Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Singer Sued For Angry Tweets About Southwest Airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2013, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Next time you go on a Twitter rant, you could be opening yourself up to litigation.

Defendant (accomplished Christian music performer Natalie Grant) posted a number of complains about the Plaintiff’s service (the Plaintiff is a boarding agent for Southwest Airlines), in which Defendant: mentioned Plaintiff by name; complained about a boarding decision involving Defendant’s child; and generally made a mountain out of a molehill regarding a trivial inconvenience.

Ultimately, the Court found that the tweets did not rise to the level of actionable defamation, but the Court found that the personally identifiable statements about the Plaintiff could constitute actionable false light/invasion of privacy.
http://www.businessinsider.com/nashv...rlines-2013-10
Old Oct 17, 2013, 3:55 am

Kudos to WN for not allowing the *alleged* nitwit to get her own way.

"Grant had purchased Business Select tickets for herself and one child, but not for her other children and her husband, who were traveling with her, Nashville Scene reports. When she tried to board early with her entire family, she was told that only those passengers with Business Select tickets could come along, according to Patterson's lawsuit."
Old Oct 17, 2013, 11:16 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Sounds like Grant may be a DYKWIA. However, if the GA truly said, “get over it. Follow the rules. Or don’t fly,” then I see a major customer service issue that WN hopefully addressed.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 11:23 am

Naming the GA was the problem. Tweet away about disappointing customer service issues, just don't publicly name an employee.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:08 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Michael El
Sounds like Grant may be a DYKWIA. However, if the GA truly said, “get over it. Follow the rules. Or don’t fly,” then I see a major customer service issue that WN hopefully addressed.
Well, since she seems like a major DYKWIA, I would not be surprised if that was not the first thing the GA said, but rather how the exchange ended. I would still side with the GA on this one.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:15 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
GA is right. Grant is a DYKWIA. However, I don't understand how "false light/invasion of privacy" is a legal cause of action. Though in poor taste and I would not do it, I thought I had the right to "rant away" by name on anybody I please as long it isn't slanderous. Grant's rant doesn't make me think the agent is bad.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bowgie
GA is right. Grant is a DYKWIA. However, I don't understand how "false light/invasion of privacy" is a legal cause of action. Though in poor taste and I would not do it, I thought I had the right to "rant away" by name on anybody I please as long it isn't slanderous. Grant's rant doesn't make me think the agent is bad.
Slander is spoken defamation. Libel is written defamation. False Light is a species of defamation that, as the name implies, may be true but, nonetheless, creates a false impression about the subject of the defamation.

For what it's worth, this Grant person sounds detestable. "What am I supposed to do? She's four!" And boasting that the 1-year old left a "surprise" on the plane. Disgusting example of a entitlement-demanding, self-centered parent.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:29 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by PTravel
"What am I supposed to do? She's four!" And boasting that the 1-year old left a "surprise" on the plane.
How very Christian of Grant...
Old Oct 17, 2013, 1:27 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by PTravel
For what it's worth, this Grant person sounds detestable. "What am I supposed to do? She's four!" And boasting that the 1-year old left a "surprise" on the plane. Disgusting example of a entitlement-demanding, self-centered parent.
She also needs to learn how to spell. Her tweet was actually, "She decided to leave them a gift on their plain." (emphasis added).

Ultimately, I am sure she spent far more on legal fees than it would have cost to upgrade the other tickets to BS so they could all board together.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 1:29 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
I know nothing of Southwest's FF program, but if Ms Grant actually does fly Southwest 75 times/year, it comes as a surprise that she doesn't fit into some sort of higher-level elite category that includes perks that would extend to those traveling with her. Even United lets me, a Plat (75k miles/year) bring eight people with me into E+.

Which brings me to question either Ms Grant's claim that she flies 75x with Southwest each year, or Southwest's loyalty program in general. There is no excuse for a passenger berating an FA or GA as she did, especially in public (such things would be better handled via phone call or email), but there's been no evidence I've seen anywhere else of an airline deciding it would only allow nice, reasonable people into its upper elite tiers. Thus it kind of surprises me that Southwest wasn't already flagging her for special treatment.

But if it were my airline and someone treated my employees like that in person, and then went on to berate them on-line, I would have to at least consider firing the customer (assuming that my employees had handled things properly). Of course, the way these things typically play out, it's multiple people having bad days at the same time, everybody digging in and nobody deciding that it might be best to turn down the volume. Hate that.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 1:34 pm

Southwest has no elite level perk allowing accompanying pax to jump boarding order; its well known, if somewhat of a sore spot. The GA followed policy.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 1:41 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by tusphotog
How very Christian of Grant...
Ms. Grant, WWJD?

(sorry for the Christian-speak)
Old Oct 17, 2013, 2:13 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by ursine1
Southwest has no elite level perk allowing accompanying pax to jump boarding order; its well known, if somewhat of a sore spot. The GA followed policy.
Thanks. I can see that leading to some misunderstandings if someone was used to flying on other carriers, but there's no evidence of that excuse being available to Ms Grant. And at 75 trips per year, she should know Southwest's policy very well.

OT but are you saying that if I were an elite on Southwest, and my wife wasn't, that she couldn't board early with me (without paying a fee)?
Old Oct 17, 2013, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat,AS MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat, Amtrak(all routes, VIA same, AUS 90%)
Get what you pay for...

Cannot speak with authority having flown 2X SW(that was sufficient!) but my experience...wait at GA counter for some check-in info all the while at podium(new to me, that..)GA is tending to paperwork-no pax. fter 5-7 minutes I ask when someone will be at counter, he says, "I'm right here." Huh? Did he think I was just needing an elbow rest? Following ""Mr Toad's Wild Ride," boarding, we are asked to de-board for starboard engine check. Standing in the jetway that engine, in my estimation goes to 80% of power.
Estimated noise level 110db. Just 15 feet from where we are standing.

Always amazed at SW customer loyalty-apologies for going off-topic.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by jake108
Cannot speak with authority having flown 2X SW
At least you're honest about your lack of sufficient data points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.