Search
Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Connecting at MAD / Madrid Barajas International Airport
FEEL FREE TO EDIT OR ADD TO THIS WIKIPOST

Madrid airport layout

Terminals include

Terminal 1: International. Star Alliance primarily (also the only non-Schengen area outside of T4)

Terminal 2: Domestic mostly. SkyTeam primarily

Terminal 3: Schengen and some Domestic mostly. Air France/KLM/Lufthansa usually leave from here, but really it's just a slight extension on T2

Terminals 1-2-3 are adjacent and host Star and SkyTeam alliances and are all connected airside.

Terminal 4: one world including Iberia
Domestic and Schengen mostly from Terminal 4
International from Terminal 4-S (satellite) (Except IB or I2 operated flights to UK and Ireland as well as BA CityFlyer flights to LCY that operate out of T4 Main, though note that usually one IB flight to LHR daily is operated by an A330 or A340, these flights go from T4-S).
Both connected by an underground train, though going from T4-S to T4 requires going landside and re-clearing security in order to access T4.

Terminals are connected by a landside shuttle bus service.

Connecting from non-Schengen to Schengen (or departing the airport) one must process immigration in T-4S. Queues can be lengthy at times; if you are an EU citizen, you wil lfind the kiosk to your right in the queues. If you are not, keep to the right of the general queues anyway, as the EU queues can empty and they begin waving non-EU passengers into the EU lines.

The train connecting the T4-S satellite to T4 must be accessed via lifts or stairs; the lifts are faster. A non-Schengen to Schengen connection can take an hour or longer - A 1.5 hours is recommended as minimum connect times, and possibly more for Schengen to non-Schengen if during busy hours due to security procedures, particularly for US flights. Status passengers on Iberia flights to the US have access to a separate priority queue to clear the extra US screening.

Connections to other terminals are by a landside shuttle bus located, and can take rather longer than one might think as T4 is quite far away from T1/2/3. There is a metro link between the two, however you will have to pay full fare and even for a single rider a taxi is pretty competitive on price when the airport supplement is included.

Resources:

Link to Madrid Barajas Airport (World Airport Guides)

Link to AENA official MAD Madrid Barajas website by airport operator AENA

Wikipedia decent article on Madrid Barajas (with listings of airline gates and terminals - BUT caveat - it fails to differentiate between Terminal 4 and Terminal 4-S!)

Schengen Agreements nations information (with maps, etc.)
Print Wikipost

Connections through Madrid Airport

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2018, 4:45 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by morninglemon
I'll be flying JFK-MAD, arriving MAD T1 at 11:30 a.m. I have to catch a train at Chamartin at 1:05 p.m. US passport, checked bag. Will I make it midday on a weekday?? I was planning on taking the AENA shuttle bus from T1 to T4, then Cercanias to Chamartin. Or should I not risk it and go for a cab instead?
I'd say that it's not impossible if things arrive on time and if you don't have checked bags. If you have a checked bag, I'd expect to be out at 12:30PM. The drive is about 20 minutes, so that leaves very little margin for error.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by Bam0822
I have almost the same issue with a connecting flight in Madrid. Will be arriving from Miami on Iberia flight at 7:50am with connecting Iberia 8:50am flight to Naples. Not sure if I will arrive at T4 or T4s. I will have only carry on luggage, everything else checked on to Naples. I assume I will have to go thru immigration and security. Is 1 hour enough time to accomplish that and still make my flight?
If it's a single ticket, it's tight but doable. You'll arrive in T4S, go through immigration, take the train to T4, go through security and then on to your flight. Don't stop to shop, take the elevators down to and up from the train.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Palal
I'd say that it's not impossible if things arrive on time and if you don't have checked bags. If you have a checked bag, I'd expect to be out at 12:30PM. The drive is about 20 minutes, so that leaves very little margin for error.
Sounds like I'm going to be taking a cab just to be safe, and even safe means "possibly might miss my train."
Old Feb 5, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA G MM, AS 75K MVP, Delta Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Gold, PC Spire
Just realized that I have a one hour connection in Madrid. Delta ticket - arriving on Air Europa (terminal 2) from Vigo at 10am and departing for Atlanta on Delta from terminal 1 at 11am. After reading the above it sounds like this is almost impossible. Delta sold the connection - is it still considered legal? Thanks!!
Old Feb 6, 2018, 12:10 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by jmmlaguna
Just realized that I have a one hour connection in Madrid. Delta ticket - arriving on Air Europa (terminal 2) from Vigo at 10am and departing for Atlanta on Delta from terminal 1 at 11am. After reading the above it sounds like this is almost impossible. Delta sold the connection - is it still considered legal? Thanks!!
This is no issue at all as you will arrive and walk directly into the T123 departures area. So you just have to walk to the gate and pass through passport control and the final US control. It could be a 10+ minute walk or so depending on what gate you arrive to, but it's perfectly doable.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by jmmlaguna
T2 to T1 is an easy 10-15 walk airside. This is not T4 that we're talking about Once you arrive in T2, turn left, do not exit the secure area, and keep walking until you reach T1. You'll pass through passport control somewhere along the way. Totally doable even if your plane arrives a bit late.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
How long does it take for a Non-Schengen to Schengen Connection? Trying to do United->Air Europa both in Terminal 1. Arriving at 9:25AM and trying to see if I can make a 10:45AM flight with no checked bags.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 1:07 am

I would say possible if you can be one of the first people off the plane, but there is basically no room for error for any delays.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by expressboy
How long does it take for a Non-Schengen to Schengen Connection? Trying to do United->Air Europa both in Terminal 1. Arriving at 9:25AM and trying to see if I can make a 10:45AM flight with no checked bags.
If things are on time - easily doable. 30 mins to get off the plane and through passport control, 10 to go through security and walk to your new gate (I'm assuming OLCI).
Old Feb 10, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
I would say possible if you can be one of the first people off the plane, but there is basically no room for error for any delays.
Originally Posted by Palal
If things are on time - easily doable. 30 mins to get off the plane and through passport control, 10 to go through security and walk to your new gate (I'm assuming OLCI).
Thanks folks. I will let you know how it goes.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:40 pm

Madrid terminal 4S connection

Arriving from LAX to MAD terminal 4S, then departing to TLV from terminal 4S, and returning the same route, all on Iberia.
How much time is needed between the flights? Do I have to go through any kind of security and/or passport check when arriving from the US or Israel within terminal 4S. Carry-on luggage only. Thank you.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by HenryY
Arriving from LAX to MAD terminal 4S, then departing to TLV from terminal 4S, and returning the same route, all on Iberia.
How much time is needed between the flights? Do I have to go through any kind of security and/or passport check when arriving from the US or Israel within terminal 4S. Carry-on luggage only. Thank you.
You will have to go through security and that's it. MCT is something like 40 minutes, but it can be done in even less. On the way to LAX it might be a bit more for the line for secondary US screening.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:42 am

Question about transit at Terminal 4S

Need the experts here to help.

Will be transitting MAD Terminal 4S as follows:

Flying in from Hong Kong on Cathay (CX) at Terminal 4S , transitting for BA to LHR also at Terminal 4S.

Business Class.

Luggage checked through to LHR.

EU passport.

Originally, there was about 2.5 hours, so should be very comfortable.

Now, CX departs a bit late and there is only 1 hour and 15 min.

Is it necessary to go landside at all?

Can the experts please advise what to do and what to expect.

Thank you very much.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
One ticket? I don’t know whether your delay is hypothetical but you should be ok. Two tickets mean you wouldn’t necessarily be able to check through, and I’d be worried.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:30 pm

Don't know why you think delay may be hypothetical. It is real. Announced by CX and confirmed on Expertflyer.

Would appreciate being advised whether one needs to go landside at all? If so, directions and procedure? Need to clear security again? Directions and procedure? Thank you.

Last edited by IncyWincy; Apr 9, 2018 at 12:35 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.