Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New printed flight schedule - bad timing??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2009, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
New printed flight schedule - bad timing??

I picked up the new printed flight schedule, dated 28 June. 265 pages!!

Note that the majority of flights changed on 6 JULY. So they had to print the 28 Jun - 5 Jul schedule and then also the 6 July and on (in red) in the book. Well over 60% of the schedule was for the later dates because they put "effective 6 July on a line below the later schedule.

If they are trying to save money, why not just withdraw all the books about 20 June and then not replace until 6 July with only the later schedule?? Would have saved about 150 pages. After all, who depends on these books -- which are not at all stations all the time anyway.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 4:08 pm

Location: Midwest United States (and anywhere a cheap fare takes me)
Programs: Marriott (Gold), Hilton (Gold), SWA (CP), Hertz (5*), UA (Nobody), AA (Lifetime Gold)
It's a "Retro" Thing

I noticed a copy of the schedule by the door of our SFO-MDW plane yesterday. I commented to my wife that when we started flying SWA the schedule was more like a pamphlet. She noted the the current one looks like a telephone book. (And, IMHO, is about as useless.)

Agree with you on the cost, SAPMAN, not to mention the environmental impact. Other than their "collectable value" ("Props" to Red Belly Radio), do they really sell tickets?
Old Jul 6, 2009, 5:10 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
plus at least one mistake

MSY-PIT shows no afternoon flights in the pamphlet/phone book, but several choices at southwest.com
Old Jul 6, 2009, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
In this day & age of computers, are printed timetables really necessary? This seems so quaint.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 6:22 pm

Programs: WN CP
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
In this day & age of computers, are printed timetables really necessary? This seems so quaint.
WN surveyed Customers about schedule use back in January. I would not be surprised to see them disappear soon.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 2:49 am

Programs: AA PLT, WN A-List, Avis First
It sounds like I'm one of the few that religiously carry a schedule. I was lamenting the fact that the March 8th ones were no longer valid but the new ones weren't printed yet.

I have the "honor" of being on call all the time. It is sadly not uncommon for me to be told "You're going to LAX/DAL/MCO/MEX...RIGHT NOW!", and in those cases (except MEX, of course) the schedule is easiest to use. This is doubly true for determining the possibility of rebooking for an earlier flight. I appreciate that the mobile site is much improved, but it is still a little buggy and doesn't work in the concrete basements I end up in oh-so-frequently.

A number of my co-workers also swear by the printed schedule for the same reasons, but I realise we are in the minority. It will be a sad day for us all if it goes away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.