Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South America before Hawaii?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2012, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I think Central and close South America are inevitable once the proper facilities are built at HOU. As for Hawaii, competition seems to be pretty heavy during the off-peak times -- fares tend to be quite reasonable. I wonder if WN really wants to jump into an already-hypercompetitive market. They seem to be growing more conservative and want to jump into higher fare markets.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 5:24 pm

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP
Originally Posted by formeraa
As for Hawaii, competition seems to be pretty heavy during the off-peak times -- fares tend to be quite reasonable.
Exactly, currently sub-$300 r/t fares between the bay area and OGG for Nov/Dec on HA/AS. Probably not much room for a traditional "Southwest Effect" on these routes.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Yes, but the U.S. and Venezuela do not have an Open Skies treaty; frequencies are limited. WN's Government Affairs staff will need to be a lot faster than the group that's been holding back international ticketing capability for years.
I was only referring to the HOU-CCS example given by the poster before me.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chuckworth
Exactly, currently sub-$300 r/t fares between the bay area and OGG for Nov/Dec on HA/AS. Probably not much room for a traditional "Southwest Effect" on these routes.
Precisely. I just managed to score a ticket during the Christmas holidays on PHX-HNL for under $500 roundtrip by being a bit flexible (one way on HA, the other way on US) and got the exact times/dates that I wanted. I've been paying $700-$800 the past couple of years.

Even the previous fears/rumors of WN entering the interisland market don't seem to be WN's emphasis right now. WN has been cutting back on short haul frequencies and fares are much higher, as noted in other threads.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 3:00 pm

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Precisely. I just managed to score a ticket during the Christmas holidays on PHX-HNL for under $500 roundtrip by being a bit flexible (one way on HA, the other way on US) and got the exact times/dates that I wanted. I've been paying $700-$800 the past couple of years.

Even the previous fears/rumors of WN entering the interisland market don't seem to be WN's emphasis right now. WN has been cutting back on short haul frequencies and fares are much higher, as noted in other threads.
To probably make room for new flights. They are not going to cut those flights and park those planes somewhere.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 6:07 pm

WN has been cutting back on short haul frequencies and fares are much higher, as noted in other threads.
Southwest Outlines Yield Softness

A nearly 2% decline in Southwests capacity in Aug-2012 on traffic growth of 0.1% helped the carrier grow its load factor for the month to 84.2%, which senior vice president of planning Tammy Romo cited as very strong. However, she admitted the carrier has seen some softness in yields, and stated the airline has "been aggressively pushing fares where we can.

So far during 2012 Southwest has pushed through four fare increases compared with a total of roughly eight instituted during 2012. The potential for fewer fare increases being introduced in 2012 could suggest some consumer push back to airlines attempting to raise prices.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by lougord99
Houston to Caracas is shorter than BWI - LAX.
My guess WN will start service to BOG, LIM, CTG, CCS, GYE, UIO, GEO, SCL, REC, MAO, MDE, AXM.

Let's find out soon enough. If they negotiating from FA. Surely, I hope so.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by N830MH
My guess WN will start service to BOG, LIM, CTG, CCS, GYE, UIO, GEO, SCL, REC, MAO, MDE, AXM.

All with existing and FL livery?

Nothing in their recent history portends such an undertaking.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 12:07 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by N830MH

I just dont see it....

I can see them working some of American's big destinations.

I personally see them going more toward the vacation destinations like St Martaan, belize, costa rica before getting into South America.

I also see them adding a code share agreement with a larger Cemtral/South American airline.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 12:17 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by djp98374
I just dont see it....

I can see them working some of American's big destinations.

I personally see them going more toward the vacation destinations like St Martaan, belize, costa rica before getting into South America.

I also see them adding a code share agreement with a larger Cemtral/South American airline.
Definitely. Aside from the existing FL stations in the Caribbean and Central America I see markets like BZE, SJO, GCM, perhaps CZM, and so forth.

Gol would seem to be the first airline to come to mind as a potential partner for deeper South America.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SDCA
To probably make room for new flights. They are not going to cut those flights and park those planes somewhere.
Based on the info in LegalTender's post, it appears that WN is in fact parking the planes. They have reduced capacity overall and refocused resources on longer haul flights.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by johnslloyd
I was talking to a WN captain at ABQ today. He said that the conjecture among some WN pilots is that South America will happen before Hawaii does. Seems that proposed work rule changes for the various unions suggest that may be the current thinking at GK-ville, also WN may be aiming to gain some advantage over AA, who has a lot of South America business, in their current weakened state.
On a recent OAK-ONT flight, the captain gave us a long dissertation about the 30 something new 738s they have. He said they'd be flying to South America and Hawaii by the end of year. Pretty bold to be making these statements if they weren't reality.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Michael El
He said they'd be flying to South America and Hawaii by the end of year. Pretty bold to be making these statements if they weren't reality.
The "end of the year" is way better than bold.

It's hallucinatory.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 10:29 pm

Programs: I fly for free.
The "end of the year" is way better than bold.

It's hallucinatory.
There really is nothing more rich than strategic storytelling from flight crews. Its always a good laugh.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 11:33 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Who dares claim there is no IFE on WN?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.