Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finally MDW Food Upgrade!

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by palmetto86
These are just the first rebrandings...way more food options on the way. Read article I posted in OP. Here's another one as well: http://www.dailyherald.com/news/2017...way-food-spots

I view any new food options as an upgrade to what was there. MDW had the worst food options of any WN hub by far...
From that article "The redo will bring three sit-down restaurants, a better selection of wines and more unique Chicago-based dining, officials said."

Who goes to an airport for sit down restaurants, especially one that doesn't have that many international flights where you must be at the airport 2 hours before departure. And a better wine selection? At an airport?
Old May 22, 2017, 8:29 pm

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP
Potbelly wanted to stay but apparently the city had other intentions. Potbelly's CEO even commented about this on their Q1 earnings call calling this store one of their most important and the closure hurts. This was their busiest location in the system, accounting for something like $2MM in profit on $8MM in sales annually. I really don't think Home Run Inn will do anywhere near those numbers.

Heard the lines at the new places have been horrible, nothing is quick and prices are higher than before. I will be there tomorrow for the first time since the change over and will be interested to see it first hand.
Old May 22, 2017, 9:05 pm

Ugh. Quick in and out over the weekend, and the lines were indeed awful. Hopefully that improves over time, but I'm not super confident given the "concepts" at some of the new places.

No McDonalds, and really, no familiar fast service place. So no quick happy meal for the kids or egg McMuffin when you're in a hurry. That's a huge mistake.

Still no Starbucks (although multiple Dunkin' Donuts and the two espresso places are better than nothing).

Goodbye Lalo's and their breakfasts -- where many crew often ate. And worst of all, goodbye Potbelly, a go-to for quick service even when lines were long.

At least they didn't touch Pegasus or Nuts on Clark.
Old May 23, 2017, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Putnik
From that article "The redo will bring three sit-down restaurants, a better selection of wines and more unique Chicago-based dining, officials said."

Who goes to an airport for sit down restaurants, especially one that doesn't have that many international flights where you must be at the airport 2 hours before departure. And a better wine selection? At an airport?
Yeah, the idea of more sit-down restaurants at an airport seems crazy. Who has time?

RIP Potbelly. That place was successful. Doubt the replacement will come close. I have a feeling someone did not get paid off.

They ought to put a Tortas Frontera in. The one in T3 at ORD seems very busy and is surely making a ton of money at those prices.
Old May 23, 2017, 5:55 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by ursine1
No McDonalds, and really, no familiar fast service place. So no quick happy meal for the kids or egg McMuffin when you're in a hurry. That's a huge mistake.
I agree with both. I don't need a sit-down place; I need a quick and familiar name where I can grab something fast. Familiar name. McDonald's was fine. Subway would be fine. I have simple needs and a sit-down place with wine isn't one of them.
Old May 23, 2017, 6:08 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, RR A-List
Ugh. Heading to MDW now; just saw that Manny's is no more! Now where can I get an omelette and my daughter pancakes before departure?
Old May 23, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by smmrfld
LAS beats MDW by a mile. Truly awful.
LOL My next flight is to LAS. Looks like I shouldn't look forward to eating there!
Old May 23, 2017, 11:12 am

Having celiac, I see no improvement in dining options (not like there was really any to begin with).
Old May 23, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, RR A-List
Originally Posted by kerrigjl
Ugh. Heading to MDW now; just saw that Manny's is no more! Now where can I get an omelette and my daughter pancakes before departure?
She enjoyed her chocolate sprinkle donut from Dunkin at least. Not exactly the most healthy start for a 3 year old (I guess neither are pancakes and eggs), but I miss Manny's!
Old May 23, 2017, 9:13 pm
glg

I never go to McD's after breakfast, but being able to grab a quick mcmuffin before a 6am flight is pretty common for me. What's the new quick option for breakfast when you're barely awake at 5:30am?

And worst of all, goodbye Potbelly, a go-to for quick service even when lines were long.
They really have their act together and the lines move. There's one in the Chicago Loop near my office that I hit from time to time. Lines a mile long but it doesn't matter, still fast.
Old May 25, 2017, 9:49 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred & CP
Originally Posted by palmetto86
These are just the first rebrandings...way more food options on the way. Read article I posted in OP. Here's another one as well: http://www.dailyherald.com/news/2017...way-food-spots

I view any new food options as an upgrade to what was there. MDW had the worst food options of any WN hub by far...
Yes, I live in Chicago and practically live in MDW and am well aware of everything that is coming down the pike.

Again I ask -- which of the new options do you consider an upgrade?

Probably going to start asking my cab drivers to stop at Machetes on Cicero en route to the airport and bringing my own food
Old May 25, 2017, 10:02 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred & CP
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
They ought to put a Tortas Frontera in. The one in T3 at ORD seems very busy and is surely making a ton of money at those prices.
When they originally reported significant dining upgrades I was thinking along the same lines -- some of the great options at ORD like Frontera, Publican, Summer House, Goddess and Grocer, Wow Bao, RJ Grunts (which also double as actual, popular restaurants in Chicago proper so at least there is some local flair). Or possibly some of the places that are popping up at Chicago's new food halls and could realistically be airport options like Aloha Poke, Budlong, Farmer's Fridge, Pastoral, Furious Spoon...

Instead MDW replaced everything with a bunch of generic restaurants with crappy menus and Sysco food. It's reminiscent of a ballpark in the 1990s.
Old May 26, 2017, 12:02 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Not happy about Potbelly going away. The prices reported make me appreciate airports like PHX, SEA, PDX and others that make vendors charge street pricing. Heck, I'll even pay higher prices for decent food (Lemonade at LAX T5 is a perfect example).

Guess it'll be imperative to get food and bring it with me.

Originally Posted by konems
some of the great options at ORD like Frontera, Publican, Summer House, Goddess and Grocer, Wow Bao, RJ Grunts
Those places (except Frontera) must be over in International, because some of the worst food I've had in an airport came from the L gates at ORD. Frontera is pretty good though.
Old May 29, 2017, 7:30 pm

I always stopped at Potbellys. Prices were great. Speed was great. This is definitely a step backwards.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 4:28 am

Programs: AAMastercard, ChaseSouthwest
Nooooo.
Yes, it is sad that Potbelly will be gone. It was a low-cost option for my low-cost airline. Supposedly that location was the most profitable also.

It is now a Home Run Inn pizza.

I did hear that salaries went up for workers and they are getting health care - so that is a great benefit. However, I wish they could have kept the Potbelly with the new 21 restaurants.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.