Wiki Posts
Search

Finally MDW Food Upgrade!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
Finally MDW Food Upgrade!

I searched the forum, but haven't seen any other posts about this news. My coworker just shared this link with me yesterday. He knows how much I hate the food there.

http://chicago.eater.com/2017/3/27/1...i-home-run-inn

Finally some upgrades!
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:30 am

"...it’s similar to the restaurant outside of the stadium formerly called Comiskey Park." ^
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ursine1
"...it’s similar to the restaurant outside of the stadium formerly called Comiskey Park." ^
And they did not call it Cominskey Park. Even better.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Hmmmm, I wonder if they'll be open in time for a 6AM flight? Probably not.

I usually hit the McDonald's in the B concourse. Item: They open at 5AM, which is not early enough for a 5:30 flight, unless I decide to board in the C group. Hint - Open earlier guys!
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, RR A-List
Comeon PP lounge...
Old Apr 28, 2017, 5:47 am

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP
Rumor has it that Potbelly is out with these upcoming changes.
Old May 1, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chuckworth
Rumor has it that Potbelly is out with these upcoming changes.
Nooooo.
Old May 11, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP
Here's the official word from the CDA today:

http://www.flychicago.com/business/m...px?newsid=1379

21 new food and retail brands. Almost all current concessions will be rebranded over the next nine days! Additional concession space to be added by 2020, including three full-service sit-down restaurants.

George's Music Room (Concourse B) is out and moving to Navy Pier.
Old May 12, 2017, 5:46 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by chuckworth
Here's the official word from the CDA today:

http://www.flychicago.com/business/m...px?newsid=1379

21 new food and retail brands. Almost all current concessions will be rebranded over the next nine days! Additional concession space to be added by 2020, including three full-service sit-down restaurants.
As I feared, the McDonald's won't be coming back (at least not according to the Ch. 7 news). As a Midway-originating flyer, I want a quick breakfast, not sushi or pizza. Please keep the McDonald's!
Old May 22, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
As I feared, the McDonald's won't be coming back (at least not according to the Ch. 7 news). As a Midway-originating flyer, I want a quick breakfast, not sushi or pizza. Please keep the McDonald's!
I flew out of Midway this morning. Walked into Potbelly, like I always do, and menu on the wall looked different and there was no more "outside" seating. Then I realized it's now Home Run Inn. I didn't feel like eating pizza at 8 am, so I ordered the italian sandwich. I paid ~$13 (more expensive than Potbelly) and waited 10 minutes, after which one on of the workers came out and told me that they don't have any italian meats to put on the sandwich and if would be ok with turkey instead. I said OK, because I needed to catch my flight. After another 10 minutes, they brought me the sandwich, which tasted OK, but I got to my gate as B30 was already boarding and I had A35.

TLDR; I miss Potbelly.
Old May 22, 2017, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Not that it's the greatest coffee, I do appreciate the new Dunkin kiosks around the airport. There wasn't anywhere good to get coffee before--except for perhaps the Intelligentsia served at Potbelly's.
Old May 22, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred & CP
The food is not an upgrade. Notice that all of the replacements are complete no name restaurants (other than Home Run Inn, which is just serving the same crappy frozen product they peddle to grocery stores).

Potbelly and Manny's were the only halfway-decent options and coupled with the loss of McDonald's everything is pretty much a 15 minute wait or longer. The gulf between ORD and MDW is even larger now, which seems impossible.

OP what food option exactly are you happy about? The new burger place that replaced Manny's in A looked okay but nothing to write home about (and about 30 people in line with another 20 waiting for their food)
Old May 22, 2017, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by konems
The food is not an upgrade. Notice that all of the replacements are complete no name restaurants (other than Home Run Inn, which is just serving the same crappy frozen product they peddle to grocery stores).

Potbelly and Manny's were the only halfway-decent options and coupled with the loss of McDonald's everything is pretty much a 15 minute wait or longer. The gulf between ORD and MDW is even larger now, which seems impossible.

OP what food option exactly are you happy about? The new burger place that replaced Manny's in A looked okay but nothing to write home about (and about 30 people in line with another 20 waiting for their food)
I agree. Airport restaurants should be fast, most people usually don't have an hour + to waste at a sit down place.
Also, Home Run Inn frozen pizza tastes better then the one at their restaurants.
Old May 22, 2017, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by konems

These are just the first rebrandings...way more food options on the way. Read article I posted in OP. Here's another one as well: http://www.dailyherald.com/news/2017...way-food-spots

I view any new food options as an upgrade to what was there. MDW had the worst food options of any WN hub by far...
Old May 22, 2017, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by palmetto86
MDW had the worst food options of any WN hub by far...
LAS beats MDW by a mile. Truly awful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.