is on the seperate PNR. So when I arrive in MAD will I need to go through passport control? Would that be in Terminal 4S before I go to T4 to get my baggage?
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Brazilnut
How does passport control work? I actually originate in Finland that morning, connecting through Frankfurt, then on to Madrid on PNR. My connecting flight from MAD to Brazil is on the seperate PNR. So when I arrive in MAD will I need to go through passport control? Would that be in Terminal 4S before I go to T4 to get my baggage?
No passport control on arrival since you are coming from Schengen - just the train to T4.

You'd go through passport exit control in departures which could be a bit of a queue, but if - it's a big if - you manage to check in your bags by T-55 then you should just about make the flight. The difficulty will be getting to check-in on time.

As I said I wouldn't risk this on separate PNRs, unless you are comfortable with missing your flight to GRU and having to buy a new ticket.

Last edited by Ldnn1; Jul 19, 2017 at 8:24 am
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:21 am

Your problem is that when you arrive at the baggage claim in T4 your bag won't be there. It can commonly take up to 50 min from doors open until your bags show up for a T4S flight (although lately it is usually better). This would already leave you with no time to recheck the bag even if the FRA flight is on time.

Do not attempt that connection with checked bags.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:43 am

To hammer home the point, even without checked bags this would be a risky connection, given the cost of a last-minute rescue ticket to GRU could be very high.

With checked bags, it's pretty stupid.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
To hammer home the point, even without checked bags this would be a risky connection, given the cost of a last-minute rescue ticket to GRU could be very high.

With checked bags, it's pretty stupid.
Without checked bags and with online check-in, it's quite doable if everything is on time, as you'd have to connect T4S>T4S, which is just passport control (and maybe a security check)
Old Jul 19, 2017, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Palal
Without checked bags and with online check-in, it's quite doable if everything is on time, as you'd have to connect T4S>T4S, which is just passport control (and maybe a security check)
Yes but it's risky because the consequences of missing it on separate tickets are severe, even if the probability is relatively low without bags.

For OP with bags, the probability of missing it is very high, and the consequences are severe.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL PM/KM, AC *G, AS MVP-100K
No passport control on arrival since you are coming from Schengen - just the train to T4.
This flight is an exception to the usual rules because it continues to SCL. So as not to have the FRA-SCL pax deplane and go through passport control, all pax including those only on the FRA-MAD leg must exit Schengen at FRA. Baggage claim and recheck require passport control in T4S before boarding the train, and then again on your way to the GRU flight. Without checked bags you could just stay in the non-Schengen area of T4S.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by SkyBuck
This flight is an exception to the usual rules because it continues to SCL. So as not to have the FRA-SCL pax deplane and go through passport control, all pax including those only on the FRA-MAD leg must exit Schengen at FRA. Baggage claim and recheck require passport control in T4S before boarding the train
Is that so? Interesting! As I say I took this flight a few weeks ago but have no recollection as to whether or not I went through passport control on arrival at MAD. Not saying I didn't - I assumed not, but can't actually remember either way.

Last edited by Ldnn1; Jul 20, 2017 at 11:11 pm
Old Aug 4, 2017, 11:34 am

IB to IB transfer

Hi I'm flying from JFK-MAD on IB 6252 arriving at 10.15am & then MAD-RAK on IB 3340 leaving at 11.45am.

The flights are two separate reservations but are both operated by IB & my understanding is that both flights arrive & leave at T4s,

1) will IB interline my bags from JFK to RAK (on the phone Iberia say yes)
2) will I need to go through check-in again at MAD for the Second leg (traveling with kids)

thanks
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
i'm flying in on united at 730am and connecting to vueling to barcelona at 945. Already have boarding passes for both and hand luggage only. I feel like 2 hours will be fine? Should I take the shuttle bus to T4S and then the train to T4 or just get a cab to T4 directly?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:14 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
You will fly into T1. Go through passport control, take the bus to T4 and go through security and on to your gate. If all is on time, you'll have enough time.

T1>T4S shuttle is only operated for those that cannot enter Schengen and is not as frequent as the bus between T123 and T4.

Last edited by Palal; Aug 16, 2017 at 5:05 am
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Also, I agree that it's enough time if everything is on time, but it's not nearly as much time as you think it is. The terminals are quite far away from each other.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: Miles&More SEN; ITA Premium, Asante Gold, IHG Platinum, BAEC Bronze, Accor Silver, Radisson Premier
Deleted

Last edited by ChrisBub; Sep 3, 2017 at 1:42 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.