Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

New boarding policy: A-listers with B's or C's can board after A60

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat

Last night while connecting in SMF, they made the announcement that A and A+ with higher boarding #s can board after the A group. Has anyone else heard this or was it just one GA? I think it is a great idea for the times when you have your flight changed because of delays and your high A becomes a B/C
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:21 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Took a couple of flights last week; heard the same announcement on the first, but not the second. Would have been ugly if attempted on the second, as the ENTIRE B group appeared to consist of A-listers, I had B-20 (even after checking in T-23:50), A group of BS, A+...
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:00 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
If correct, this change would take a lot of the sting out of the creation of $40 Upgraded Boarding.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nsx
If correct, this change would take a lot of the sting out of the creation of $40 Upgraded Boarding.
Possibly. Although, on several occasions the GA marked my BP so I could board after the A group.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 2:42 pm
Suspended

I asked a colleague at Southwest about this.

According to her, this is a new practice that was supposed to start yesterday (January 21).
Old Jan 22, 2013, 3:06 pm

Programs: WN A-List
Nice, no more family pre-boarders sneaking on ahead of elites. Must really stink to get a B boarding pass as an A-Lister though.

One added bonus will be going standby for an earlier flight. No more middle seats in that scenario unless there's a ton of through passengers.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by flight1352
I asked a colleague at Southwest about this.

According to her, this is a new practice that was supposed to start yesterday (January 21).
Please ask your colleague: what happens when the flight has a large number of A, A+, to where the B group consists primarily / entirely of A, A+?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 4:19 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by diver858
Please ask your colleague: what happens when the flight has a large number of A, A+, to where the B group consists primarily / entirely of A, A+?
I'm pretty sure a 7AM Monday intra-CA flight would be where you'd see that and I have NEVER seen anything approaching it. I have gotten A42 at the very bottom of the A+ totem pole, and there is no way that there were 80 A-listers behind me. Maybe 20 or 30 tops.

This morning's flight had only 70 or so. Non-Evo 700. Wifi equipped but not working. It was like a trip in time back to the good old days!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:41 am

Any chance an official Southwest rep could jump in here and verify that this is indeed policy?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:52 am

Programs: Frequent Flyer
Yes - this was rolled out with the new BS $40 advance boarding option. Based on feedback from surveys, they have added this to assist those A+, A+ Preferred who may have inadvertently received a B boarding pass (due to changes to their itinerary or any other reason).

Disclaimer: I am a WN employee but not a WN spokesperson.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by nsx
I'm pretty sure a 7AM Monday intra-CA flight would be where you'd see that and I have NEVER seen anything approaching it.
Close - SJC to SAN, Thursday afternoon, Feb 17 - flight 243, 5:40 pm. I am A-list, checked in T-23:55, booked the ticket on Dec 11, received B20. Without being too intrusive, I scanned boarding cards of those in the A group, all appeared to be A+.
As it is a popular flight, WN uses Evolve -800, so the sardine can is packed to the gills.
Gate Agent claimed that less than 40 people checked bags, was attempting to encourage people in high B, C to do so in advance, as there would not be overhead space.

While some claim to have never seen it, this is the reality at least some of us live.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Eemraldskies
Yes - this was rolled out with the new BS $40 advance boarding option. Based on feedback from surveys, they have added this to assist those A+, A+ Preferred who may have inadvertently received a B boarding pass (due to changes to their itinerary or any other reason).

^
Thanks!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Eemraldskies

So... any chance an official Southwest rep could jump in here and verify that this is indeed policy?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 1:01 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ursine1
So... any chance an official Southwest rep could jump in here and verify that this is indeed policy?
I have it on good authority that this is now official policy. I'm guessing we'll see an announcement of this together with the upgraded boarding. I'm a little surprised that Southwest did not announce it when it started, but they must have their reasons.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
I have it on good authority that this is now official policy. I'm guessing we'll see an announcement of this together with the upgraded boarding. I'm a little surprised that Southwest did not announce it when it started, but they must have their reasons.
Southwest already announced Upgraded Boarding, albiet poorly:

Southwest Airlines Offers New Boarding Option

I would presume that the new policy would be best communicated to A-List customers directly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.