Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Booked flight, now on sale for lower price. Options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2017, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

I purchased 2 Wanna Getaway tickets, along with Early Bird Check-in, a couple weeks ago for an October flight, IND to LAS. Today I got an e-mail from Southwest about a sale, and when I check the prices, the total is about $100 lower for the same flights.

Is there a way to get the lower price?
Old Mar 31, 2017, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by dalemccl
I purchased 2 Wanna Getaway tickets, along with Early Bird Check-in, a couple weeks ago for an October flight, IND to LAS. Today I got an e-mail from Southwest about a sale, and when I check the prices, the total is about $100 lower for the same flights.

You can't get a refund of the fare difference, but you can get a credit for the difference, usable on future Southwest flights.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt

Yes, you can get the lower price (not a refund, though). Simply go into your reservation and choose "change" then go through the steps and "change" your flight to the exact same flight. The fare difference will be retained as ticketless travel funds usable only in the names of the traveling passengers good for 1 year from the original date of purchase. If you booked in points, you can do the same thing and the points difference is refunded instantly. ^
Old Mar 31, 2017, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I will do it, although I just checked and the price changed sometime today such that the difference is about half what it was earlier this morning. Still, it will get me about $50 credit for a future flight.

Thanks again.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Thanks. I will do it, although I just checked and the price changed sometime today such that the difference is about half what it was earlier this morning. Still, it will get me about $50 credit for a future flight.

Thanks again.
Rebook the lower fare but keep checking. I've rebooked many flights 2-3 times. Just make sure you keep track of the travel funds you generate. The funds are usable for one year from the date of the original booking. Plus they are only usable in the name of the passenger whose reservation generated them.

Points bookings are just refunded as points with no expiration.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. One additional question. I purchased Earlybird Check-In at the same time as the tickets. Will that automatically transfer to the repriced tickets?
Old Mar 31, 2017, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Thanks. One additional question. I purchased Earlybird Check-In at the same time as the tickets. Will that automatically transfer to the repriced tickets?
Yes. As long as you reprice and do not cancel/rebook.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:38 pm

In theory, yes. However, the conversion to the new booking system is causing some issues, including random loss of EBCI when making itinerary/fare changes, so you'll want to double-check after refaring to make sure it's still there. If not, you'll need to call customer relations.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 7:08 pm

I just did this for my trip and got a refund of 16,000 points. THANK YOU!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.