Search

SW Drink Coupons question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2003, 9:20 am
Original Poster

SW Drink Coupons question

Hello,

I am a novice SW flyer.

I have 4 drink coupons. Do I get anymore before my flight? DO they give them to you at the gate?

Can you use these to buy cocktails?

How many would it take to get a bloody mary or rum n coke etc.

How many just to get a coke?

Old Jan 26, 2003, 11:26 am

Programs: AA Plat, BA, DL, Frontier, NWA, SWA, UA, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, Choice Priv, BW, Diners
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by luddgang:
Hello,

I am a novice SW flyer.

I have 4 drink coupons. Do I get anymore before my flight? DO they give them to you at the gate?

Can you use these to buy cocktails?

How many would it take to get a bloody mary or rum n coke etc.

How many just to get a coke?

</font>
In my experience you can only COUNT on getting drink coupons with your Rapid Reward award tickets. You may get them at other times (I've seen them given out in SOME cases of delays, I've seen them do impromptu contests OCCASIONALLY where that might be one prize, etc, and sometimes your fellow passenger might have some to give you that they're not using).

Assuming the "prices" haven't changed since December, you need 3 coupons for beer or wine, 4 coupons for cocktails.

Non-alcoholic beverages (including Coke classic and Diet Coke, and btw including Bloody Mary MIX) are always FREE (no $ needed, no drink coupons needed!).

They ask you what you'd like on most Southwest flights of signficant distance, tho I've been on some short-hop morning flights where they come by automatically with orange juice and coffee and you have to remember to ask (in time) if you want something else instead.

[This message has been edited by Stefan Daystrom (edited 01-26-2003).]
Old Jan 26, 2003, 11:40 am

luddgang, welcome to Southwest.

A booklet of Drink Coupons is sent out with each Rapid Rewards Award Ticket you earn. None are given out at the gate. The coupons are valid for beer or mixed drinks.

If your four drink coupons are the old (even expired) ones, they will be accepted as "Payment In Full" according to the values stated on the coupons.

Older Drink Coupon Values Were:
Beer or Wine: One Coupon
Mixed Drinks: Two Coupons

Current Drink Coupon Values Are:
Beer or Wine: Three Coupons
Mixed Drinks: Four Coupons

Soft drinks are at no charge.

------------------
The best revenge is living well.
Old Jan 26, 2003, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
How many coupons [or drink equivalents] does one get per 16-RR point award ticket?
Old Jan 26, 2003, 12:51 pm

I believe the current books include 12 coupons.

Three Jack Daniels if you please.

------------------
The best revenge is living well.
Old Jan 26, 2003, 6:54 pm

And, I've occasionally had a delayed flight that they told me just to keep the drink coupons when I ordered--but not the last flight...

JP
Old Jan 26, 2003, 7:58 pm

I've had had the same experience. The FA's sometimes must just feel nice and let you keep them.
Old Jan 27, 2003, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
You can also buy drink coupons on ebay - usually cheaper than buying the drinks.

They did not even collect them on my last flight as I volunteered to make change.

Also, I am told that drink coupons never really expire, although I believe this is an informal policy subject to the whims of your flight attendants.
Old Jan 27, 2003, 6:19 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Boraxo:
You can also buy drink coupons on ebay...</font>
You can say that again, take a look what one seller has sold in just the past 30 days: http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...sort=3&rows=25

It kind of makes you wonder just where he got so many drink booklets...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.