Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest was perfect today!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak

I'm not that frequent a flyer, but I had enough points for a wanna get away points ticket from mco-made. Booked it 3 or 4 weeks ago. Today I wanted to leave earlier. Was able use the app to change to earlier flight and got 3000 points back because new flight was cheaper!! I would not have had enough for a more expensive flight. No money changed hands. Then flight was not crowded in that I got an aisle seat with empty middle with a c-13 boarding position. Then the plane arrived early and the gate was ready!
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
As crazy and busy as MCO can be at times, fly in or out of there off-peak and its real quiet and a bargain price. I just flew home from there on a Saturday afternoon in a half-empty plane, which as of the previous day still had WGA seats available for $120. Wait until Sunday and the flight would have been 100% full and the tickets all sold for $220 WGA and sold out a month earlier...
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:05 am
Suspended

Unless it grew a first class and developed assigned seating, I doubt it was "perfect"
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:12 am

No thread is complete without a call for assigned seating...
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Unless it grew a first class and developed assigned seating, I doubt it was "perfect"
...and you are here why?. Their boarding process is one of the best parts of WN. You have plenty of other carrier options if you wanna pay a fee for something other than a window seat.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
No thread is complete without a call for assigned seating...
Or calling for usable WiFi, 12-month-out booking, power ports, AVOD, +bin capacity and +legroom option.

No frills = legendary low fares.

Old Mar 23, 2017, 12:25 pm

If it's not free, gets me anywhere in the world in a fraction of a second, and picks me up right in my bedroom, it's not perfect.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
This is one of the most positive threads I've seen on FT in a long time, and of course somebody just can't control their urge to jump right in and threadcrap.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: WN A List Preferred and CP, AA, IHG Spire, Hertz #1 Gold 5*, Hilton Diamond, Enterprise Platinum
Originally Posted by PAX62
...and you are here why?. Their boarding process is one of the best parts of WN. You have plenty of other carrier options if you wanna pay a fee for something other than a window seat.
^
Old Mar 26, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: LTP, PP

Old Mar 31, 2017, 12:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by steve4031
I got an aisle seat with empty middle
Unless it grew a first class
Not all WN flights have First Class, but this one did! ^
Old Mar 31, 2017, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
Didn't mean to create a stir, lol

I was thinking within the context of what southwest offers I had a perfect experience. Also I was darned lucky. Generally they meet my expectations.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 8:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by steve4031
I was thinking within the context of what southwest offers I had a perfect experience. Also I was darned lucky. Generally they meet my expectations.
You hit upon something I rarely see anymore: a last-minute WGA fare in the lower/middle fare range for a given citypair.

I almost always see AT/BS across the board once inside a week, even when I'm looking at a Tuesday-Thursday trip where at least the Tuesday should have quite a few empty seats. As such, I end up flying a greater mix of AA than WN, even though I'd rather have WN if the fares were simply close.

So count yourself lucky on finding that good fare...
Old Apr 4, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: SPG, Hilton, Hyatt, WN, UAL, AA
Originally Posted by pinniped
You hit upon something I rarely see anymore: a last-minute WGA fare in the lower/middle fare range for a given citypair.
SJC-LAS is frequently available last minute WGA. Makes for some interesting hidden city opportunities. Would be interested in seeing a list of other city pairs as well.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
Going back to the example I posted above... I sometimes fly MDW-MCO but always come home JAX-MDW. A few weeks ago, I was supposed to come home on Sunday but when something else came up, I switched to a return flight on Saturday instead. I made the change three-four days beforehand. JAX-MDW on such short notice was really expensive; in fact, I think WGA was unavailable. So I looked at a return flight from Orlando instead. To my surprise, all half-dozen or so nonstops from MCO-MDW were $120 or close to it. I picked the one I wanted and called it good.

Checking again on Friday night, WGA for Saturday (the next day) was still only $120 for most of the flights. Obviously a real non-peak travel day!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.