Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SW gates at Midway

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2013, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

SW gates at Midway

I have a tight connection in Midway to Seattle. Are all SW's gates in the same concourse, or might I have to switch? I'll be traveling with my grandmother who may or may not need wheelchair assistance, so I want to be prepared for how rushed we'll need to be.
Old May 5, 2013, 12:25 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
No they ain't and there can be some horrible lengthy treks like B22 to A10. Or they can be side by side, you never know. They probably won't leave without you but seat selection could be an issue. Best to let someone know especially if a wheelchair is involved, maybe insist on it in advance just in case. I'm sure others with more "pre-board" experience will chime in here...
Old May 5, 2013, 2:11 pm

Programs: Southwest | A-list preferred + CP || Marriott | Gold
Originally Posted by GroverL
I have a tight connection in Midway to Seattle. Are all SW's gates in the same concourse, or might I have to switch? I'll be traveling with my grandmother who may or may not need wheelchair assistance, so I want to be prepared for how rushed we'll need to be.
How long until these flights? Within a day or so of them, you could probably find out the gate assignments on flightaware.com or somewhere similar, and then formulate a plan.

As the other responder said, you could probably pre-board with your grandmother, sit right in the front, and then get off as soon as the plane parks. The flight attendants are usually pretty good about helping people with connections. Also, MDW has a bunch of high-school age looking people who transport wheelchair passengers around the airport.

MDW is basically a Y-shaped terminal, and Southwest takes up almost the entirety of 2 prongs of the Y, so if your connections are on opposite ends, it could take awhile. That said, most of the flights do go in and out of the B-concourse, so hopefully you don't have much of a walk.
Old May 6, 2013, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
The worst case scenario involves gate A4A/A4B, which is a good two blocks away from any other gate.

If you go to maps.google.com, put in Midway Airport Chicago IL, and then switch to Satellite view, Southwest has the biggest concourse (B), the half of the one below it furthest from the terminal (rough A9-A23) and the two little planes at the bottom south of 60th street (A4A and A4B).
Old May 6, 2013, 7:08 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
The worst case scenario involves gate A4A/A4B, which is a good two blocks away from any other gate.

If you go to maps.google.com, put in Midway Airport Chicago IL, and then switch to Satellite view, Southwest has the biggest concourse (B), the half of the one below it furthest from the terminal (rough A9-A23) and the two little planes at the bottom south of 60th street (A4A and A4B).
Oh yeah, that is quite a hike, I had to transfer there in December while holding an A1 boarding pass and was in a panic running in from the food court thinking I would loose the spot. 2 long city blocks for sure...
Old May 6, 2013, 8:05 pm

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by joshua362
Oh yeah, that is quite a hike, I had to transfer there in December while holding an A1 boarding pass and was in a panic running in from the food court thinking I would loose the spot. 2 long city blocks for sure...
In all my years of flying out of MDW I never knew those two gates existed! I'm certainly glad I've never had to make that hike.
Old May 6, 2013, 8:11 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
They have only recently been Southwest gates, though I believe they were Southwest gates a long time ago. For a while they were unused. At different times they have been ATA gates and Airtran gates.

At least now they have some amenities out there.
Old May 6, 2013, 8:45 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lougord99
They have only recently been Southwest gates, though I believe they were Southwest gates a long time ago. For a while they were unused. At different times they have been ATA gates and Airtran gates.

At least now they have some amenities out there.
Cab fare out there would be $20+tip.

Like normalone, I had no idea they were there.

Last edited by InkUnderNails; May 6, 2013 at 8:54 pm
Old May 6, 2013, 8:56 pm

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
I agree with Josh.

I've seen instances where the boarding agent ask the FA to save certain seats for a connecting wheelchair passenger before.
Old May 7, 2013, 1:12 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by GroverL
I'll be traveling with my grandmother who may or may not need wheelchair assistance, so I want to be prepared for how rushed we'll need to be.
Get the wheelchair assistance, even if Granny is able to walk ok. As other's have said, it can be a LONG hike (I've done it enough to know) from the end of B to the end of A. Thankfully I haven't had to do that B24 to A4B before.

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
Two blocks? They're halfway to St Louis!

Perhaps the people who assign gates for WN monitor passenger lists to find people they don't like. If they don't like you, you get sent from B24 to A4B.
Old May 7, 2013, 5:26 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Cab fare out there would be $20+tip.

Like normalone, I had no idea they were there.
Great use of our image embedding capability, Ink!
Old May 7, 2013, 7:52 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nsx
Great use of our image embedding capability, Ink!
Thanks!

Well, I am a printer. Image manipulation is what we do.

For those that want to know, Google Maps, Snipping tool to cut, opened in Corel image editor and added the ellipse, saved as jpeg, uploaded to my Photobucket library, sized to fit page, and generated a link.

Piece of cake.
Old May 8, 2013, 7:00 am

Programs: SWA A-List Preferred and Companion Pass holder, AirTran A+ Elite, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Anyone know the backstory on those two gates?

It seems like it was a ton of work to add in the concourse, and now the big seating area out there, just for two gates?

Is there some way they can expand that in the future?

Its always hit me as strange!

Any ideas?
Old May 8, 2013, 7:34 am

Seems like it's an ATA-AirTran-Southwest thing.

Starting in early 2009, a construction project added a new walkway and food court to Concourse A. The project also connected gates A4A and A4B to the main A concourse. Expansions were completed in the spring of 2010.
Source.

Where does it say FL uses C2? I checked Arrivals/Departures for AirTran and it listed A4A, A10, and A12. I know they also use A4B when they are busy, and AirTran has leased those four gates in Concourse A. Continental has leased out all 3 gates (C1, C2, C3) in Concourse C, and Delta subleases C1 from COA since they don't have near enough flights/day to use all three. Sox23 22:35, 28 November 2007 (UTC)
Source.

Yesterday I had the pleasure of flying ATA BOS-MDW-DFW & was fortunate enough to depart from Gate A4B at MDW.

For those of you who haven't had the honor of departing from one of those gates, picture this:
Source. Hit the link and check the photo. Funny.

In early 2009, building set about on an enlargement of Concourse A. The new area will replace the being walk to entrances A4A and A4B, and will characteristic new grants and a new maintaining appartment. The labor is scheduled to be complete in Spring 2010.
Source. Grammar and spelling in original.

Interactive map.

Yes, you have to zoom out to see them.
Old May 8, 2013, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
The other interesting gate at Midway is A8. It exists and has re-emerged after some of the construction. But it has no seating area or even a place for customers to wait, just stairs to go downstairs. Needless to say, nothing seems to ever operate from there.

I get the impression that the stairs lead to the same walkway under A1-A3 for international arriving passengers, but I have never been able to verify that. The next time I get shunted out to A4A, I'll have to go over to the windows and look back at A8.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.