Wiki Posts
Search

Does Southwest bump?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2003, 9:25 pm
formerly known as CARTflagman
Original Poster

Does Southwest bump?

Do they ever ask for volunteers? How much have you received?

Thanks,

CF
Old Jan 26, 2003, 10:08 pm

Programs: AC, WN, AA
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CART_Flagman:

Thanks,

CF
</font>
They do occasionally ask for volunteers. The one time they asked for volunteers on my flight, they were offering $200.
Old Jan 26, 2003, 10:38 pm

I've seen bumps offered several times--from what I've seen, they usually offer vouchers for $100 or $200 plus the one-way value of your ticket. Also, I've seen them make the offer on-board after the plane has been fully boarded.

The one time that stands out for me was the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend, last OAK-LAS of the day. They were oversold by two, offered $100 plus the one-way value of the ticket, and there were actually four people willing to volunteer. I would have made out better than most everyone else on board since I was flying on a full-fare ticket, but there was no way I was going to take a bump from the last flight of the evening for only $200.

[This message has been edited by EnhancedByCO (edited 01-26-2003).]
Old Jan 26, 2003, 10:51 pm

Programs: WN:No status in 2015; UA:1K long gone (1995-2003).
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CART_Flagman:

Thanks,

CF
</font>
I was (voluntarily) bumped ten days ago in a situation where all remaining LAX-LAS flights were sold out on a Friday night and the "priority standby" policy applied...

Excerpted from the Southwest website:

Southwest Airlines Customer Service Commitment
Overbooking

Volunteers

If you volunteer to give up your seat in an oversale situation and we can rebook you and accept your ticket on the next Southwest Airlines departure to your destination, we will also give you a travel voucher in the amount of $100 plus an amount equal to the face value of your remaining one-way flight coupon(s).

If the flight to your destination immediately after your originally scheduled flight is booked to or beyond capacity, you will be placed on a "priority standby" list and your compensation will increase to a travel voucher in the amount of $200 plus an amount equal to the face value of your remaining one-way flight coupon(s). If you are not accommodated as a standby Customer, we will confirm you on the next Southwest Airlines flight with seats available to your destination. You will not incur an increase in fare.

http://www.southwest.com/about_swa/c...erbooking.html
Old Jan 26, 2003, 11:12 pm
formerly known as CARTflagman
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I'm starting to fly them up and down the west coast, just want to get a handle on what I can expect.

CF
Old Jan 27, 2003, 10:07 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Nevada1K:
I was (voluntarily) bumped ten days ago in a situation where all remaining LAX-LAS flights were sold out on a Friday night and the "priority standby" policy applied...</font>
It's good that they have a consistent policy; although I find it interesting that if the next flight is the next day, it is still treated at the $100 level (as with my OAK-LAS experience). At the same time, I guess there are plenty of people out there willing to only accept $100+ for being delayed a day...

[This message has been edited by EnhancedByCO (edited 01-27-2003).]
Old Jan 27, 2003, 10:45 am

Yep,

Just cashed in my $191 voucher from last Aug. 2002, to be used toward my Vegas trip for 2003.

Total out of pocket cost Detroit to Vegas - $60.
Old Jan 31, 2003, 12:12 am

Bumping compnsation depends on a lot of things. The rule of thumb is: if you can get the passenger out on a later flight then it's $100 plus the cost of the one way ticket. If they have to spend the night it's $200 plus the cost of the one way, a hotel voucher and dinner.

Old Jan 31, 2003, 9:17 am

We took a voluntary bump over Thanksgiving on SWA from MCO- and we were flying on an RR ticket! We got $50 for the RR ticket, plus $200 in travel vouchers. They put us up at the MCO Hyatt, gave us dinner vouchers and put us out on the first flight out the next morning (which was also oversold, and they were looking for volunteers there too).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.