Search

Paper schedules might disappear

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:14 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Paper schedules might disappear

As many of you know, Southwest is the only major US airline that still prints paper schedules. I just participated in an email survey (no bonus credits, sorry) that ended with the following question:
You indicated that you use the Published Flight Schedule Booklet to check flight schedules for Southwest Airlines. How often do you use this booklet when traveling or planning trips with Southwest?
Always
Frequently
Occasionally
Never
From this, I surmise that Southwest is considering discontinuing paper schedules. IMHO, that might be a good decision. I've used the paper schedules before to help me make last-minute plan changes, but most of those times I was not far in space or time from Internet access. The paper schedule is a security blanket, and deleting it would lighten my travel bag by a few ounces. I might load a pdf schedule onto my laptop, or I might just do without.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:17 pm

I think this was tried once before and SWA backed off after complaints. Now, the time might be right.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 5:11 pm

Programs: US Silver; WN A-List; Marriott Plat Premier
I've looked at them at the counter but never really used them. I"d be fine with it. I would hope they would have an online equivalent that was similar.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 5:12 pm

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
I was blissfully unaware of their existence.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 5:37 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Ironically, I happened past a bunch on the counter last Thursday while passing through MDW and thought to myself, "why"?
Old Jan 26, 2009, 5:51 pm

Programs: WN CP
Originally Posted by kerflumexed
I think this was tried once before and SWA backed off after complaints.
You think?! You should know! You posted about their demise last time:
Originally Posted by kerflumexed
I understand that the printed timetable/schedule is now history. There will not be one for October (a cost cutting measure). SWA may have been one of the last carriers to publish system schedules for customers.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 6:43 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by curbcrusher
You think?! You should know! You posted about their demise last time:
I shudder to think about all the things that I have said on FT that I shouldn't have said which Curbcrusher will quote back to me.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 6:45 pm

Programs: WN CP
Originally Posted by lougord99
I shudder to think about all the things that I have said on FT that I shouldn't have said which Curbcrusher will quote back to me.
Keep posting, my friend.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 7:14 pm

Programs: WN A-list/CP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Plt,*wood Plt,F9 Summitt, Hyatt Diamond,
I just clutched my Nov '08 printed copy of the schedule............oh be still my heart!
Ok, I had the same survey and said no to the demise! The way the schedule changes who cares!
Old Jan 27, 2009, 8:17 am
In Memoriam - Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Southwest spokesperson
Originally Posted by lougord99
Well unless he has a master erase button, everything Crusher wrote is still online too.

Seriously, we did eliminate the printed schedules one other time, and the uproar was that for many business travelers who were away from their computers, they used the schedules to find an earlier or later flight. Of course that was before the proliferation of web-abled portable devices. If we do discontinue them, I will be sad. I have been collecting timetables since 1959 (as a kid), and I love too just go back and read them from time to time.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 8:56 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I always try to have one when I travel and I do like that they have it, but quite frankly even I would agree it's probably a waste of resources.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 9:02 am
Suspended

Paper schedules are more useful than were at other airlines because Southwest's flights don't just fly to and from 2-4 major hubs. One can learn of new flights and construct intineraries. I keep and use the timetables.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, WN A-list, AS MVP 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I get a new one in the mail (as a freight forwarder) hot off the press every time it comes out. It goes straight into the recycling bin.

I personally don't see use use for it, but I'm sure there are those that do.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 1:45 pm

Programs: SWA RR
I saw the paper schedule at the airport last time I was there and picked it up thinking, "This can't be around much longer".

Does anybody remember when these schedules had the flight prices listed? Back when there was one price for M-F flights between 8:00 and 5:00 (7:00?) and another price for weekend and evening flights?

I'm sure it's not "if", but "when" the last schedule is published. I hope SWA Brian can give this FT crowd a heads up when this happens - I would make it a point to go to the airport to get one as a memento.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 9:08 am
In Memoriam - Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Southwest spokesperson
Originally Posted by Appletom
I saw the paper schedule at the airport last time I was there and picked it up thinking, "This can't be around much longer".

Does anybody remember when these schedules had the flight prices listed? Back when there was one price for M-F flights between 8:00 and 5:00 (7:00?) and another price for weekend and evening flights?

I'm sure it's not "if", but "when" the last schedule is published. I hope SWA Brian can give this FT crowd a heads up when this happens - I would make it a point to go to the airport to get one as a memento.
If I know ahead of time, I will let y'all know

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.