Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South America before Hawaii?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2012, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
South America before Hawaii?

I was talking to a WN captain at ABQ today. He said that the conjecture among some WN pilots is that South America will happen before Hawaii does. Seems that proposed work rule changes for the various unions suggest that may be the current thinking at GK-ville, also WN may be aiming to gain some advantage over AA, who has a lot of South America business, in their current weakened state.

He qualified his comments by saying this conjecture was just an educated guess.

Aagghh! wrong forum - mods pls move to Southwest. Sorry.

Last edited by johnslloyd; Oct 1, 2012 at 9:58 pm Reason: my bad
Old Oct 1, 2012, 9:58 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Are you sure you posted this in the right forum?
Old Oct 1, 2012, 10:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by johnslloyd
I was talking to a WN captain at ABQ today. He said that the conjecture among some WN pilots is that South America will happen before Hawaii does. Seems that proposed work rule changes for the various unions suggest that may be the current thinking at GK-ville, also WN may be aiming to gain some advantage over AA, who has a lot of South America business, in their current weakened state.

He qualified his comments by saying this conjecture was just an educated guess.

Aagghh! wrong forum - mods pls move to Southwest. Sorry.
I'm going to alert the mods as this is in the wrong forum! Moo, Moo ! Most people here don't know what WN is...something to do with cattle calling, not sure.

/s
Old Oct 1, 2012, 10:18 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please follow in the Southwest Forum.
Obscure2k
DL Moderator
Old Oct 1, 2012, 10:22 pm

Programs: I fly for free.
Flight crews know nothing what the plans are.

End of story.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 11:15 pm

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Originally Posted by PA42

End of story.
And FT members on here seems to know everything.

End of story.

LMAO
Old Oct 2, 2012, 1:02 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

GK has been talking South America for quite a long time:
Originally Posted by ftnoob
Somewhere I also read that South America would be next after the near-international markets, with Europe not in the cards.
I thought at the time, and still do, that the SA and Europe comments came from a quarterly earnings release conference call Q&A, but can't provide a reference
Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:02 am

And FT members on here seems to know everything.

End of story.

LMAO
When it comes to this subject some like myself, do.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:49 am

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Originally Posted by PA42
When it comes to this subject some like myself, do.
And that is a bigger LMFAO.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 11:49 am

PA42

End of story.
Many people, inside and outside the Company, have assumed that the inevitable 1st breaking of the ETOPs barrier will be Hawaii service. As per the OP, the pilot apparently stated there is some conjecture about this vs. other options.

As you know, every conceivable possibility, rumour, and flight of fancy will be speculated upon throughout the Company. Some employees don't have a clue, others don't care, and some have access to inside channels that give them an idea of the possibilities being examined.
This is true across many employee groups, including flight crews and AirTran imports to the G.O.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 2:04 pm

And that is a bigger LMFAO.
Mind sharing why is it a bigger LMFAO?

Some employees don't have a clue, others don't care, and some have access to inside channels that give them an idea of the possibilities being examined.
This is true across many employee groups, including flight crews and AirTran imports to the G.O.
Exactly my point, its futile to constantly speculate on the subject. There is a constant stream of "I have heard from XX flight crew that XX airline is going to do this, is it true?" which transforms into nothing but speculation, which is all it is especially coming from a source like a flight crew which more often than not is one of the least reliable sources when it comes to strategic planning.

Last edited by PA42; Oct 2, 2012 at 2:16 pm
Old Oct 3, 2012, 9:15 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
I don't have a map in front of me....I am thinking where could you fly in South America with just a 737. Same with Europe flying out of NYC or BOS.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 9:54 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Houston to Caracas is shorter than BWI - LAX.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by lougord99
Houston to Caracas is shorter than BWI - LAX.
Not only that, but the current 7-day purchase in coach for something like CHI-CCS is almost $1800. Being able to charge $899 WGA fares for those kinds of 1-stop routes has got to be awfully tempting.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
Not only that, but the current 7-day purchase in coach for something like CHI-CCS is almost $1800. Being able to charge $899 WGA fares for those kinds of 1-stop routes has got to be awfully tempting.
Yes, but the U.S. and Venezuela do not have an Open Skies treaty; frequencies are limited. WN's Government Affairs staff will need to be a lot faster than the group that's been holding back international ticketing capability for years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.